Imaging and Staging: A Bit Surreal Is Better

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
Consider this a bit of a counterpoint to my arguments elsewhere in this forum that home audio reproduction should try to mimic the sound of live unamplified music heard from a good seat in a good concert hall. Never let it be said that I am doctrinaire in my approach to home audio reproduction.

I have long believed that audio system imaging and staging should be at least a little better than the real thing listened to with eyes closed. Making the imaging and staging of the reproduction a bit surreal allows our eyes to "see" performers a bit like they can at the live event. If you can't have (or don't want) the accompanying video of the performance in your home reproduction, enhancing the audio in this way fills in the gap.

I believe that the imaging and staging capabilities of our home music reproduction systems should be a bit surreal in order to give our eyes something to do while listening and thus make up for the lack of actual visual stimulation we experience at a concert. Those who listen with their eyes closed at concerts don't appear to understand this. I'm not sure what the percentages are, but when I look around during concerts, other than those who are obviously just nodding off, I see very few people listening with eyes closed. It thus seems to me that most of us, like me, are used to visual stimuli during live music listening.

I understand where others are coming from on this in advocating listening with eyes closed. They are trying to pare down the sensory stimuli to just a comparison of live sound to home sound reproduction.

But perhaps there is room to argue that by "the absolute sound" of a live event, we really mean "the absolute experience" of that sound. If so, then the goal of the home music system should be to come as close to the overall gestalt or sensory experience of the live event as possible in our usual mode of listening in both places--with eyes open.

If, as some have observed, our brain uses the majority of its processing power interpreting vision, it may well be that our perception of sound will always be at least somewhat different with eyes shut than with eyes open (at least for those of us who are not visually blind). In fact, it may well be that our brains try very hard to relate what we hear to what we see and that if the visual stimuli are cut off, our hearing is somewhat unnaturally adrift.

I think this may well be why much of the audiophile world puts such value on imaging and staging even though many live audience locations produce the "fat mono" type of staging. You have to listen from the first few rows to get anything like the kind of imaging and staging a good two-channel rig is capable of. But imaging and staging are two properties of a sound reproduction system which help replace the lack of visual stimuli we have live.

Another aspect of home reproduction which does this is the ability to reproduce microdynamics or low-level detail. The small sounds of musicians and conductors breathing or vocalizing, the sound of fingerpads on keys, risers creaking, pages turning, music stands being bumped, air handling, subway, and traffic noises, all help give us a "visual" sense of the venue which makes up for our inability to actually see what is going on. And note that this sort of inner detail is also highly valued by audiophiles, even though little of this is every heard live except from the first few rows, and none of it is musically important to musicians. One easy way to get more inner detail is to elevate the upper midrange and lower highs a bit; another is to make the actual distortion of the reproducers very low.

This craving for detail may be responsible for the tendency of many listeners to forgive the fact that most commercial recordings are miked too closely and thus have exaggerated high frequencies. The close-in and up-high miking typical of commercial classical music recordings picks up more high frequencies and thus more detail.

What I am getting at is that we should not be too quick to dismiss the importance of staging, imaging, and detail reproduction in home music reproduction for the seeming vast majority of us who listen to live music with our eyes open. Maybe such things literally are exaggerated in some audiophile systems compared to what is literally heard live with eyes closed. However, if the goal is to make the experience of reproduced music in the home as close as possible to the live experience, then perhaps we need these things.

One of the things which bug me about 5.1 surround sound in home theater set ups is that the sound almost always seems to overwhelm the picture. Only the very best visual recreations, such as those in a good movie theater, seem to support that kind of enveloping sound. But turn off even the seemingly inadequate video screen, and the sound which seemed too good for the picture now seems confused and much lower in quality. The 5.1 surround sound which seemed so good with the picture to order it, often seems much more confused than a good two-channel stereo stage. The picture, even though seemingly overwhelmed by the sound, gives our eyes a related program to focus on and "orders" the sound in some way.

With live music, the visual stimulation is state-of-the-art: 3-D and extremely widescreen. Fully staged operas are perhaps the most extreme example.

Even from a remote seat, the visual stimulation of the overall scene of the concert hall powerfully orders the sound. We are not consciously aware of the auditory imaging or staging from close up, or the lack of imaging and staging from distant seats unless we close our eyes or really concentrate on just the sound. We see what is going on with our eyes, and the powerful visual stimulus taking up much of our brain's processing power forces our ear/brain to conform the sound to what we see. We know when a singer turns left or right or walks forward or backward on stage because we can see it--we don't have to really hear it.

But at home with our two-channel music reproduction systems, to get close to the same experience, we must "see" these events with our ears. Low distortion and flat frequency response don't help with this. Low-level detail, imaging, and staging do. And that may well be why many audiophiles seeking some sort of "absolute sound" experience long ago gave up flat frequency response as the holy grail or even the prime desiderata of the home music system.

There is also another side to this discussion. I totally agree that you do not hear pinpoint imaging live from most, if any, audience positions.

But you hear more enveloping space than with home two-channel reproduction and there are many close-in seats where depth of field is phenomenal, and height is not an illusion since there is quite audible upward projection due to sound bouncing off the stage floor and then off the proscenium. There is also the type of "action" in terms of apparent movement and projection of solo instrument sounds right to the top or back of the hall that you rarely get at home--soprano soloists hitting high notes and turning as they do so is a good example.

The pinpoint imaging a good two-channel home system is capable of is a consolation prize for giving up these spatial aspects of what we can hear at live concerts, in addition to making up for the actual visual cues of the musicians playing. At real concerts, the visual allows you to pinpoint just which musicians are playing. I know some want literal, aural accuracy. I'm more inclined to want a level of involvement from the audio at home that the whole concert hall experience can give you live. To do that in an audio-only reproduction, the sound has to be surreal in certain respects, like imaging.

Also, the "ideal" concert hall seat varies with individual preference. Many times you will hear it said that the "ideal" seats are in the 10th to 13th row of a concert hall. This is typically about 50 to 60 feet back from the front of the stage. In a good hall, that's typically about as near the stage as you can be and still get what many consider to be an ideal blend of the entire orchestra into a coherent source of sound, mixed with an obviously generous amount of hall ambiance. If seat price is not a consideration, those who want to hear more individualized sound sources from soloists and sections--a bit more dissection of the whole--sit closer. That's me. On the other hand, those who value the radiant ambient glow above all and don't mind a "fat mono" sounding orchestral image, sit further away.

My preference for near-field 90-degree separation home listening paradigm tends to allow my home listening experience to better mimic my favorite down-front concert hall seats. From such seats, the perceived subtended angle of the musicians is large and the musicians seem very close to me. Front-to-back orchestral depth is enormous from such audience seats, just as it is at home with my set up.

For someone with my concert hall seating preferences the bit-surreal imaging I want from my audio system is less surreal than it is for folks who prefer to sit further back in the hall at concerts. If the front of the stage is farther from your nose, perception of depth will be diminished because the ratio of closest to deepest object in the stage decreases as the listening distance from the speaker plane or orchestra increases.

Thus, this is not such a counterpoint at all--for me--since what I seek at home is very close to what I experience in my favorite seats in the first few rows of the concert hall.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
If I'm not mistaken (a big assumption on my part), I read your latest post as a continuation of your EQ thread in which you stated, in pertinent part:

Then there are those who want "flat response" from their systems and are willing to live with the unvarnished, naked truth about any program material, even if they have to grit their teeth to bear it. They seek "the truth" about the recording and are willing to listen through any unpleasantness to hear that truth. They also seek maximum differentiation in the sound of various recordings, believing that the more the sound of recordings vary, the more truthful their system must be in reproducing exactly what is on the recording.

Another type of EQ user is the one who wants the sound of music, tonally speaking, to mimic to the greatest possible extent, what one would hear at a live unamplified concert in a good hall. I tend to fall more into this category than any of the others, I think. One way to be able to move your system sound toward such a goal is to attend a lot of such concerts so that you have a decent aural memory of what various instruments really sound like. That's me.

I'm curious how you reconcile your stated preference with the fact that in many (most?) studio recordings there was neither a stage nor a concert hall. This is to state nothing of the fact that your preference seems to consider only nonamplified instruments. Your preference is, of course, your preference and if it works for you, beautiful - that's all that really counts.

I guess my questions include: aren't you really second guessing what was the intent of the original recording artists and those who did the mixing/mastering? And what might work for one album might not for another. And finally you cast the option in terms of what "one would hear at a live unamplified concert in a good concert hall" as if that is a fixed, known standard when in fact there still are vast differences in *good* concert halls.

Maybe I'm answering my own questions ... the first option you described in the above quote seemingly is mutually exclusive to the option you have chosen.

I guess I'm struggling a bit here because, frankly, no matter how good the reproduction room and system - and I've heard my share of the best - I never am under the illusion I'm at a live concert. I say this with at least a modicum of experience. I've probably been to at least 4, if not 5, hundred concerts. I've been to about 20 since the beginning of this year alone. (I'm scheduled to see only 2 in July, so far. Darn it!) (As an aside, I've played more times than I can remember as well, both amplified and not, in various genres, including jazz, rock, blues, and classical.)

I think another issue that you touch upon but I think really needs more analysis is ambience extraction from a 2 channel presentation. No matter what you do with your system, your system still will reside in your room. Putting aside for the moment the paucity of excellent multi-channel recordings (although I know Kal might disagree with me here), I'm not convinced 2 channels can do a better job with ambience than either 5 or, preferably, more channels. We may or may not yet be there in terms of the hardware, but the research by Toole and others that led to Logic 7, which would extract the perceptual ambient cues in 2 channel recordings to replay them in the surround channels was in my opinion at least a step in the right direction.

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
Good points, Ron, and I will try to address them.

You are correct that the part of my EQ post you quoted was the take-off point for this new thread. This current thread is my "counterpoint" to the idea that a home music system should literally and maximally mimic the sound of live music in the concert hall.

I know that 95% or more of all commercial recordings these days are not made in a concert hall or even on a studio stage. This 95%+ of recordings is of no real value in judging how your home sound system performs by any criterion other than how much you personally like what you hear with any given recording. The array of tools available to modern sound engineers enable them to make any instrument sound any way they like and to create new sounds which no one may ever have heard from any musical instrument before. Unless you were the one who made such a recording, or consulted a lot with the sound engineer, you have no reference point for judging how such a recording should sound at home.

Yes, concert halls vary in sound and a given hall varies more than a bit from one spot in the hall to another. But I daresay that most musicians and those who love and frequent live unamplified classical music concerts will not disagree too much on whether a hall has good sound or on the relative sound of one spot in a given hall to another spot. If you look on line, you will find that the same few halls usually show up in everyone's "best of" the world's concert halls lists. Most who care about such music want a "Romantic" sounding hall with strong bass and warmth regions, flat midrange, and highs which roll off more than a bit with distance. The actual frequency response of such halls will look familiar to those who construct target curves for their home equalization devices: the response graph of good halls slopes downward a bit or more from deep bass to high treble. See the first two graphs in "Records and Reality: How Music Sounds in Concert Halls." Read the article, too, since it is one of the very best educational pieces anywhere on this topic. (I will admit that in recent years, halls like LA's Walt Disney which have a "flatter" response have started showing up in many lists of fine concert halls. I chalk this up to art more and more mimicking technology. The Philistines are beginning to want live sound to conform to the way most recordings sound on most playback equipment, brighter and thinner. Ugh.)

Relatively few recordings of Classical music are made in halls which do not conform to this "Romantic" aesthetic. When recordings are made in other halls, sound engineers hopefully compensate somewhat. But, as mentioned in my prior writings and for the reasons explained in the linked article, most recordings will still tend to be a bit or more brighter and thinner than concert-hall reality. Thus the need for downsloping target curves for home replay of such recordings for those who love the "Romantic" concert-hall-like tonal balance.

Using performances and recordings of live unamplified music made in a good concert hall thus gives the music lover something of a reference point. Not a perfect reference, but a lot better one than the 95%+ of recordings which are literally "manufactured" in the studio.

I strongly dislike concerts where acoustical musical instruments or singing voices are amplified. I almost never attend such anymore. There are two reasons for this: first, the sound at such concerts is usually SO BAD compared to the unamplified reality. Second, the sound at such concerts is usually WAY TOO LOUD.

This is actually the major reason I stopped doing sound engineer work for the church where I had done this for years. The church began to abandon traditional sacred and classical music forms which were amplified through the PA system only enough to make them easily audible to everyone. As with most churches today, the music moved toward praise band and rock-instrument-oriented musical performances. As a result, more and more performances had to be strongly amplified. I tried and did a decent job of it, but my heart was no longer in that work.

These days I'm on the other side of the microphones, performing in a traditional church choir at another large church in the area. The microphones are only there for recording. Our 70+ member choir is never amplified. Neither are the piano, organ, string or brass instrumental ensembles, orchestras, bell choirs, etc. The PA system is used only to amplify the spoken voice and occasionally for solo classical guitar (despite what you hear on recordings, such guitars are REALLY soft instruments) or the occasional less-skilled solo vocalist who needs a bit of help to be clearly audible throughout the sanctuary. The acoustics at this church are truly stupendous for most all types of music, both for the performers and the audience. Thus, these days, at least twice each week (our choir sings in two services each Sunday morning), I get to drive the acoustics of that room with my voice. And from the audience I get to hear many other unamplified instruments and voices. This is in addition to other concerts and operas I regularly attend at this church, various concert halls, and even living rooms in our area.

Classical music--and by this I include all types, with large and small ensembles, vocal and orchestral, piano, organ, opera, sacred, whatever--is my favorite. I do not like much rock music anymore enough to go to concerts of such. Even if I liked it more, I would wear hearing protection and thus wouldn't have any idea what the sound was "really" like. I do go to occasional jazz concerts, but try to attend only those where no PA system is being used and those are getting rarer these days.

You are correct that I would rather have my home audio system list to the "beautiful music" side than toward the "naked truth" side. This was not always so, but as I've aged I've grown less patient with the typical overly bright recordings and want to sweeten the pot a bit.

In recent years I've picked my speakers and other equipment to move in this direction. I think that the Harbeth Monitor 40.1 speakers I currently favor successfully walk the "musicality" edge of the line between too much "accuracy" and too much "musicality." The prior Monitor 40 I also owned walked the "accuracy" edge of this line. The 40.1 can make a large percentage of commercial classical recordings sound tonally more like unamplified musicians sound in a good concert hall, without being so heavy handed in their beautification that they introduce obvious colorations. Quite remarkable, actually, this bit of legerdemain. They are also very capable of revealing recorded space and are VERY, VERY clear without a hint of overbrightness. Finally, while they clearly reveal differences in the sound of associated equipment, they do not slap your face with those differences; they are monitor speakers, but not nasty monitor speakers.

As to home audio reproduction not being good enough for you to ever suspend your disbelief that what you are hearing is live music, I understand as to reproduction of space. I'm not there yet and from what I've heard I don't think any two-channel system can sustain the consistent "big room" ambiance that any decent concert hall has in spades. I think you need surround sound to get a bit closer to this goal and I have a notion to move my reference Harbeth system in that direction.

Implementations of ambiance extraction systems for two-channel recordings like Dolby ProLogic IIx and Logic 7 are getting better. I've thought they were pretty good all along, as long as proper care is taken with speaker arrangement and level setting. Peter Moncrieff's review now says, however, that the implementation of Dolby ProLogic IIx in the Arcam AVR600 is a vast improvement from prior versions. The big problem with many discrete surround recordings, as I hear it, is that ambiance extraction often is not the primary goal of such recordings. It's like the early ping-pong stereo days. There is too much going on in the surround channels, too much effort to make sure you can hear that you are surrounded by speakers and sound, even if there is no obvious effort on the part of the engineers to place the listener at the center of a circle of instruments.

Tonally speaking, however, and in terms of clarity, perhaps you just need different speakers or better room treatment to attain a level of realism which allows you to suspend your disbelief that what you are hearing is not "live music." My Harbeths can, with many recordings and even live FM radio broadcasts, sound tonally and in terms of clarity quite like the real thing. And, while not as clear and low in distortion as real life, the two systems I've build around 40-year-old Acoustic Research speakers can produce very lifelike tonality in terms of a mid-concert hall perspective, and this in rooms which are ordinary living spaces with no special room treatments and with the speakers flat against the wall behind them.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
What about this survey of the top 58 halls published by Beranek in 2003?

http://www.leoberanek.com/pages/eightyeighthalls.pdf

And the engineers swore that the "new" Carnegie Hall measured the same as the old hall but it sure didn't sound the same :) The magic was gone. It now sounds like a digital recording :) Cold, recessed and no ability to project the sound. Also the beautiful lows of the hall are MIA.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
What about this survey of the top 58 halls published by Beranek in 2003?

http://www.leoberanek.com/pages/eightyeighthalls.pdf

And the engineers swore that the "new" Carnegie Hall measured the same as the old hall but it sure didn't sound the same :) The magic was gone. It now sounds like a digital recording :) Cold, recessed and no ability to project the sound. Also the beautiful lows of the hall are MIA.

I'm not sure what you are getting at by citing to the Beranek survey, Miles. Bass strength seemed important in that survey, especially in the 125 Hz "power range" for low brass. Also, the top halls in subjective ratings appear in most other "Best of" lists; the Vienna Musikverein and Boston Symphony Hall seem to be toward the very top of everyone's lists.

I think most all who have commented on the change wraught to Carnegie agree with you. Most also agree that Chicago's Symphony Hall was not helped by its remodeling. These are indications of the "Philistine" trend I noted in my parenthetical. Many newer or newly remodeled halls are moving in the direction of the sound of most digital recordings played on typical audio equipment--brighter and thinner.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'm not sure what you are getting at by citing to the Beranek survey, Miles. Bass strength seemed important in that survey, especially in the 125 Hz "power range" for low brass. Also, the top halls in subjective ratings appear in most other "Best of" lists; the Vienna Musikverein and Boston Symphony Hall seem to be toward the very top of everyone's lists.

I think most all who have commented on the change wraught to Carnegie agree with you. Most also agree that Chicago's Symphony Hall was not helped by its remodeling. These are indications of the "Philistine" trend I noted in my parenthetical. Many newer or newly remodeled halls are moving in the direction of the sound of most digital recordings played on typical audio equipment--brighter and thinner.

Just thought Beraneks survey was interesting too.

We're in agreement on the new halls. They need to declare BSH a National Landmark and not allow one single change to the hall. It is one of the few left in the US, along maybe with the Troy Savings Bank Hall, with good sound.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I am behind my reading on this topic which is in several threads on the forum right now. However it is a topic of great interest to me.

I submit something I just read, and now I have to scour my collection for some Mercury monos.

Mono: The Purest Of the Pure? .........................TAS issue 99 November 1994
http://www.regonaudio.com/Mono.html
The sense of listening directly to real sound, albeit through an opening of restricted size, is startling. By comparison, stereo tends to sound slightly ghostlike, spread out appropriately in space, it is true, but insubstantial, almost dematerialized.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Myles,
I must respectfully disagree on the sound of Carnegie. But fundamental to my disagreement is a related issue of the Beranek survey. We must note that the Beranek survey by conductors was one in which they gathered their impressions from one key spot; namely the podium! I very much doubt they wandered in to a full hall during their own performances. That said, I was at Carnegie 2 months ago for a wonderful Minneapolis symphony concert. Before intermission, I was dead center in Row K and was not particularly moved. In fact, one could say it sounded as you described. But after intermission, I moved to dead center Row R and wow, I was knocked out! It was easily in my top 5 of symphony venues. The point is- there is no one sound to a hall. Rather, there are as many sounds as there are seats! Of course, if my seat were on the podium, I would think I was dead and gone to heaven.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles,
I must respectfully disagree on the sound of Carnegie. But fundamental to my disagreement is a related issue of the Baranek survey. We must note that the Beranek survey by conductors was one in which they gathered their impressions from one key spot; namely the podium! I very much doubt they wandered in to a full hall during their own performances. That said, I was at Carnegie 2 months ago for a wonderful Minneapolis symphony concert. Before intermission, I was dead center in Row K and was not particularly moved. In fact, one could say it sounded as you described. But after intermission, I moved to dead center Row R and wow, I was knocked out! It was easily in my top 5 of symphony venues. The point is- there is no one sound to a hall. Rather, there are as many sounds as there are seats! Of course, if my seat were on the podium, I would think I was dead and gone to heaven.

You're partially right there Marty. Actually all the seats in Carnegie were good pre-renovation. Now it's maybe but a few. But I still stand by the fact that the hall does not project sound from the stage into the audience like it once did (you did know about the concrete slab mistakenly left under the stage?). Go to Symphony Hall in Boston, find a good large scale piece from Mahler and let the sound just wash over your body :) That's what Carnegie was and no longer is. On top of that, when they removed the curtain from over the stage, it took with it the hall's warmth and bass foundation.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
This is again a great thread, particullary when addressing the musicality factor and how one discriminates this particular variable among some others which are also quite relevant into trying to take us back to the live event.

I have tried very different ways, particulary with some speaker designs (planar, horns, dynamic, etc..) to look to get a nice mix on factors that are important to me, like dynamics, impecable tone rendering, weight, extension and so on.

Interestingly enough, depending on my life with different kind of speakers, I leaned towards prefering some particular kind of musical genres ( not good..), examples could be Avalon for Jazz and acoustic, Dunlavy for Classical, Avantgarde for Alternative and vocals and so on....

Where is my point here?... In my experience one can not have it all. I am actualy parked in a nice point with the Guarneris since they render great tonality, top extension, disappearing act, soundstage and decent dynamics. I know that system integration sum up, so as room size and desired volume to listen, at any rate, search for the ultimate musical reproduction is what this hobby is all about, enjoying thru the process.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
seating positions in Severance Hall Cleveland

As a long-time classical music fan, I have attended perhaps 100 concerts at Severance Hall over the years. I can absolutely attest to the fact that the sound is quite different when seated in various locations in the hall. I've sat in almost every "zone" in the hall, beginning with the cheap seats in the early 60's. Seeing George Szell conduct Beethoven 9, I could have been sitting on a bed of nails and enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I was too young to be able to describe any "technical" aspects of the sound now. However, there was a 25 year period where I sat in many of the better seats and can offer some comments about the sound quality.

Around 1980, I saw Itzhak Perlman and Samuel Sanders play duets from the third row, left side as facing the stage. Even from only 20 feet away, I could hear the bloom of Perlman's violin into the hall, but the direct sound was a high proportion of the total. At that distance, you could feel the weight of the lower registers of the keyboard, as opposed to the slightly thinner sound farther back in the hall. There was no appreciable "separation" and fat mono was the correct term, even at this distance. Remember, Perlman is disabled, so there was virtually no movement on the stage to provide auditory location cues.

Moving to the 90's, I saw Christopher Hogwood and the Academy of Ancient Music perform early Baroque pieces of Purcell, Bach, and Telemann. I was seated on the main floor, further back and in the center section. Fat mono again, and the overriding impression was of the reduced amount of bass energy. Of course, early instruments and harpsichord aren't big boomers anyway, but I have always remembered the lean mid-bass.

Another experience in the early 90's was seeing Christoph Von Dohnanyi conduct Beethoven 4. There was a forte climax in the piece and I distinctly (to this day!) remember the incredible energy and the leanness of the midbass even then. I now understand what Harry Pearson means when he says that many modern speakers fatten the midbass more than reality and result in a sluggish presentation.

Mid 90's brought Esa-Pekka Salonen to conduct the Cleveland Orchestra in Messiaen's Turangalila. I was seated mid-hall in the center section. Complete with Ondes Martenot, the forerunner of the modern synthesizer, this piece was easily the loudest thing I ever heard in the hall. Once again, the "dryness" of the bass, even though you could easily feel it pound your body, impressed me greatly. The hall actually overloaded a bit during a few of the big climaxes in the piece and produced a "blare" that I never heard there again.

Absolutely the best seat in the house is front row center in the dress circle, which is the front center section of the balcony. I was unbelievably fortunate enough to procure tickets to see Rudolph Serkin performing Beethoven's Emperor Concerto around 1990. I was seated in the absolute center, able to lean my arms on the railing of the balcony. I will digress from audio minutae for a moment to state that his entrance onto the Severance Hall stage was the most memorable moment in all of my classical music experiences. At around 90, he was frail and moved carefully to the piano at front center stage. The crowd, composed of tailored "suits" and their adorned wives, went nuts. They behaved like we were seeing the Who during their heyday. I expected to see the Bic lighters come out in mass celebration! It was an overwhelming moment, and we were treated to a great performance from a man who knew he was nearing death. He would appear to be dozing at the piano until his turn to play would come and he would erupt into action, playing his heart out. He died a month or so later. I will never forget that night.

It's difficult to separate the emotional experience from the entire event, but a few lasting thoughts do remain.

The sound from the dress circle actually contained more spatial information that what I had heard in many seats around the main floor. I have come to believe that looking down upon the orchestra slightly in this manner mimics the typical position of the microphones during recording sessions. This effect may be what contributes to the greater sense of imaging and staging when listening to recordings of classical music as opposed to the "real thing". The only way I can describe the difference is that the sounds of instruments in the rear of the orchestra do not have to "pass through" the sounds from the instruments in front to reach your ears. So, you seem to receive more discrete information from each instrument. I'd be interested to hear (no pun intended) what the engineers and technical fellows here have to say about this.

Great thread.

Lee

bwraudio

Jan 24, 2011
I totally agree with what you say about getting the feeling of space; low level detail and ambience makes one think there actually in the hall. I have spent close to fifty years trying to get this quality in my system. Peter Moncrieff in my opinion has been the best reviewer of acoustics, electronics, speakers and what it takes to get this feeling of space. I use the Arcam AVR600 receiver with its Dolby ProLogic IIx for my system and it does a remarkably good job of providing this effect of space with 2 channel recordings. Acoustics is number one on my list and great recordings of non-amplified music is the key. Reference Recordings is the best out there, especially there HrX recordings. It took a long time for me to put everything needed to create a very close resemblance of the feeling of space, but it has been so rewarding. Using surround sound properly can be the answer to increased realism. See my system: (bwraudio)

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Using surround sound properly can be the answer to increased realism.

Very much so for live recordings. Studio recordings tend to be very dry and not much ambience for the surround system to extract.

I remember doing a demo on my home system for our church choir director of music the choir had recorded. I played the first part in two channel stereo and he smiled. I played it again with suround engaged and he said: "that is exactly what it sounds like when I am conducting".

Proof enough for me!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing