New "Abyss" headphones

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
My good friend Joe (JPS Labs), has created a new headphone called the "Abyss". We will have a pair at RMAF in room 8000. Hope everyone into 'cans' will make sure to stop by and take a listen.

Abyss Headphones designs and manufactures very high performance headphones. Our current designs feature a huge planar driver, milled aluminum components, fine handmade lambskin pads, and custom JPS Labs cables. Made in the USA

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Cool, will see you at RMAF!

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Just got my new Abyss headphones. They are quite different than the prototypes that he had at RMAF last year. Gone are the cool 'spyderman web' designs on each earpiece. They've been replaced with new more cohesive looking black grills. They have the same 'vice-like' look to them. Guess you either love them or hate them. The packaging is beyond first-class. They come double boxed and inside is a dove-tailed presentation wooden box. They come with a 3rd party headphone stand that has been silkscreened with the "Abyss" logo. Inside the wooden box is a high-grade leather case containing the headphones, ear pieces and cables. The leather case looks cool enough to put on my cruiser!
The lambskin ear pieces are held on by magnets and are adjustable by rotating them clockwise or counter-clockwise. Joe said, the ear pieces are adjustable depending on how you want the musical presentation.
The cables connecting the headphones are high-end that only a cable company can do. The cables are pretty stiff, which some may not like, but are made for the headphones to perform at their peak. There are 2 cable adapters for typical 1/4" and 4-pin connectors.
These headphones are pretty heavy but with the nice headband and soft ear pieces, I haven't had a problem using them for hours. A good quality headphone amp is needed. I used them for a while with just the headphone outputs of my Mytek converters and they did reasonably well. Connected to a premium headphone amp like the Cavalli Liquid Gold brings out the best that the Abyss has to offer. I've only compared these so far to the Audeze LCD3 and my Senn HD800 and it was no match. The Abyss out-performed both in all areas of bass, mid sweetness and top-end air. Tonal character was just right and the headphones were coherent from top to bottom.

There is a quick review of them here: Abyss Headphones

Specs are:
FR" 5Hz - 28k
Impedance: 46 ohms (non-reactive)
Sensitivity: 85dB
Distortion <1% over the entire frequency and <0.2% through the mid-range
Recommended power range: 1-4 watts @ ~46 ohms

With a list price of $5495, it will be a hard pill to swallow. But like the article says, what manufacturer's top of the line product can you buy for $5500? If you want "What's Best", this is it!!

1052670_10201383181398784_2136257770_o.jpg

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I'll be travelling to RMAF again this year and will be in room 8000. We will have Abyss headphones connected to different sources and DACS.

I'll be bringing my Lampizator DSD DAC playing files from Audirvana and going into the Cavalli Liquid Gold Headphone amp, which in my opinion, is the best sounding combination available today!

starstern

Jun 10, 2014
I'll be travelling to RMAF again this year and will be in room 8000. We will have Abyss headphones connected to different sources and DACS.

I'll be bringing my Lampizator DSD DAC playing files from Audirvana and going into the Cavalli Liquid Gold Headphone amp, which in my opinion, is the best sounding combination available today!

any updates since then ?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
any updates since then ?

I'm still using these phones every day in my studio for restoration/archival. I'm about to try some Nordost headphone cables for the headphones.

As for the Cavalli Liquid Gold, I still think it's the best headphone amp for these phones out there, with the Woo Audio mono blocs either as good or a close second!

starstern

Jun 10, 2014
I'm still using these phones every day in my studio for restoration/archival. I'm about to try some Nordost headphone cables for the headphones.

As for the Cavalli Liquid Gold, I still think it's the best headphone amp for these phones out there, with the Woo Audio mono blocs either as good or a close second!

n terms of pure musicality/ euphonia, the LCD3 + Alo Studio Six I tried bested them for the genres I listen to, and I'm not even a fan of the Audeze sound in general. The Fostex TH-900 (yes, a closed can ... gasp) + GS-X MK2, to my mind, remains the most entertaining combo out of all the high-end rigs I've tried, easily besting the Abyss + LAu and LCD3 + Alo Six in terms of "high from music" moments and presentation.No other combo makes me want to bounce and bob around as much. I don't really care if the Fostex's get slagged off by "true audiophiles" for being too hi-fi sounding or whatever. Obviously there's some bias here if you look at the equipment listed in my profile, but it's equipment I bought after comparing them with everything available in the market, so it's somewhat justified, in my mind.
http://www.changstar.com/index.php?topic=1061.108

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
To be honest, these headphones don't physically look like a $5500 product at all. I'm glad they sound good at least, Bruce.

isquirrel

VIP/Donor
Sep 23, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Bruce, I have the Abyss headphones, I liked the stock cables but recently had Peter form Double Helix make up a set of his Spore 4 Fusion's in full balanced config and they are substantially more transparent and musical. I have a close friend who also has the Abyss and also heard the difference and has ordered some. We both use the Woo 234 mono's so a bit different to the Cavali.

I love the headphones but hated the looks though, haven't found another that gets anything like close to their performance. I have the LCD-X, 3F's and the HE-1000 are arriving next week.

starstern

Jun 10, 2014
Bruce, I have the Abyss headphones, I liked the stock cables but recently had Peter form Double Helix make up a set of his Spore 4 Fusion's in full balanced config and they are substantially more transparent and musical. I have a close friend who also has the Abyss and also heard the difference and has ordered some. We both use the Woo 234 mono's so a bit different to the Cavali.

I love the headphones but hated the looks though, haven't found another that gets anything like close to their performance. I have the LCD-X, 3F's and the HE-1000 are arriving next week.

Spore 4 Fusion's "?? what is that a custom designed cable ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing