Mark Levinson No 53 - Any recent experiences??

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Is it? I ask you to compare two versions of vanilla ice cream. Are you better off comparing them side by side, or having one, then keep eating the other for three months? I don't know about you, but I forget what I typed two seconds ago let alone remember how something very similar to the current specimen sounded like eons ago :).

You may be right. Question is, how do we know that relative to it being an excuse to dismiss results that contradict it? When is it an excuse to accept new data vs a factor by itself? And how do we prove the answer is right? I know how to do it in the case of it being an excuse. Don't know how to do the other.

Amir,

I would not expect you to go in this misleading analogy, even with a smile ...

Do you remember the typical sound of CD players of the late 80's? For the first few weeks or months most of us loved it. Only when we found we were not listening anymore, that wife was not joining for hearing the new recordings and even the cat ran away after a few minutes :) we realized that it was not the perfect sound forever ... I still have some reviews of early players - how mistaken people were at that time!

BTW, I hope some day I will be able to listen to a ML53 and have an opinion on it. But at that time it should be with a ML52 and an adequate source, cables and speakers - I am a system believer.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir,

I would not expect you to go in this misleading analogy, even with a smile ...

Do you remember the typical sound of CD players of the late 80's? For the first few weeks or months most of us loved it. Only when we found we were not listening anymore, that wife was not joining for hearing the new recordings and even the cat ran away after a few minutes :) we realized that it was not the perfect sound forever ... I still have some reviews of early players - how mistaken people were at that time!
You are describing a different scenario. If in that, there was the perfect CD player of today, would you still need months of listening to that old CD player to know it sounded different? Or would that difference be more obvious in very fast AB switches between the two? In this case, I assume MF had an amp that he liked so that comparison would not benefit from long and longer listening times if you buy the argument I just mentioned :).

BTW, I hope some day I will be able to listen to a ML53 and have an opinion on it. But at that time it should be with a ML52 and an adequate source, cables and speakers - I am a system believer.
Thanks for being open minded :). I have made an offer in the past which I will renew: if there is someone in Seattle area who likes to compare the ML 53 to their amp, we can bring ours there, do the listening tests, and let the chips fall wherever they may.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
fatigue
Noun
Extreme tiredness, typically resulting from mental or physical exertion or illness.
Verb
Cause (someone) to feel tired or exhausted: "they were fatigued by their journey".
Synonyms
noun. weariness - lassitude - tiredness - exhaustion
verb. tire - weary - exhaust - wear out - try - wear

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
MF
find a retailer who can demonstrate for you a pair of No.53s, and give them a long, serious listen. You might like the sound

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
fatigue
Noun
Extreme tiredness, typically resulting from mental or physical exertion or illness.
Verb
Cause (someone) to feel tired or exhausted: "they were fatigued by their journey".
Synonyms
noun. weariness - lassitude - tiredness - exhaustion
verb. tire - weary - exhaust - wear out - try - wear
Ah. Now I get it. So instead of listening to the amp, MF tried to carry it up and down the stairs and that is why he was "exhausted, worn out, etc?" :D

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
:b images.jpg

Members online

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing