Blu-spec2 CD's - Hype or good stuff?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. Here's a new one on me. Apparently there is a relatively new type of CD called Blu-spec2 CD's. Same format, different laser used for printing and you can play it on any standard CDP. They also use the standard 16-bit, 44KHz audio encoding from another article I just read about them. Apparently they have been out since around '08 or so from the limited research I was able to pull up online. I just ran across the link below about 30 minutes ago and this is the first time I have ever heard of Blu-spec2 CD's...

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/rcms/music/bluspec2.html?current=0&step=30

From the link above...
Blu-spec CD2 employs the Phase Transition Mastering, the technology developed for mastering of Blu-ray discs, to further perfect the acclaimed characteristics of Blu-spec CD. Fully compatible with standard CD players, Blu-spec CD2 completely alters the experience of music.

blu-spec-cd2.jpg

Anybody ever heard one yet and if so, is it all hype or are they actually worth checking out?

Tom

From what I hear the blue-violet laser is "supposed" to be more accurate. There is no evidence that this has resulted in better playback. Most seem to feel it's purely marketing.

Just hype... The burning is more accurate, but every transport has error correction. You can get the same results by using a Blu-ray burner. I've done it and there is no sonic difference.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing