Rockport to Release Mother of all Turntables

paskinn

Jan 28, 2013
That is quite an observation. Was this in a different system context, or did you hear your 30/12 in the same system as the Super Rockport? I'm curious because for a 30/12 to sound almost broken is quite a statement. I'd be interested to know what other equipment this dealer would have in such a system. It must sound incredible. Thank you for sharing.

I know it sounds unlikely, I adore my 30-12 and will probably never replace it. It sounds wonderful. But I have heard the SME in direct comparison with the Super Rockport. I've also heard direct, lengthy, comparisons between the Rockport and a variety of other super decks (not the Tech Das). The scale of the gap in performance was striking, at least to my ears. That is not meant as a criticism, because great decks have to exist in the real, commercial, world, the Super Rockport ignores such criteria, and doesn't exist as a real world product. In that sense it isn't competition for anything you can actually buy. Next time you are in London, Peter. i'l take you to hear it. And you are right about the rest of the system. As an example, the transformers are wired with pure platinum, 300,000 dollars worth. Annoyingly, it does seem to make an audible difference . Crazy, but I like the idea that someone is prepared to be very silly.....the guy is a dealer, but this sort of stuff is done for his own fun, not for resale. In truth he's a dealer who is really just an enthusiast who funds his hobby by selling fine, but more 'normal' equipment. I haven't given his name, because the aim is to give a few details about the Rockport, not boost a particular business . This is more about a personal obsession with seeing how far things can be pushed.

paskinn

Jan 28, 2013
Unobtanium at really high costium to make everybody else audio nervosium.

A fair point, but I am glad someone is daft enough to do it. Look at it this way, it's his money, not ours. I like a bit of silliness.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Unobtanium at really high costium to make everybody else audio nervosium.

Cjfrbw,

Audio nervosium is not caused by the Unobtanium or costium, but by people who have large experience and own excellent equipment and directly report to us the facts.

(...) But I have heard the SME in direct comparison with the Super Rockport. I've also heard direct, lengthy, comparisons between the Rockport and a variety of other super decks (not the Tech Das). The scale of the gap in performance was striking, at least to my ears. (...)

Next time I am in London I hope I have some free time ... ;)

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
I really like my air isolation table , same one used by Rockport. The company's name is TMC. My table top is larger 24''x 24" , top weight is 300 Lbs. Rockport's table is 18"x 24" at 250 Lbs. My current turntable is a Basis debut .

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I really like my air isolation table , same one used by Rockport. The company's name is TMC. My table top is larger 24''x 24" , top weight is 300 Lbs. Rockport's table is 18"x 24" at 250 Lbs. My current turntable is a Basis debut .

Hi Sam, Yes I can believe that you really like your TMC table. I've been looking for a used one since you first mentioned yours to me. I gave up and finally bought a Vibraplane. Have you experimented with pre-loading your TMC close to the 300 lb limit by putting a piece of steel under your Basis? I found that that really improved the performance of my Vibraplane and it also allowed me to put the motor controller up on the Vibraplane for further improvements. I think this TMC air-isolation base is one of the aspects of the Rockport that gives it such great performance.

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
Hello Peter,

The specs on this TMC table is rated at 1800 Lbs. total weight. 300 Lbs. per corner.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hello Peter,

The specs on this TMC table is rated at 1800 Lbs. total weight. 300 Lbs. per corner.

That seems a bit over-designed for your application. I've read and now hear in my system that isolation is optimized when the load is close to the maximum design weight. I wonder if you could swap out smaller isolators, say 50 lbs per corner. Might be expensive though. Have you tried putting your amps on air isolation? That also made a remarkable difference in my system.

I apologize for taking the thread off topic. I'm sure the Rockport base is optimized for the load of the turntable for maximum isolation.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Cjfrbw,

Audio nervosium is not caused by the Unobtanium or costium, but by people who have large experience and own excellent equipment and directly report to us the facts.

Uh, Huh. Nobody is dazzled by cost and exclusivity, got it.

APayor

May 2, 2013
Since I've had several inquiries about this post and the "Super Rockport" I feel I must clarify several statements made concerning these three phonographs. First of all, the three units in question are all stock System III Sirius phonographs, which were built right alongside other production models of their type.

It's true that the System III project was not a huge commercial success due to the enormous costs involved in manufacturing components with millionths (not thousandths) of an inch machining tolerances, and then outfitting them with the most advanced, quietest, phase and the velocity servo controlled, direct drive air spindle resulting in a +/- 5 ppm (parts per million) speed accuracy, zero torque ripple, and noise floor of better than -120 dB. The air bearing design and motor and speed control were designed specifically for this application by my good friend Tim Sheridan. I had the privilege of working together with Tim on several projects over the course of more than 20 years, and he was certainly one of the most talented air bearing and motor control design engineers ever, but there was never a "Super Rockport" project that he worked on outside of what we did together for the System III Sirius. As I mentioned before, all three of these phonographs are stock units, and all of the parts on them are the exact parts that exist on any other System III. The owner did strip one of the units down however, so that he could have it painted in that beautiful Bentley White shown in the picture. The very last System III that I built was for Tim, although he never put together a complete audio system, so I used it here at our shop for about two years prior to Tim selling it to my UK distributor.

What Tim did do to the "Super Rockports" was convert the voltage from 110 V to 240 V, and then make sure that the turntable control unit was calibrated - something that was done for every single production unit. So, I hate to dispel the myth, but these are just regular, run-of-the-mill, sub-millionth inch (not meter) runout, five-part per milion speed accuracy, air suspension, essentially noiseless, System III Sirius phonographs.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I know it sounds unlikely, I adore my 30-12 and will probably never replace it. It sounds wonderful. But I have heard the SME in direct comparison with the Super Rockport. I've also heard direct, lengthy, comparisons between the Rockport and a variety of other super decks (not the Tech Das). The scale of the gap in performance was striking, at least to my ears. That is not meant as a criticism, because great decks have to exist in the real, commercial, world, the Super Rockport ignores such criteria, and doesn't exist as a real world product. In that sense it isn't competition for anything you can actually buy. Next time you are in London, Peter. i'l take you to hear it. And you are right about the rest of the system. As an example, the transformers are wired with pure platinum, 300,000 dollars worth. Annoyingly, it does seem to make an audible difference . Crazy, but I like the idea that someone is prepared to be very silly.....the guy is a dealer, but this sort of stuff is done for his own fun, not for resale. In truth he's a dealer who is really just an enthusiast who funds his hobby by selling fine, but more 'normal' equipment. I haven't given his name, because the aim is to give a few details about the Rockport, not boost a particular business . This is more about a personal obsession with seeing how far things can be pushed.

I just spoke with this dealer tonite...wow, he is a serious enthusiast alright! Looking forward to hearing the Altairs in next several weeks.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Since I've had several inquiries about this post and the "Super Rockport" I feel I must clarify several statements made concerning these three phonographs. First of all, the three units in question are all stock System III Sirius phonographs, which were built right alongside other production models of their type.

It's true that the System III project was not a huge commercial success due to the enormous costs involved in manufacturing components with millionths (not thousandths) of an inch machining tolerances, and then outfitting them with the most advanced, quietest, phase and the velocity servo controlled, direct drive air spindle resulting in a +/- 5 ppm (parts per million) speed accuracy, zero torque ripple, and noise floor of better than -120 dB. The air bearing design and motor and speed control were designed specifically for this application by my good friend Tim Sheridan. I had the privilege of working together with Tim on several projects over the course of more than 20 years, and he was certainly one of the most talented air bearing and motor control design engineers ever, but there was never a "Super Rockport" project that he worked on outside of what we did together for the System III Sirius. As I mentioned before, all three of these phonographs are stock units, and all of the parts on them are the exact parts that exist on any other System III. The owner did strip one of the units down however, so that he could have it painted in that beautiful Bentley White shown in the picture. The very last System III that I built was for Tim, although he never put together a complete audio system, so I used it here at our shop for about two years prior to Tim selling it to my UK distributor.

What Tim did do to the "Super Rockports" was convert the voltage from 110 V to 240 V, and then make sure that the turntable control unit was calibrated - something that was done for every single production unit. So, I hate to dispel the myth, but these are just regular, run-of-the-mill, sub-millionth inch (not meter) runout, five-part per milion speed accuracy, air suspension, essentially noiseless, System III Sirius phonographs.

Wow...another legend posts in WBF. We had Dan D'Agostino posting for the first time yesterday. Thank you for your time. You will see quite a number of Rockport speaker fans here as well, including some who are anxiously awaiting their new speakers...and many more who are anxiously awaiting the reports of how they sound! I spoke with the folks at Goodwins who kindly put me in touch with Unique Audio and look forward to hearing the Altairs.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com

Thanks for chiming in here, Andy: your perspective is very illuminating.

While you're here, is there any chance of a follow-on product? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see your all-out assault on the state of the turntable art, using contemporary materials and techniques!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Time to ramp up some Rockport Sirius production again. The market is growing once more. ;)

+1 !!!

(My Rockport Altairs arrive tomorrow !!!)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Rockport remains a benchmark to this day. Should Andy decide to make and sell it again giving the buyer the option of using his own choice of arm. Hooboy!

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Herer is a picture of the one of the three sent to UK which was painted in a different color. The owner is actually a member here.

SiriusIV_1.jpg
SiriusIV_2.jpg
SiriusIV_3.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing