Metronome Kalista owners

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
Just received the last unit of Metronome Kalista Reference from Metronome Technologie. Kalista has replaced Esoteric P-03 and the initial listening to the unit is just amazes me. Despite thte fact that Esoteric vrds-neo transport mechanism Kalista is far better on isolating all the vibration and all possible interferences. Will post a more detailed review latter on.

My question to the other Kalista owners on the connection to the Dac which output are using out of 4 available outputs. I had Nordost Valhalla AES/EBU in my hand.

Have you tried any other power cords than the stock power cord?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Just received the last unit of Metronome Kalista Reference from Metronome Technologie. Kalista has replaced Esoteric P-03 and the initial listening to the unit is just amazes me. Despite thte fact that Esoteric vrds-neo transport mechanism Kalista is far better on isolating all the vibration and all possible interferences. Will post a more detailed review latter on.

My question to the other Kalista owners on the connection to the Dac which output are using out of 4 available outputs. I had Nordost Valhalla AES/EBU in my hand.

Have you tried any other power cords than the stock power cord?

I do not own the Kalista Reference, but I had it twice for some time in my system and can understand your amazement - your are still trying to understand from where it is coming all this extra information and detail! :)

When I had it in my system it came with an Odin AES/EBU. As far as I know the AES/EBU is the preferred output of the Kalista. What DAC are you using? I recently learn that a Devialet user was using a Kalista with it!

Do you have the model with the stainless steel ball suspension?

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats Emre!!! That is truly aswesome...i have heard the Metronome Kalista Ref...it is stunning with that clear 6cm-8cm thick acrylic base which is supsended on steel balls. It was, for me, a 'nothing is even close!" moment when i heard it with the base. (i compared with and without). When you think long and hard about a transport in this day and age with computers, hi-res, servers etc...i will say, if you listen to RBCDs...and if you can go for the Metronome Kalista Ref...there is nothing like it, and i doubt you regret it. In fact, i bet you sit back and enjoy a sound like no other. Enjoy.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Better update your profile!!! (i too have heard that AES is excellent on Kalista Ref...)

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Wonderful, the MT Kalista is on my radar, i have to work even harder to now...
How is it going?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wonderful, the MT Kalista is on my radar, i have to work even harder to now...
How is it going?

Hi UK Paul...Let us know if you get it. If you can, try to get the 2" thick acrylic platform...it comes with the Metronome Kalista Ref...but i wonder if you can't convince someone to sell you one to put with regular Kalista Transport if you are minded to buy that one instead. Just a thought. It made a huge difference with/without the platform. Good luck. You are getting a phenomenal transport in any event. Enjoy!

Pls keep us posted!

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Hi Lloydelee, It's interesting to hear that the base made such a difference, I could certainly arrange to try one when the time comes.. Have you compared the MT to your Zanden?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloydelee, It's interesting to hear that the base made such a difference, I could certainly arrange to try one when the time comes.. Have you compared the MT to your Zanden?

HI UK Paul,

I have not done a side by side comparison. However, i can say that i have spoken with a few people who have. Generally, on a Zanden DAC like mine, people universally preferred Zanden transport to Metronome Kalista. However, one person actually compared Zanden transport to Metronome Kalista Ref (with the base) and kept the Metronome and sold the Zanden Transport. I nearly went for the Metronome Kalista Ref myself when a demo unit came up.

If you are interested, i have been offered one by someone i do not know well, but who has got one. let me know if interested...pm me. i cannot vouch for seller, but i suspect if you work with Absolute Sounds to 'protect you'...you might be just fine.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Hi Lloydelee, many thanks for the above, pm on its way..

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
Hi UK Paul,
it is going wonderful, what can I say can a transport make a such difference and on top of it previous to Kalista Reference I had Esoteric P-03. I strongly recommend to get one and as Lloyd recommends get with the acrylic base. I will also order and SRA as well.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi UK Paul,
it is going wonderful, what can I say can a transport make a such difference and on top of it previous to Kalista Reference I had Esoteric P-03. I strongly recommend to get one and as Lloyd recommends get with the acrylic base. I will also order and SRA as well.

Wow! And an SRA!!! Go for it!!! CAnnot wait til i can upgrade my transport!! Til then, I'll enjoy reading your posts!

Last edited:

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I can recommend the Crystal Cable cables, from standard diamond upwards.
I recently switched from Transparent reference (still own) to Crystal Cable diamond and tbh I feel they work much better, this seems strange but especially for the digital AES cable between transport and DAC.
While I do not own the top model (lucky you :) ), I have the T3A transport with the C5A DAC.

So my vote is for Crystal Cable.
BTW also own Nordost Heimdall cables but still prefer Crystal Cable.
Let us know how you get on as appreciate you will want to try a few.

Cheers
Orb

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Ah just remembered and not sure if this quirk is just with the T3A or that and Kallista transport.
There IS a difference IMO between the digital out from the transport when listening via the AES or SPDIF interface.
I thought it was strange, but in the recent Hi Fi news review John Bamford noticed exactly the same thing lol, he put it down to cables but I know it is not that as I am using identical makes for the Crystal Cable.

The difference possibly comes down to the SPDIF using coupling transformer drive.
Both interfaces were good but subtly different from my transport because of this.
Not sure if this is relevant to the Kallista transport though.

Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Ah just remembered and not sure if this quirk is just with the T3A or that and Kallista transport.
There IS a difference IMO between the digital out from the transport when listening via the AES or SPDIF interface.
I thought it was strange, but in the recent Hi Fi news review John Bamford noticed exactly the same thing lol, he put it down to cables but I know it is not that as I am using identical makes for the Crystal Cable.

The difference possibly comes down to the SPDIF using coupling transformer drive.
Both interfaces were good but subtly different from my transport because of this.
Not sure if this is relevant to the Kallista transport though.

Cheers
Orb

Hi Orb... could you expand on the SPDIF using a transformer coupled drive bit .. is that in reference to the Kalista ? Have you coupled the Kalista to an up-sampling DAC , if so which output do you prefer from the transport, 44.1 kHz or then 96 kHz . I find the native 44.1 kHz native stream to sound better , with the up-sampling done by the DAC . Look forward to your thoughts .. Thanks

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Hi Jazzhead and sorry for the delay responding.
Been busy with work.

The transformer coupled drive relates more to the T3a transport, so not sure if it also applies to the Kallista but if it does then it will be noticable in any reviews that does the measurements.
It comes down to there being two ways for the SPDIF transmission to be handled and each with their pros/cons, most do not use the implementation that is in the Metronome T3a.
It is handily described in the T3a review by John Bamford, open the link (is the UK Distributor) and scroll down for the review PDF by HiFi News.
http://www.absolutesounds.com/product_result.php?productid=545
The tech stuff is described under section "Digging Deep", and "Lab Results".

What John noticed in terms of difference is pretty much similar to myself between the SPDIF and AES; this is interesting as I am using different manufacturer cables (Crystal Cable) and I also benefitted from using same cable model for both SPDIF and AES.
This is why I raised the point out of curiosity and wondered if it also applies to the Kallista (I own the T3a to go with C5).

Cheers
Orb

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hey Orb,

how is that Kalista working for you? ;) Must be sensational!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi UK Paul,

Hey Emre...was just scanning thru this thread...I did finally get my Zanden Transport...and like you and your Metronome Kalista Ref and SRA...I did end up putting mine on top of an HRS M3 isolation platform (plus HRS nimbus/couplers under and a Stillpoints LPI on top). Did you notice a big difference putting your Metronome Kalista Ref on top of the SRA?

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Hey Orb,

how is that Kalista working for you? ;) Must be sensational!
Heya bud.
Very happy with the T3A and C5 DAC from Metronome :)
I am using the AES connection from the T3A as it seems to have more detail/incisiveness.

Cheers
Orb

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
I am sure that the Metronome and the Zanden are fantastic pieces of kit. I know the Esoteric is, having seen one and heard one.

We all get enthused by changes (and the 'improvements" which go with them) - and I am as guilty as others - but I suggest the expressions need to be tempered. If the addition of a base makes a "huge" improvement, then the removal of the base, by definition, leads to a "huge" worsening. Which is somewhat of a criticism of the remaining kit. It won't "work" without the base!

And this also possibly suggests that the space for further improvement in future remains "huge", and that changes we make now, regarded as significant and probably costly, will fade in significance (and in resale value should that be pertinent) in two or three years' time as a new ancillary designs emerge.

I don't deny that changes which are inaudible or trivial for some will be material, even significant, for others. But I think that expressions need to be used with care - were I to have rated equipment changes, on a scale of 1 to 10, be they absolute improvements over what we had at the time or narrowings of the gap between what we had at the time and perceived perfection, I would suggest that there have probably been less than ten or twenty scores at the 'huge" or "10" level over the past 60 years - which I am not going to attempt to suggest save for one, the original Quad ESL. "Huge" improvement at the time and still regarded as "hugely" significant now.

All IMHO!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing