What are your goals in attending RMAF?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Anyone expect to be blown away? Or are you guys going just to have a beer and socialize?

Are all exhibitors just big pussies who only play Diana Krall and Norah Jones SACD's to please audiophiles, or are some exhibitors courageous enough to play some real music to see if their gear measures up to the real thing?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Why not go and find out?

It's nice to talk to the company principals (in many cases), you'll likely find some equipment that is a pleasant surprise, you might even find some new (to you) music that you like.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Why not go and find out?

It's nice to talk to the company principals (in many cases), you'll likely find some equipment that is a pleasant surprise, you might even find some new (to you) music that you like.

Thanks, Rbbert. Good goals.

Do any of them let you play your own music?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I hope no one says they are going because they want to meet women. :)

And to think all of the time I wasted through the years!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Beer here. Love them microbrews between 5-12 pct.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Thanks, Rbbert. Good goals.

Do any of them let you play your own music?

I would think most, depending on how many people are in the room and whether or not a source component is featured (e.g. probably not in a room with a reel to reel)

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
This will be my fouth RMAF in the last five years. I don't expect to be blown away. It is very hard to get really good sound in the limited time frame the exhibitors have to dial in the sound. I might be pleasantly surprised who knows.

My goal this year is to check out products I have not heard yet and to socialize. I will also give some products another listen. There is not enough time to visit every room so I plan to take my time and enjoy the experience.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA

Diana Krall, Amanda McBroom, Jennifer Warnes and Lisa Gerrard. Field must be open for fresh blood tremulous trillers.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Diana Krall, Amanda McBroom, Jennifer Warnes and Lisa Gerrard. Field must be open for fresh blood tremulous trillers.

Not even fresh blood...damn, at least play some Rickie Lee Jones. ;)

mep

Apr 20, 2010

That's for damn sure. That would be like going to a Ham Fest or a Star Wars Convention and thinking there would be some hot chicks there.

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
You can also get some great deals on equipment or music. I've seen some great gear going for less than half retail at the show. I enjoy buying records there and chatting with fellow audiophiles. I've also had some interesting conversations with some of the equipment designers. There are also some very good record stores in Denver! We've turned it into a yearly vacation and take a couple of weeks to tour the area between us and Denver. This year we're attending the balloon festival in Albuquerque, NM for a few days prior to the RMAF.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I would very much appreciate some comments from anyone who hears the following digital sources:

- Zanden 2500S (Room 521)
- Stahl Tek Opus (Room 570)
- Ypsilon digital (Main lobby Larkspur Room)
- Audio note digital (Room 566)

Thank you!!!

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You can also get some great deals on equipment or music. I've seen some great gear going for less than half retail at the show.

Really? Wow...i have to take the time to get to one of the bigger shows seriously one day...

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I'm actually very sorry I'm not going. It's been on my list of things to do for a while, along with driving the Ring and seeing Mt. Everest, and is probably easier and cheaper (maybe) to do than those things. I also would really like to meet some of you in person, because, in the short time I've been on the site, I've really come to enjoy alot of you guys.

Alan Sircom

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Aug 11, 2010
Anyone expect to be blown away? Or are you guys going just to have a beer and socialize?

Are all exhibitors just big pussies who only play Diana Krall and Norah Jones SACD's to please audiophiles, or are some exhibitors courageous enough to play some real music to see if their gear measures up to the real thing?

I think there should be a rule in all shows. When the thin-out point happens at the end of every day and on the last day, all bets are off.

The problem with the plinky-plonky dinner jazz played so extensively at shows is it does unfortunately fill rooms. I don't know why - when I've asked people about this, very few people actively like this kind of music - but if you reach too far out of band, the room empties. At the last two Manchester Sound & Vision shows in the UK, I handed the musical choice into the hands of the listeners, with a hard drive with hundreds of albums in all genre. There were some interesting choices (as I didn't have anything apart from magazine marketing and some subscriptions to sell, the number of people on seats was comparatively unimportant) but many people actively chose Norah Jones, SRV, etc, etc.

I can understand the reticence of manufacturers to play your music during the busy periods. Even if you pitched up with a piece of music that filled the room with glory, it sets a precedent that invariably leads to someone handing the manufacturer a true horror room clearing disc. However, my take on this is if you hear something you like and want to hear it with your own discs, ask them if you can come back when things are a bit quieter for a more thorough listen. That way, you get to listen to your music for longer and the manufacturer doesn't end up with the musical equivalent of a bad smell right at the point when custom is at its peak.

However, if the manufacturer flatly refuses to play your music under any condition (assuming, of course, they have provision to play what you want... no point getting upset about a vinyl-only system being unable to play your USB thumb drive) or at any time, I'd be reluctant to shortlist that manufacturer's products.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I think for much of WBF the acronym SRV stands for Stevie Ray Vaughan; I don't recall him being overplayed at last year's RAMF

Alan Sircom

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Aug 11, 2010
I think for much of WBF the acronym SRV stands for Stevie Ray Vaughan; I don't recall him being overplayed at last year's RAMF

Perhaps not at RMAF, but he's a staple in many European shows. Although recently even SRV has been passed over in favour of dinner jazz.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing