Martin-Logan Owners

roberto

Hola Adrian...yes I do understand what you mean, moving them around. ML still is very unknown...still have those funny looks here too. The first question is, are those speakers? Others are, is the sound coming from down, the bottom speaker to this metal see-through thing? Where the speakers are hidden? Are these things speakers? You must be kidding me!...due to the fact that because their large panel, and the diaphragm is so thin, there is no distortion. Every day, I listen to the music...and I caught myself tapping with my feet along with the rhythm of the music, or I should say, having the musician(s) playing for me here, in my own place. I really enjoy them a lot! I am a truly fan of ML products...these guys are doing their homework very well. Thanks Adrian, love to meet you sometime...who knows! Warm regards from Costa Rica!

Adrian Low

Industry Epert
Hi Roberto,

Yes I sense that you are a fan of Logan, as I am. It's always great to see the faces of people who have never heard the panels, and yes, I get the same questions!

Would love to meet one day. I go to CES every year, and I'm heading to CEDIA next week. Perhaps one of these days we will meet at one of the shows. One of my old clients has retired to Costa Rica, and he invites me whenever he visits Toronto, but I have no clue where he is in Costa Rica. He loves it there.

Best,
Adrian

roberto

Hola Adrian. I used to go to the Cedia show, mostly at Denver, but I think for me, the Vegas is where I like and usually go too. Love to meet you!... Regarding our Country, we are very small, de Dade County at Miami, has more people than we do here in all Costa Rica. We are a little green country, with mountains and sea at both sides. Driving from San Jose, less than one hour, you are at the Pacific Ocean, and two and half to three hours, because depends of the traffic, you are at the Atlantic. We still have a lot of wild life, and we are doing our best to preserve them. We have over 900 kinds of birds, and our bio-diversity is very wide. We have micro-climates, making this, a lot of possibility of vegetation and animals. Do your best, and come a visit us. There are great resorts that offers a good time for vacation. Adrian, thanks for your kind words!

Adrian Low

Industry Epert
Hola Adrian. I used to go to the Cedia show, mostly at Denver, but I think for me, the Vegas is where I like and usually go too. Love to meet you!... Regarding our Country, we are very small, de Dade County at Miami, has more people than we do here in all Costa Rica. We are a little green country, with mountains and sea at both sides. Driving from San Jose, less than one hour, you are at the Pacific Ocean, and two and half to three hours, because depends of the traffic, you are at the Atlantic. We still have a lot of wild life, and we are doing our best to preserve them. We have over 900 kinds of birds, and our bio-diversity is very wide. We have micro-climates, making this, a lot of possibility of vegetation and animals. Do your best, and come a visit us. There are great resorts that offers a good time for vacation. Adrian, thanks for your kind words!

Wow, you are describing paradise. I've often thought that when I finally retire (hah!), that I would love to live in a place with temperate climate, beautiful nature around, and a slower pace of life. Sounds like heaven Roberto

Adrian

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi Roberto, your experience with the CLS brings back many fond memories for me too. I remember seeing the CLS in a client's home where he had lights shining up behind the speakers...absolutely beautiful. To this day, a pair of CLS still looks very classy, though perhaps, for me, finished in a darker wood. I love how I can use them in smaller rooms. And what a great conversation piece. In my store, new visitors always go up to the speakers and put their ears up against the pane, then shake their heads and wonder how they could be speakers! In many ways, Martin Logans are a great option for people who want great music but don't like to look at traditional/boring box speakers.

I had a pair of CLX for quite a while, finally sold it to a friend. The speakers are just too big to display in my store, and hard to move them around, which is a necessary evil as we need to demonstrate many different speakers. Having said that, I do miss them.

I see that you have the Sonic Frontiers Line 2 preamp. I used to be the largest dealer in Canada until the company was sold. The founders went to the same University as I did, at the same

Best wishes
Adrian Low

Adrian - slightly off-topic, but after SF was sold didn't the former owners open up PartsConnexion in Burlington? I always heard that and was wondering. Thanks!

Adrian Low

Industry Epert
Adrian - slightly off-topic, but after SF was sold didn't the former owners open up PartsConnexion in Burlington? I always heard that and was wondering. Thanks!

Yes one of the owners, Chris Johnson, started Parts Connexion.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Yes one of the owners, Chris Johnson, started Parts Connexion.

Cool! I've had some work done over there on some vintage gear and terminating some very thick speaker cable that I couldn't do myself. Not cheap, but they did an excellent job.

roberto

Hi Roberto, your experience with the CLS brings back many fond memories for me too. I remember seeing the CLS in a client's home where he had lights shining up behind the speakers...absolutely beautiful. To this day, a pair of CLS still looks very classy, though perhaps, for me, finished in a darker wood. I love how I can use them in smaller rooms. And what a great conversation piece. In my store, new visitors always go up to the speakers and put their ears up against the pane, then shake their heads and wonder how they could be speakers! In many ways, Martin Logans are a great option for people who want great music but don't like to look at traditional/boring box speakers.

I had a pair of CLX for quite a while, finally sold it to a friend. The speakers are just too big to display in my store, and hard to move them around, which is a necessary evil as we need to demonstrate many different speakers. Having said that, I do miss them.

I see that you have the Sonic Frontiers Line 2 preamp. I used to be the largest dealer in Canada until the company was sold. The founders went to the same University as I did, at the same time!

Best wishes
Adrian Low
Hi Adrian...yes I have the Sonic Frontiers Line 2, and right now also, I am having some fun with a Bel Canto Monoblocks Model EVO2MKII, (mod at their power supply) and the sound is not bad. They exhibit more high frequency extension, and truly dynamic sound, but do not have the tube magic, and this magic is the mid range, and lower mid range. But also are very clean, with wide soundstage, with the right size of the instruments presentation. Vocals are ok too. They are a little bit more thin, but are not strident. Their sound is different than SS too... it is warmer and has better harmonic texture over all than SS. I think I am going to be nailed here, but this is my appreciation of these babies. Happy listening!

Adrian Low

Industry Epert
Cool! I've had some work done over there on some vintage gear and terminating some very thick speaker cable that I couldn't do myself. Not cheap, but they did an excellent job.

It's a good idea to get proper terminations done on cables. No worries about potential shorts, oxidation etc. I've bought quite a bit of parts from them over the years, including tubes recently. Great service

Adrian Low

Industry Epert
Hi Adrian...yes I have the Sonic Frontiers Line 2, and right now also, I am having some fun with a Bel Canto Monoblocks Model EVO2MKII, (mod at their power supply) and the sound is not bad. They exhibit more high frequency extension, and truly dynamic sound, but do not have the tube magic, and this magic is the mid range, and lower mid range. But also are very clean, with wide soundstage, with the right size of the instruments presentation. Vocals are ok too. They are a little bit more thin, but are not strident. Their sound is different than SS too... it is warmer and has better harmonic texture over all than SS. I think I am going to be nailed here, but this is my appreciation of these babies. Happy listening!

Hi Alberto,

I'm waiting for the newest Wyred 4 Sound Mamps, preamp and DAC to arrive. The Mamps use the latest ICE module, along with a custom input stage designed by Bascom King. He is the man who designs all the amps for Constellation audio. I'm very excited to see what the sound will be like, especially driving the Magnepans and Logans. Class D technology seems to have come a long way in the last 10 years or so.

I'm a fan of any type of technology that gets the music right. Since nothing is perfect, I own many different ones! haha

I see you play the guitar. Any recommendations for superior guitar performance? Any genre. I like to explore. Even better if it combines great performance and recorded quality.

Thanks Roberto

Adrian

roberto

Hola Adrian...there is a recording by Pepe Romero. The album name is Flamenco. It was recorded long time ago, and I do like the size of the guitar with the outstanding feet dancing at a big tablado. The guitar remains stable and the dancer is all over the stage. It is a Philips recording. The number is UM D2HD 022. Also, there are castañuelas, palm hands clapping, voices, guitar and feet tapping. For cymbal testing, I use Quality of Silence, by Steve Davis. Play track No. 2. For violin testing, I use a Salvatore Accardo, playing the Paganini 6 violin concerts. This is a very analogue recording, with outstanding violin sound and presentation. The violin has the right harmonic texture with the right size, and also a joy to listen. It is a Deuche Grammophon recording No 438 210 2. For big bang and female singer, I am using Nathalie Cole singing is Spanish. For big concert orchestras, there are so many good recordings on hand. Reference Recording, Chesky Records, offers many good selections as you do know. We use the same artists and the same recordings. There are so many on our hands, that my memory is tricking my mind. For electric guitar, I love the sound of Jim Hall, Pat Metheny, Lee Ritenour, Clapton, David Gilmore, again, there are so many choices...there are recordings that I do like: Double Bass Rarities - Berlin Classics, Barbara Sanderling playing the double bass. This recording is great for bass testing. Duests of cello and double bass is very difficult to get together. Works from Rossini, etc, are well recorded with outstanding performance. The size of the instruments must be understood perfectly in a well balanced system. For piano, I use Beegie Adair trio: Dancing in the Dark, tribute to Fred Astaire. There are so many good recording for piano performance, now I am listening to Valentina Lisitsa playing at the Royal Albert Hall. Wow, one of the best that I ever heard and a joy to listen. Do you want me to recommend to you only Spanish classical guitar players or any type of music?.

Adrian Low

Industry Epert
Hola Adrian...there is a recording by Pepe Romero. The album name is Flamenco. It was recorded long time ago, and I do like the size of the guitar with the outstanding feet dancing at a big tablado. The guitar remains stable and the dancer is all over the stage. It is a Philips recording. The number is UM D2HD 022. Also, there are castañuelas, palm hands clapping, voices, guitar and feet tapping. For cymbal testing, I use Quality of Silence, by Steve Davis. Play track No. 2. For violin testing, I use a Salvatore Accardo, playing the Paganini 6 violin concerts. This is a very analogue recording, with outstanding violin sound and presentation. The violin has the right harmonic texture with the right size, and also a joy to listen. It is a Deuche Grammophon recording No 438 210 2. For big bang and female singer, I am using Nathalie Cole singing is Spanish. For big concert orchestras, there are so many good recordings on hand. Reference Recording, Chesky Records, offers many good selections as you do know. We use the same artists and the same recordings. There are so many on our hands, that my memory is tricking my mind. For electric guitar, I love the sound of Jim Hall, Pat Metheny, Lee Ritenour, Clapton, David Gilmore, again, there are so many choices...there are recordings that I do like: Double Bass Rarities - Berlin Classics, Barbara Sanderling playing the double bass. This recording is great for bass testing. Duests of cello and double bass is very difficult to get together. Works from Rossini, etc, are well recorded with outstanding performance. The size of the instruments must be understood perfectly in a well balanced system. For piano, I use Beegie Adair trio: Dancing in the Dark, tribute to Fred Astaire. There are so many good recording for piano performance, now I am listening to Valentina Lisitsa playing at the Royal Albert Hall. Wow, one of the best that I ever heard and a joy to listen. Do you want me to recommend to you only Spanish classical guitar players or any type of music?.

Thank you Roberto! Great list. I have some recordings of the Romeros, I believe on Mercury. Wonderful music and recordings in general. Bought Friday Night in San Francisco about 15 years ago, wonderful live album of John McLaughlin, Paco DeLucia and Al Dimeola. I'm looking to expand my horizons re Spanish/latin music. Was introduced to Cesara Evoria many years ago, and I can't get enough. I think of her as the Latin Billie Holiday :)

Certainly, any recordings you love for the musical content that are great for demonstration would be wonderful. It's hard to find albums that combine inspired music that are also well recorded.

Many years ago, I bought Gary Karr playing a kontrabass by Amati called Adagio D'Albinioni. Fantastic recording, not such great playing in my opinion. Wonderful demo material though, especially if you play the first cut on small speakers. It often shocks people how low some small speakers can go if there is real low frequency. http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/13158/Gary_Karr_Harmon_Lewis-Adagio_DAlbinoni-Vinyl_Record

another very well done album is Antonio Forcione and Sabina Sciubba "Meet me in London" by Naim Label. http://www.naimlabel.com/artist-antonio-forcione---sabina-sciubba.aspx

Maybe we should start a new thread on great albums that are really well recorded. I'm sure there's already a thread. I'll check.

These days, I play most of my music through a music server. I use a Mac Mini or the Naim HDX, then USB out to a DAC like the MSB Analog or the wonderful Wadia 321. You should check out the Wadia if you can. Great DAC, very musical, beautifully made, and very inexpensive for the performance. About $3,000 USD but looks like it's worth $10,000, and sounds like it too. Softer than many DACs using the Saber chip. We've sold lots of them. I don't use turntables much as I'm too lazy :). Also, I have music on all the time, and it's nice to have my collection playing on shuffle. This way I often discover music I didn't even know I had.

Let me start a new music thread and we can keep adding to it

Thanks my brother

Best,
Adrian

Adrian Low

Industry Epert
Looks like there's already a thread under the general music section. I'll see if it is generic or if there is a specific one for high quality recordings as well

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Looks like there's already a thread under the general music section. I'll see if it is generic or if there is a specific one for high quality recordings as well

The HOT PRESSINGS thread is worthwhile having a look through.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks man. I'll definitely check it out.

Which Genesis speakers are you using?

G7.1f

I heard the G7p's and the G5.3's (?) at Taves a few years back in the Rutherford room. It was early Saturday morning and Gary played some great tunes from his server for about an hour. A few months later an opportunity to acquire the G7.1f's came up and I jumped on it. It took a while to dial them in properly, as I also changed rooms, but I've worked at it and couldn't be happier now with their performance.

Maybe one day the Lord will smile down on me and tell me to get some G5.3's......what an absolutely wonderful speaker that is.

Adrian Low

Industry Epert
G7.1f

I heard the G7p's and the G5.3's (?) at Taves a few years back in the Rutherford room. It was early Saturday morning and Gary played some great tunes from his server for about an hour. A few months later an opportunity to acquire the G7.1f's came up and I jumped on it. It took a while to dial them in properly, as I also changed rooms, but I've worked at it and couldn't be happier now with their performance.

Maybe one day the Lord will smile down on me and tell me to get some G5.3's......what an absolutely wonderful speaker that is.

Very nice! I'll have to visit Gary's room next time I'm in Vegas. Actually he'll be at CEDIA next week so I'll probably see him

roberto

roberto

Hahahahahaha....we are trying to do our best...but, remember the true history, do not believe too much in propaganda...happy listening!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing