Metronome Kalista owners

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Yeah Ian,
I think you will find though most of us are talking in the context of huge improvement for preferences rather than from an objective/technical view; after all bass/timing/phase/filter effects/etc will be subtle changes but from a preference perspective one could mean the difference of very happy to meh.
Some will prefer dCS, others Esoteric, and others Zanden or Metronome-etc as you note.
And staying with what you mention, the difference I note between the AES and SPDIF for the Metronome T3A transport is subtle but great enough that hands down for me my preference is the AES for both short and long term listening (noticing same traits mentioned by reviewer John Bamford).
Funny enough I can say the same about Dartzeel CTH integrated; from a preference perspective there is a big difference between the integrated playing from cold and being on for 4+ hours (I find it so satisfying/engaging) - I really struggle enjoying the zeel from cold when compared to it left on.
Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Would anybody know the fuse value of the Electra PSU , any feedback on trying an after market fuse if possible .. thanks

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
Hi Orb

Thank you.

I agree with your analysis though I think, for the benefit of the occasional reader, better terminology would help.

Thesaurus: "huge - unusually great in size or amount or degree or especially extent or scope"

So in this context I would suggest huge (to me, a pretty objective word) would mean significantly recognisably different to a large majority of listeners within a short period of time.

Another word? Tremendous is better. Though it can still mean huge. Marvelous and fantastic are better as they are (I think) more subjective and less objective expressions. In fact, just try saying the words huge, marvelous and fantastic out loud. The latter two sound much more "an opinion" whereas the former sounds "a fact". IMO!!!

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Me being a marvelous/fantastic hater will be sticking with huge when discussing subjective preference difference if it is applicable :)
But marvelous and fantastic that we are discussing the point boom boom :)
But this is digressing from the original posts relevant to Metronome and specifically the AES/SPDIF.
Cheers
Orb

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am sure that the Metronome and the Zanden are fantastic pieces of kit. I know the Esoteric is, having seen one and heard one.

We all get enthused by changes (and the 'improvements" which go with them) - and I am as guilty as others - but I suggest the expressions need to be tempered. If the addition of a base makes a "huge" improvement, then the removal of the base, by definition, leads to a "huge" worsening. Which is somewhat of a criticism of the remaining kit. It won't "work" without the base!

And this also possibly suggests that the space for further improvement in future remains "huge", and that changes we make now, regarded as significant and probably costly, will fade in significance (and in resale value should that be pertinent) in two or three years' time as a new ancillary designs emerge.

I don't deny that changes which are inaudible or trivial for some will be material, even significant, for others. But I think that expressions need to be used with care - were I to have rated equipment changes, on a scale of 1 to 10, be they absolute improvements over what we had at the time or narrowings of the gap between what we had at the time and perceived perfection, I would suggest that there have probably been less than ten or twenty scores at the 'huge" or "10" level over the past 60 years - which I am not going to attempt to suggest save for one, the original Quad ESL. "Huge" improvement at the time and still regarded as "hugely" significant now.

All IMHO!!!

Ian - point well taken. Let me try to explain my impression of the mighty Metronome Kalista (without Base) and with Base:

1. Without Base: very detailed and very smooth...extremely capable and an impressive piece of equipment. At the time, I specifically noted to the Distributor who was setting up a demo nearby "wonderfully smooth and detailed, but its almost as if thefrequency spectrum is uneven". Don't get me wrong, incredibly good transport, but this was not an error of omission but of commission and it was disturbing in a transport so expensive.

2. He came over and took 15 minutes out from setting up the demo and installed the base underneath. Frequency 'waver' was completely gone, and as a result, the musical message also became more concentrated and easy to listen to because there was no 'mini-wobble'. Flow significantly improved as a result.

So yes, it was a big difference but not because of anything other than [I have subsequently read] a very high sensitivity to the underlying support. In this case, it was an old bookshelf the dealer used that was heavy duty but perhaps had some resonance...could not say.

Put another way, it took an 'exceptionally capable transport' into the realm of 'magic'. And by the way, I have found less detailed, less capable transports with 'magic' (ie good balance for my ears), but there was no magic with the Metronome transport for me without that base (on that dealer's particular shelving)...and that's a lot of money to go with detail but some kind of super-subtle 'waver' and thus no magic.

Could I mask it in a system with loads of other components that have magic? sure...but for that kinda money, I was initially disappointed and would not have ever thought of going to that price point. I would have much been happier savings loads of money and getting less detail, less smoothness, but a balance of music that overall i preferred (with the money in my pocket). By contrast, I was literally within a 10% pricing difference on negotiating to buy the Metronome Kalista Ref once 9 months after that day...yes, it was for a lot more than the regular Kalista, but again i'd rather just save my money if it were without the Base...fortunately, the Kalista Ref went to someone else who must be very happy, and I found my 2nd hand Zanden Transport 2 years later for a lot less.

Next time, I will try to explain a bit better, because generally I agree with you...non-specific hyperbole does not help any of us understand anything. And it gets tiresome. Hope the above helps a bit. Essentially, the difference of the Base for me was the difference between not wanting to buy the Metronome at all...preferring to save the money and actually preferring the balance of a 'lesser transport' that struck me as being better balanced overall in terms of its presentation...and being very happy to pay a lot more for the Kalista Ref (ie, the beefed up transport with Base) because it brought a special 'magic' that is rare indeed.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) the Kalista Ref (ie, the beefed up transport with Base) because it brought a special 'magic' that is rare indeed.

Lloyd,

Having hosted the Kalista Ref with the base and the matching converter I can confirm that the system had some special magic. Unfortunately it was very expensive magic and it had to leave my system ...

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
There is a little more to the base than just the acrylic plinth . There are 3 steel coasters concave in nature, onto which are placed steel bearings . The underside of the plinth has a matching footer , similar in dimension to the coaster and thus the plinth actually suspends on the steel bearings . Fantastic bit of kit . The day a computer server matches or surpasses this level of refinement and performance , is the day I stop spinning CD's . Until then viva Redbook .

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
The day a computer server matches or surpasses this level of refinement and performance , is the day I stop spinning CD's . Until then viva Redbook .
I fully agree on that.

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
Ian - point well taken. Let me try to explain my impression of the mighty Metronome Kalista (without Base) and with Base:

1. Without Base: very detailed and very smooth...extremely capable and an impressive piece of equipment. At the time, I specifically noted to the Distributor who was setting up a demo nearby "wonderfully smooth and detailed, but its almost as if thefrequency spectrum is uneven". Don't get me wrong, incredibly good transport, but this was not an error of omission but of commission and it was disturbing in a transport so expensive.

2. He came over and took 15 minutes out from setting up the demo and installed the base underneath. Frequency 'waver' was completely gone, and as a result, the musical message also became more concentrated and easy to listen to because there was no 'mini-wobble'. Flow significantly improved as a result.

So yes, it was a big difference but not because of anything other than [I have subsequently read] a very high sensitivity to the underlying support. In this case, it was an old bookshelf the dealer used that was heavy duty but perhaps had some resonance...could not say.

Put another way, it took an 'exceptionally capable transport' into the realm of 'magic'. And by the way, I have found less detailed, less capable transports with 'magic' (ie good balance for my ears), but there was no magic with the Metronome transport for me without that base (on that dealer's particular shelving)...and that's a lot of money to go with detail but some kind of super-subtle 'waver' and thus no magic. ...

Next time, I will try to explain a bit better, because generally I agree with you...non-specific hyperbole does not help any of us understand anything. And it gets tiresome. Hope the above helps a bit. Essentially, the difference of the Base for me was the difference between not wanting to buy the Metronome at all...preferring to save the money and actually preferring the balance of a 'lesser transport' that struck me as being better balanced overall in terms of its presentation...and being very happy to pay a lot more for the Kalista Ref (ie, the beefed up transport with Base) because it brought a special 'magic' that is rare indeed.

Thank you very much for going to the trouble of explaining this. I do believe that your original post was sincere and not designed to be an exaggeration. I suspect it is a function of all our five senses that when an experience is perceived to be better than anything which has gone before, it can be categorised as huge, in part because we have no frame of reference to judge how close that takes us to "the ultimate".

In this context, the cost (provided one has the funds) becomes irrelevant and the urge of ownership becomes very powerful. I've been there myself.

And, of course, I've never gone back, perhaps a year later, to test whether my overwhelming enthusiasm was justified or misplaced, not least because I don't really want to know the answer!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you very much for going to the trouble of explaining this. I do believe that your original post was sincere and not designed to be an exaggeration. I suspect it is a function of all our five senses that when an experience is perceived to be better than anything which has gone before, it can be categorised as huge, in part because we have no frame of reference to judge how close that takes us to "the ultimate".

In this context, the cost (provided one has the funds) becomes irrelevant and the urge of ownership becomes very powerful. I've been there myself.

And, of course, I've never gone back, perhaps a year later, to test whether my overwhelming enthusiasm was justified or misplaced, not least because I don't really want to know the answer!

Thanks for that, Ian...very gracious. And yes, I am with you on that last bit. I never look back...but then again, if it makes you happy, what the heck! Its done...just enjoy it!

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
The calypso- i

1148771_701895303170610_793425870_n.jpg 1150836_701895313170609_395177548_n.jpg 558526_701895319837275_351900101_n.jpg 483966_701895359837271_635400607_n.jpg

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
21439_701895356503938_1474383203_n.jpg 1146665_701895373170603_2055824870_n.jpg 999429_701895453170595_890404916_n.jpg 1148864_701895413170599_480043318_n.jpg

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Wonderful! Great images too..! Enjoy :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congratulations - its predecessor, the Kalista - C2A DAC system forced me to re-think digital ... Did you get the C8?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Is this now at home? ;) If so, many, many congratulations and many happy hours listening to a stunning digital system. Surely one of the world's true legends. I have heard the Metronome Kalista Ref/C2A at length many many times...a truly remarkable (and magical) source for MUSIC.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Not mine the Caypso , am still slumming it with the Kalista Ref :D. I much prefer it paired with the Vitus MP-DAC than the C8 . The basics of the the Kalista and the Calypso are identical i.e the Electra PSU , the custom-modified Phillips CDM12 Pro 2 and the isolation plinth are similar . The changes effected are to the up sampler board , which is of no consequence to me since I much prefer to output it @44.1kHz and let the DAC handle the up-sampling duties. The other modification is structural where the Calypso has a single thick horizontal acrylic slab , where as the Kalista has two thinner supports. Truth be told , there is not much to gain in a side by side comparison , they both posses that sense of unlimited effortlessness and a similar acoustic signature . If I were hard pressed , I would think it be 5% at most,the 44.1kHz stream being a dead heat and the Calypso edging ahead with a tad more resolution,when up-sampling at 24bit/96kHz . That itself a feat ,considering the wealth of information output by the Kalista .

IMG_5605.jpg

Last edited:

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Kalista Ultimate @Audiotechnique Hong Kong

1172876_601564279894300_786172334_o.jpg 1008647_601564286560966_581864957_o.jpg 1149667_601564333227628_32312466_o.jpg 1149583_601564233227638_2093026884_o.jpg 1097925_601564236560971_1965118407_o.jpg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
What is this? :confused:

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 985

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
What was Audio Techniques conclusion about the comparison between the Kalista Ref Ultimate and the other Metronome?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing