Mark Levinson No 53 - Any recent experiences??

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
I've looked back through prior posts and found some information on the Levinson No 53 amplifiers, but nothing of note in the past year. Reviews are scant and other forums are full of opinions which aren't backed by any kind of first hand experience.

Does anyone here have some recent experience with these amps? I've read Amirm's review and am hoping that another member has some impressions that he / she is willing to share.

My ongoing amp replacement quest continues and I've been offered a screaming deal on a demo pair of 53s. Trying to decide if it's worth exploring further or if I should stick with the MB-450s.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My impression was that they had a great sense of ease. Pretty unflappable driving EW The Nines. They also didn't display the fuzzy highs I've come to expect from almost every switching amplifier I've heard. I wish I could give you more but I never listened to them in my own system.

What I can say is if you liked your 450s, I will wager my left nut you'll like the S-400 even more.

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
What I can say is if you liked your 450s, I will wager my left nut you'll like the S-400 even more.

I haven't had the pleasure of auditioning the S-400, but I did get a chance to hear the Siegfrieds driving the same speakers as mine (Rockport Aquila). Truly amazing! Made me wish I had an unlimited budget.

Ultimately, this new wrinkle is being driven more by the price at which I can get a set of 53s. At this point the 53s would be somewhat less than a new S400 SII and even though it's a great price it's at the outer limit of what I'm willing to spend. The S400, unfortunately, would break the bank.

I've been running the VTLs in series II (then III) form since early 2008 and I'm wondering if it's time for a change. I love the sound of the VTLs, but do find that they get a bit congested as the complexity of the music goes up. Orchestral crescendos can get a bit muddy. Studio mixes and small ensembles sound great, but my first love is classical.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've no idea if you'll like the 53 in totality but I'm pretty sure crescendos will not be a problem with them. Would be great if you could get a home trial. If the seller isn't local the cost of freight might be worth the gamble.

By the way, we share the same impressions of the 450 (S2). I too felt the 450s despite having 25wpc more and being monoblocks got congested where the S-400s didn't. The speakers driven when I heard them side by side were Mezzo Utopias.

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
I've no idea if you'll like the 53 in totality but I'm pretty sure crescendos will not be a problem with them. Would be great if you could get a home trial. If the seller isn't local the cost of freight might be worth the gamble.

Fortunately, I can borrow them for an audition and all I need to do is pick them up. Four hours and 135lbs each... ouch....

By the way, we share the same impressions of the 450 (S2). I too felt the 450s despite having 25wpc more and being monoblocks got congested where the S-400s didn't. The speakers driven when I heard them side by side were Mezzo Utopias.

I really do love the the top-end VTLs and as you've pointed out the S-400 may, ultimately, be the best solution for me. This is one I wish was available for an audition.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Amp-I'm confused. I thought you sold your VTLs and then turned right around and bought another pair. If so, you are now considering getting rid of the pair you just bought and trying another pair of amps??

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Fortunately, I can borrow them for an audition and all I need to do is pick them up. Four hours and 135lbs each... ouch....

I really do love the the top-end VTLs and as you've pointed out the S-400 may, ultimately, be the best solution for me. This is one I wish was available for an audition.

As a fellow Beemer lover, I wish I was your neighbor so I could help you carry 'em. I'd do it for a free detailing. :D

mep

Apr 20, 2010
You need two people to move those amps and preferably with a dolly. Luckily I never hurt myself getting my KSA-250 down into my room 3 times and back up twice. A good neighbor and a dolly worked every time. I can't believe the ARC VS115 ruptured my bicep tendon.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You need two people to move those amps and preferably with a dolly. Luckily I never hurt myself getting my KSA-250 down into my room 3 times and back up twice. A good neighbor and a dolly worked every time. I can't believe the ARC VS115 ruptured my bicep tendon.

Admit it bro, it was that other thing you were doing. :p

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Pays to be ambidextrous I guess.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
That's what I have been telling people that have said that to me. I should have been a switch hitter.

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
Amp-I'm confused. I thought you sold your VTLs and then turned right around and bought another pair. If so, you are now considering getting rid of the pair you just bought and trying another pair of amps??

Sold my 450s, freaked out a bit, and then borrowed my dealer's demo pair of 450s in order to make a decision as to whether or not I want to keep the system or sell it as originally planned. I think I've answered that question in that I'm fairly certain I'm going to keep it.

Now the question becomes do I take my do-over and rebuild the system as it was or take this as an opportunity to do a little upgrade.

This sickness is AWSOME!

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
As a fellow Beemer lover, I wish I was your neighbor so I could help you carry 'em. I'd do it for a free detailing. :D

I wouldn't mind an audiophile / BMW-loving neighbor. All of my current neighbors keep giving me puzzled looks.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Sold my 450s, freaked out a bit, and then borrowed my dealer's demo pair of 450s in order to make a decision as to whether or not I want to keep the system or sell it as originally planned. I think I've answered that question in that I'm fairly certain I'm going to keep it.

Now the question becomes do I take my do-over and rebuild the system as it was or take this as an opportunity to do a little upgrade.

This sickness is AWSOME!

Didn't you sell your Vandy 5s? If so, what are you listening to now? You might want to take a visit to MadFloyd's house and pick up his leftovers.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Why? I get as much pleasure from the sound of a high revving in-line 6 S motor as I do from a good system! :D

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

This sickness is AWSOME!

Sold the Vandy 5s back in early 2011 and picked up the Rockport Aquilas.

Congrats on both counts...welcome back tho i think its safe to say you never left. You skirted around the border and stepped squarely back in...with both feet! ;) As long as you're having fun! Sounds like you are...that's the important part.

...now whats the story with amps? Sticking with 450s...or are you "upgrading" as in shopping for something new???

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Amp,

I think that bringing just a ML53 for a short time is a waste of time. Assuming you have optimized your system for the excellent 450s you can not expect that just dropping it in your room will result in a much better system. Unless you get it for some long time and consider exchanging some equipment, including cables and sources, carrying long experiences, I doubt that you will discover how good the ML53 can be - and most of it, if you really like it.

A good friend of mine has a VTL7.5. He does not want to own power tubes and tried a lot of SS amplifiers. Most of them sounded lifeless with the 7.5. At the end he found a good match in his system with the Pass X600.5. What are the speakers you have now or are considering?

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
Congrats on both counts...welcome back tho i think its safe to say you never left. You skirted around the border and stepped squarely back in...with both feet! ;) As long as you're having fun! Sounds like you are...that's the important part.

It's been a nice diversion, but my wife is making the "stereo widow" comments again.

...now whats the story with amps? Sticking with 450s...or are you "upgrading" as in shopping for something new???

That's what I'm trying to decide. Parting with the original set created an opening to make some changes.

Amp,

I think that bringing just a ML53 for a short time is a waste of time. Assuming you have optimized your system for the excellent 450s you can not expect that just dropping it in your room will result in a much better system. Unless you get it for some long time and consider exchanging some equipment, including cables and sources, carrying long experiences, I doubt that you will discover how good the ML53 can be - and most of it, if you really like it.

I'm in complete agreement here. I'll be able to borrow them for at least a week (or likely more if needed). I'm not looking to change up the entire system (aside from having Transparent recalibrate my cables) so this really is an exercise to see if I like the overall character of the amps in the context of my system and whether or not the cost difference is "worth it."

A good friend of mine has a VTL7.5. He does not want to own power tubes and tried a lot of SS amplifiers. Most of them sounded lifeless with the 7.5. At the end he found a good match in his system with the Pass X600.5. What are the speakers you have now or are considering?

I've never run the 7.5 with anything but the 450s although I did have a 6.5 running with a set of Rowland Model 12s some time ago. My feeling on the 7.5 is that it is a ruthlessly neutral piece and doesn't impart much of a signature of its own.

As far as I'm concerned if the 53s work in my system then that's great, and if not then I have my answer.

Current speakers are Rockport Aquila and I have no desire to change that.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing