Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dsd compared to redbook

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]

Dsd compared to redbook

I'm hoping to hear from some other people who have DSD playback capability and DSD files to listen to with regards to their thoughts about how DSD sounds compared to RB digital. One of the things that I have noticed and I donít know if itís an anomaly with my Mytek Stereo 192 DAC is that bass on RB digital sounds much Ďpunchierí than DSD. All RB files that have significant bass encoded in them throw much more bass energy into my room through the Mytek than they ever did when played through my E-MU 0404 DAC. DSD files have great bass extension and smoothness, they just donít call attention to themselves the way the bass does through RB files. Is there any correlation that anyone has seen/heard that with the lower the resolution, the more the bass stands out?

To my ears, DSD files sound more elegant and refined than RB digital files and dare I say it, it reminds me more of listening to 15 ips 2 track tapes than digital. There is a smoothness there that I find missing with RB. The sound is more course via RB. It just sounds like DSD contains more information and brings you closer to the sound that would have been heard in the recording studio. Listening to DSD is a whole new chapter in digital playback quality for me. And all of these comments are prefaced on listening to 1xDSD (64fs). I donít own any 2xsDSD files (yet).

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    Discs only not files. The only way I can describe it is RB is 720 and DSD is 1080p but not quite that far apart. Early DSD players had a fuzzy quality to the top end. A friend actually described it as hirsute. I couldn't stop laughing. I don't hear that in newer generation players.

I never cared for SACD. I only bought a few discs and they never excited me which is why I only bought a few discs. They sounded more like RB upsampled than what my DSD files sound like.

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    When was this Mark? Older players did sound to me the way you described it. It could also have been the source of the SACDs as well. Some were made from PCM masters 24/48 as has been covered in other threads here and elsewhere. Maybe the reason you like your files better is that they are likely better files to begin with.

[WBF Founding Member]
    Pro Audio Production
    Member Sponsor
    No Mark... you're not imagining things....
    Bruce A. Brown
    Puget Sound Studios
    Stereomojo reviewer
    Seattle, WA

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!

What about SACDs extracted to hardrive via the PS3 and played back on the Mytek?

Is it superior to the physical disc playback?

[WBF Founding Member]
    Pro Audio Production
    Member Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by hvbias View Post
    What about SACDs extracted to hardrive via the PS3 and played back on the Mytek?

Is it superior to the physical disc playback?
    That's what we're talking about. DSD files ripped from an SACD by any method. It is better since you're not locked into having a physical disc being decoded and put through filters.
    Bruce A. Brown
    Puget Sound Studios
    Stereomojo reviewer
    Seattle, WA

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! dmnc02's Avatar
    This is my experience as well. I have mentioned in another thread a couple of weeks ago that I prefer the sound of ripped DSD files fed into my emm DAC2X by my music server to the sound of the original SACD's fed into the same DAC by the matching emm TSDX transport.

Quote Originally Posted by JackD201 View Post
    When was this Mark? Older players did sound to me the way you described it. It could also have been the source of the SACDs as well. Some were made from PCM masters 24/48 as has been covered in other threads here and elsewhere. Maybe the reason you like your files better is that they are likely better files to begin with.
    Jack-One was a Sony that I talked about before-the model number escapes me at the moment, but it was one of the decent ones with the copper lined chassis. The other one was a newer Denon (2809?). I just forgot about listening to SACDs and wrote them off until now. And since I have virtually nothing invested in SACDs, I'm not going to go through the pain of buying a old Sony Playstation and monkey-dicking with it so I can rip what few files I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
    That's what we're talking about. DSD files ripped from an SACD by any method. It is better since you're not locked into having a physical disc being decoded and put through filters.
    I see, I thought mep was referring to downloaded DSD files.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast