VPI Record Weight

moray james

Jun 11, 2010
Calgary on the Bow
yahoo.com
Sorry but I cannot answer your question though I think VPI would be happy to tell you. In the mean time and not to hijack your thread you could have a look at this blog.
http://twogoodears.blogspot.com/2010/03/quest-for-perfect-turntablerecord-clamp.html I would think that while Stephano used 350 grams of 1mm lead shot that 350 grams of steel shot or even sand if the bag does not get too large would work. Easy and fun to play with while you are finding out about the VPI weight. Regards Moray James.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Sorry but I cannot answer your question though I think VPI would be happy to tell you. In the mean time and not to hijack your thread you could have a look at this blog.
http://twogoodears.blogspot.com/2010/03/quest-for-perfect-turntablerecord-clamp.html I would think that while Stephano used 350 grams of 1mm lead shot that 350 grams of steel shot or even sand if the bag does not get too large would work. Easy and fun to play with while you are finding out about the VPI weight. Regards Moray James.

But I noted he's not using an outer ring clamp. That changes things a bit too.

Satch

May 16, 2010
Cocoa Beach, Fl.
The record weight I'm using is the VPI HRX Record Center Weight. 1lb. 11oz. $149.00 from Elusive Disc. Out of stock.

I'm still considering the TTWeights 600 gram TT Outer Ring...

Ray

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Personally, I would be hard pressed to use the VPI centerweight without the peripheral ring - reason being, depending on your VPI platter, the center weight alone can raise the outter edge of old thin LPs 2-3mm, easily... Happened to me a number of times, then finally bought the outer ring too.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Jay,

While you can experiment with different clamps (TTwts, Hi Fi Tuning), you certainly can't go wrong with the VPI.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles,
I already have the VPI screw down clamp that came with my S.M. Is there another that improvers the sound more?

Jay

Yes the metal weight designed 2 b used with the claml.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles you are talking about the $150 one that kinda looks like the ring??? If so please explain how it can improve the sound any more than the screw down one???

Hi Jay,

It does. I don't know why but it does :) The new clamp is heavier, is made of a differernt material and possibly deal with the energy created at the stylus interface differently? I told you a while back about another clamp made of a different material and it certainly changes the sound.

Suggest asking HW for more info :)

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Just Outside New Orleans, La.
Hi Jay,

It does. I don't know why but it does :) The new clamp is heavier, is made of a differernt material and possibly deal with the energy created at the stylus interface differently? I told you a while back about another clamp made of a different material and it certainly changes the sound.

Suggest asking HW for more info :)
Myles,
I think that VPI or any other manufactor would tell you what ever to sell you another of their products, that's why I'd rather hear it from others.

Jay

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles,
I think that VPI or any other manufactor would tell you what ever to sell you another of their products, that's why I'd rather hear it from others.

Jay

Jay:

Possibly but anyone who knows Harry Weisfeld knows he's a straight shooter. Take a look at his responses over at TAS's website to analog fans. He's honest to a fault and will tell you why he chose the route he did to design his tables-and how the different options available help to better integrate his table into different systems.

It's been a long time since I got the clamp/ring but it definitely sounded better than the plastic screw down clamp. This was in part what I wrote about it in an old review at PFO:

Now keeping that cartridge platform stable while playing an LP is far easier said than done. Enter the Scoutmaster's peripheral clamping ring and clamp. While not exactly a new concept, this clamping system elevates the Scoutmaster turntable to a true heavyweight division contender. Transparency is dramatically improved. Instruments are more focused and three-dimensional. Macrodynamics hook you. Most of all, the 'table's noise floor hits the canvas.

Yet, there was a chink in the table's armor. No matter what LP was spun, the microdynamics, otherwise known to musicians as dynamic accents, were not right. The music was just a touch too laid back. Was this another case of ridding some colorations and producing an overdamped sound? Could readjusting the cartridge's VTA restore the missing microdynamics? After all, it's very easy to use VTA as a tone control. First, the VTA was dropped with no luck. Next, the VTA was raised. Bingo! The missing microdynamics were restored.

moray james

Jun 11, 2010
Calgary on the Bow
yahoo.com
Jay: you have a very sad outlook toward people. I am sorry for you and what ever took you there. How do you think you would feel toward a customer of yours who came to you with your own attitude? Kind of a self defeating situation don't you think? Before you get defensive answer me this. If you don't trust the maker of your turntable enough to even ask him for honest advice concerning his own product why did you buy the turntable in the first place? What is the point of dealing with people that you don't trust?
VPI have a good reason to treat you with honesty you are after all one of their customers and they would like to keep you as such. While people here are wiling to provide friendly and heplpful assistance they don't have any investment in you one way or the other they provide their opinions only based upon personal experiences. You seem to put more faith in the man on the street than you do in the maker of your TT. A part of what you pay for when you make a purchase is the support of the manufacturer. If they fail to provide you with quality support then tell them and tell them that you are taking your business else where. Don't come on a public forum and suggest that "so and so would sell his mother for a quarter" because that is what you have done.. Sorry to be such a heavy but this one really pushes a button for me. Regards Moray James.

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Moray,
Let me say this, firstly you don't even know me and secondly you are intitled to your opinion as am I. You have gotten into and tried to hijack this thread by attacking me as a person. I am not going to get into a pissing contest with you nor am I going to take anything from you either!!! I would hardly consider anyone on this forum a man on the street, the good folks here are very knowledgeable and that's why I trust them. Also if you get a concensus of opinions the numbers usually don't lie. Good luck to you in the future with your so perfect of a life, and for god sakes come out of that bubble you live in!!!

Jay
Jay: you have a very sad outlook toward people. I am sorry for you and what ever took you there. How do you think you would feel toward a customer of yours who came to you with your own attitude? Kind of a self defeating situation don't you think? Before you get defensive answer me this. If you don't trust the maker of your turntable enough to even ask him for honest advice concerning his own product why did you buy the turntable in the first place? What is the point of dealing with people that you don't trust?
VPI have a good reason to treat you with honesty you are after all one of their customers and they would like to keep you as such. While people here are wiling to provide friendly and heplpful assistance they don't have any investment in you one way or the other they provide their opinions only based upon personal experiences. You seem to put more faith in the man on the street than you do in the maker of your TT. A part of what you pay for when you make a purchase is the support of the manufacturer. If they fail to provide you with quality support then tell them and tell them that you are taking your business else where. Don't come on a public forum and suggest that "so and so would sell his mother for a quarter" because that is what you have done.. Sorry to be such a heavy but this one really pushes a button for me. Regards Moray James.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think manufacturers/distributors/dealers almost have a duty to promote the products they represent, after all their companies are the ones proving them with a cheque at the end of the week. However, and its a big however, that doesn't mean alternatives shouldn't be offered up when it makes sense. When this happens it sends a message to the user that signals one of understanding your needs and requirements. I appreciate this kind of informed and truthful diagnosis by them, and I am more likely to revisit that dealer for my next upgrade. Unfortunately, I haven't come across a lot of them.

John

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
I think manufacturers/distributors/dealers almost have a duty to promote the products they represent, after all their companies are the ones proving them with a cheque at the end of the week. However, and its a big however, that doesn't mean alternatives shouldn't be offered up when it makes sense. When this happens it sends a message to the user that signals one of understanding your needs and requirements. I appreciate this kind of informed and truthful diagnosis by them, and I am more likely to revisit that dealer for my next upgrade. Unfortunately, I haven't come across a lot of them.

John
John,
I agree with you on this.

Jay

moray james

Jun 11, 2010
Calgary on the Bow
yahoo.com
Jay I asked you to answer a question before you got defensive on me. Question stands. I guess that we will have to agree disagree. I don't know you but I do know that I would not want to do business with anyone who came to the table with your stated attitude. Without giving reason you have publically called into question the integrity of a fine company which is well respected in the audio community. I stand by my comments.

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Moray,
Yea me and a million other people have as you say called out a very fine co. Because I didn't state a reason doesn't mean I didn't have one. Further, again you attacked me by saying something about my attitude of which you know nothing about!! Tell me just what is your problem? You continue to post in a thread that I started to aquire some info but, you have yet to offer any!!! If you don't have any info why not just stay out of this thread.

Jay

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing