Greetings from Sydney, Australia

alistairm

Sep 29, 2012
Australia
G'day

I'm an audiophile from Sydney, just enjoying the constant journey.

I'm lucky enough to have a treated room, and a system that keeps me happy. But the drive to upgrade never ends. Next up is my analogue front end, but current setup is as follows (component - cables).

Avantgarde Trios - Crystal Cable Diamond Reference speaker cables ( now Jorma Statement)

Dartzeel NHB-108 - JPS Aluminata Power, Jorma Origo RCA

Dartzeel NHB-18S - battery powered (Power cable irrelevant?)

TNT VPI 5 with Lyra Skala, JMW 12 inch tonearm, SDS - Jorma Origo RCA now Air Force 2, Thales Simplicity 2, Atlas)

dCS Puccini with uclock - JPS Aluminata power, Jorma Origo RCA, DCS bnc between uclock & Puccini

Pureaudio PS10 power regenerator - Shuntaya Cobra Tron power cable from wall (JPS in wall cabling from switch board, 2 x dedicated circuits)

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Welcome to WBF alistairm! That's some nice gear you have Sir and you'll fit right in as we have several members here who own some of the same equipment. We're a voyeuristic bunch, so do post up some pictures when you have a moment. They are always appreciated.

Have you made any decisions on the upgrade to your front end or are you just in the process looking/auditioning alternatives?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Nice system! There have been lots of discussion about your amp which is of course highly regarded. Imagine with the efficiency and load of your speakers, that must be quite special. I do note that many owners of your speakers use SET amps...did you ever consider them? If so, what did you think or what drove you to run with Dartzeel? Thanks for any insights. Enjoy your fabulous system!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Welcome aboard to the show that never ends :)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Nice system! I had Avantgarde as well some moons back, I am sure yours sound great witbthe Dzel gear feeding them! Welcome...

alistairm

Sep 29, 2012
Australia
Thanks guys - I will post pics soon.

As to amps, I was previously running Tom Evans Linear Bs. Great dynamics. I preferred more powerful amps with the Avantgardes, despite their easy load.

Front end will be a long process of auditioning & research!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Thanks guys - I will post pics soon.

As to amps, I was previously running Tom Evans Linear Bs. Great dynamics. I preferred more powerful amps with the Avantgardes, despite their easy load.

Front end will be a long process of auditioning & research!
Yeap, I tried many amps with the Avantgardes, push-pull amps worked the best.

alistairm

Sep 29, 2012
Australia
Bit of an update - I am now running a Basis with a Graham tonearm and Lyra Atlas.

And a couple of pics of the room. (The first is taken through a window, so has some reflections.)

Still working on the room, but it's 80% done. Kitchen at the back is changing to white, some more cupboards over next to the desk, and Luxaflex blinds to come.

Al

_8006069.jpg _8006071.jpg _8006074.jpg _8006075.jpg

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Beautiful system ... Welcome Alistair .. Drop dead gorgeous ..

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
My imagination or have you changed your turntable since you listed your equipment above :)

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Great room and equipment - I have loved the Trios since I saw a pair in cherry red many years ago. But yours are really masterly integrated in the decor.
Can you tell us some details about the ceiling and wall acoustic panels you are using?

alistairm

Sep 29, 2012
Australia
Thank you guys. The LP storage was custom made for me.

The acoustic treatments were handled by an acoustic engineer in Sydney who has a PhD in small room acoustics and manufacturered by a local company.

There are 4x large roof panels, 8x wall panels and 4x Helmholtz resonators.

The speakers are yet to be properly voiced and tuned in... hoping to get that done in the next couple of weeks.

Al

alistairm

Sep 29, 2012
Australia
I have a new turntable here. The Air Force 2 with a Thales Simplicity 2 tonearm. Still using an Atlas.

I have also changed the speaker cables to Jorma Statement, changed racks and done some other tweaks. I will update the photos.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Congratulations on the Air Force 2 Al, I'll be installing one tomorrow. I'm rather excited since while I've heard it a few times in Japan, it will be my first time to actually get my mitts on one and do set up. :)

BTW, I was a long time VPI owner as well. Loved my HRX and wish I didn't need the proceeds from its sale. Like you, I'm also an Air Force owner now.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Awesome system and room, one could stay in there for days.

Congrats on the Air Force 2 and Thales arm, I have a Air Force One and truly enjoy!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing