VPI Record Weight

moray james

Jun 11, 2010
Calgary on the Bow
yahoo.com
Everybody's doing it (your opinion) so it must be ok. Now you have a reason but it's not good enough to post in public. Your skin is pretty thin if you truly consider this a personal attack. I think I explained my problem, would be nice if you would too. You have already stated you are not interested in anything I might have to offer. Are you asking for input from me now with respect to your issue? I may not know much about your attitude but so far what do you think you are showing?
If you sent a copy of this thread to VPI and asked them what they thought what do you think they would say? Maybe the guys at VPI lurk about here just to see what's up? Just a thought. Regards Moray James.

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Just Outside New Orleans, La.
Moray,
First ( Now you have a reason but it's not good enough to post in public) that's your opinion. Second ( Your skin is pretty thin if you truly consider this a personal attack.) what would you call it when you talk about someone you don't even know? Third ( I think I explained my problem,) who knows what your problem is. Fourth ( You have already stated you are not interested in anything I might have to offer. ) how right you are. Fifth ( I may not know much about your attitude) that's for sure. Six ( Maybe the guys at VPI lurk about here just to see what's up? Just a thought. Regards Moray James.) maybe you are one of them, or are keeping them informed who knows. Lastly and really ironicly I sent VPI an email about this subject 11 days ago, do you want to know when they replied? Well I'll tell you anyway, it was yesterday!!! How conventient their reply and this thread!!! Moray don't bother replying to my post I am going to take the high from here on out with you, as it has become clear to me you and I don't see the same!!! Good bye.

Jay

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Moray,
First ( Now you have a reason but it's not good enough to post in public) that's your opinion. Second ( Your skin is pretty thin if you truly consider this a personal attack.) what would you call it when you talk about someone you don't even know? Third ( I think I explained my problem,) who knows what your problem is. Fourth ( You have already stated you are not interested in anything I might have to offer. ) how right you are. Fifth ( I may not know much about your attitude) that's for sure. Six ( Maybe the guys at VPI lurk about here just to see what's up? Just a thought. Regards Moray James.) maybe you are one of them, or are keeping them informed who knows. Lastly and really ironicly I sent VPI an email about this subject 11 days ago, do you want to know when they replied? Well I'll tell you anyway, it was yesterday!!! How conventient their reply and this thread!!! Moray don't bother replying to my post I am going to take the high from here on out with you, as it has become clear to me you and I don't see the same!!! Good bye.

Jay

Jay:

The reason for the delay in responding is that VPI closes down the factory for a week or two in July/August to go on vacation.

moray james

Jun 11, 2010
Calgary on the Bow
yahoo.com
Jay: you yourself have done exactly what it is that you seem to be so upset about. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Calling out a business in public when you don't know them and don't even give them a chance to respond to your concerns. You wrote them off with no thought which is your business but then you bad mouth them for your imagined impression of them. I have no problem with you asking your friends here for opinions and I agree with you that you can obtain a consensus regarding products. My issue was with you dissing VPI with out even asking them for advice and justifying your action by saying that they would not be honest with you. Had you said that you were concerned that they may not have your best interest to heart would have been a fair concern for you to have but you have to give people a reasonable chance to prove their sincerity before you have a reason to complain in public about them. That is the high road. Will some people lie to you probably yes but sooner or later you will find them out and then you can call them on that. Other than that and you are on the slippery slope to conspiracy paranoia where everybody is out to get you. You may have overlooked the fact that you have already linked me to your delayed response from VPI and that I may now actually be an undercover agent of deceit for VPI. Perhaps you can see where this leads.
It should have been clear from my first post that we do not see eye to eye but that does not preclude open discussion of disagreement. That discussion is what leads to understanding. I did not attack you I called you on what I saw as unfair comments towards a company which enjoys a very good long standing reputation. Reputations are very hard to establish and easily damaged by such things as thoughtless or unfounded comments. I will be happy to see you find the answers you seek with respect to your turntable. Good luck with that and I am sure that your findings will be of value to the community here. Regards Moray James.

moray james

Jun 11, 2010
Calgary on the Bow
yahoo.com
Jay I suggest that you use a sandbag to experiment with varying weight to find what works best. You could also use a small cup modified with a hole in the bottom covered by a cap on the inside to provide clearance for the spindle. The cup could be plastic or metal. The idea here is to permit you to vary the weight of the cup with sand or shot to find the weight that sounds best to you. You can then have a solid metal weight of the desired weight made to order. There is a shop in Canada which makes beautiful clamps and weights for about $50.00. Their main business is aerospace manufacture. I think that you may find that different weight vinyl records will sound best with different weight record weights as the records will have different flexural qualities. A range of two or three weights may be your best bet and at $50.00 per weight it won't be a hardship to have the luxury of a range of weights to choose from. You may also find that the simple sandbag sounds better than a solid weight. The sandbag should provide better damping with less weight than a solid metal weight due to the energy conversion caused by partical friction. Good luck regards Moray James.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
The sandbag should provide better damping with less weight than a solid metal weight due to the energy conversion caused by partical friction. Good luck regards Moray James.

Great idea, thank you for sharing this information Moray. You are a very cool headed and reasonable person.

http://twogoodears.blogspot.com/2010/03/quest-for-perfect-turntablerecord-clamp.html

Jay, I use the forums like you do because I've been bitten by hyped up sales pitches, on-line, in catalogs and in stores. Most times I wished I did a little more research and did not jump the gun. I think Morray James suggestions are good ones, ones which will buy you the time to make a decision you will be happy with long term.

That's all I can do as "peacemaker", good luck to all.

moray james

Jun 11, 2010
Calgary on the Bow
yahoo.com
George: thanks that is kind of you to say. I don't think that there is any need for making peace though because nobody is at war. Just because someone does something you don't like does not mean you can't still like the person, its just the action or the behavior that you have a problem with. As much as most people have a hard time with confrontation (me included) it is the only way we can let the other person know how we feel and what we think. If you did not care about someone you simply would not say a thing. Groucho Marx used to give people a hard time some very much so but when asked why he rode some people so hard he said that he only did that with people he really liked. With those he did not like at all he had nothing to say.
With regards to Stefano's beautiful Garrard deck in the picture above he uses a thin kid leather bag and 1mm lead shot 350 grams. The mat is a 1mm thin pig skin on a upgraded Gerrard with a Shindo grease bearing. There is much interesting and useful information on Stefano's blog and tons of music reviews and beautiful pictures. Regards Moray James.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing