Tube Pre-Amps and polarity

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
When I purchased my GRAAF WFB ONE pre-amp about eight years ago, the seller told me that the output has switched "polarity", and that I should invert my speaker wires or invert my output interconnects (but not both at the same time).

That is to say put R to L and L to R.

However, I have just re-tubed the unit and nothing in the owner's manual mentions reversed polarity.

In fact it says: Connect the input and output pins to the LEFT and RIGHT channels respecting the signal direction. Assure that the connections are good.

Was I given bad information by the stereo shop which sold me my unit, or is the manual a bit neglectful?

Is there a simple way to test the polarity of my unit?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
When I purchased my GRAAF WFB ONE pre-amp about eight years ago, they seller told me that the output has switched "polarity", and that I should invert my speaker wires or invert my output interconnects (but not both at the same time).

However, I have just re-tubed the unit and nothing in the owner's manual mentions reversed polarity.

In fact it says: Connect the input and output pins to the LEFT and RIGHT channels respecting the signal direction. Assure that the connections are good.

Was I given bad information by the stereo shop which sold me my unit, or is the manual a bit neglectful?

The number of gain stages, if you can find out, in the preamp, will tell you. Odd = inverting; even = non-inverting.

I assume that you just reversed L & R at the speaker or amplifier end? Other than that, the only way I know of is listening; sure there must be a test disc somewhere.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
............ a test disc somewhere.
I have a few somewhere.

I'm not going to fry anything with non-inverted polarity, right?

I had the outputs at the pre-amp which go to the amp reversed on purpose. I'm debating on doing it again.

There is a second pair of outputs which I use for my dual voice coil subwoofer, would I want to switch this one too?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
When I purchased my GRAAF WFB ONE pre-amp about eight years ago, they seller told me that the output has switched "polarity", and that I should invert my speaker wires or invert my output interconnects (but not both at the same time).

Polarity is notcompensated reversing right channel with left channel.

Polarity changes the phase of the electrical and the acoustical signal . This means when the speakers are pushing they should be pulling and surely pulling when they should be pushing.

Two inverts will give you normal polarity. If your preamplifier inverts polarity you have to invert again to compensate for it. The easiest way is changing the + and - wires of both speakers (keeping L and R surely) . In order to do it you must be sure your speaker system does not have a common ground, such as some systems with subwoofers.

If you your preamplifier has two sets of RCA outputs one normal and one invert , you can choose the invert for carrying this compensation.

Reactions: kach22i

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I must be missing something here or I am tired. Swapping ICs from left to right will have no impact on reversed polarity. You can only correct reversed polarity by switching the + and – at the amp or at the speakers, but never both at the same time or you will still have reversed polarity. Owner’s manuals usually always call for reversing the polarity at the speakers. If you leave the polarity reversed, it won’t hurt anything and some people can’t even hear it. If the polarity is reversed, when your speakers should be moving forward (excursion), they will be moving backwards (rarefaction) instead. Thought of another way, when your speakers should be blowing they are sucking, and when they are sucking they should be blowing.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I (...) There is a second pair of outputs which I use for my dual voice coil subwoofer, would I want to switch this one too?

Be careful - is it a passive subwoofer with dual coils or an active sub (with filter and amplifiers) that drives a dual coil speaker?

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Polarity is not compensated reversing right channel with left channel.
Correct.

I didn't mean to imply messing with the channels only the + and - of each respective channel.

It looks like I'm not at risk of doing damage operating out of phase should my unit be a phase inverting type.

I'll use a test CD or the Ricky Lee Jones LP I have on hand.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/rec.audio.opinion/q4QKKlpHMM8
Get the recording of Rickie Lee Jones first album, called,
appropriately, Rickie Lee Jones. Listen to the track EASY MONEY. With a
system that is correct in absolute phase, she sounds like she is in fornt
of the instruments (naturally!) and when the system inverts, she sounds
like she is behind the insstruments. There are many other recordings
where this effect is easily heard.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
When I purchased my GRAAF WFB ONE pre-amp about eight years ago, the seller told me that the output has switched "polarity", and that I should invert my speaker wires or invert my output interconnects (but not both at the same time).

My preamp is also an inverting preamp

All I do is reverse the speaker cable leads at the outputs of my amp

I also have a pair of subs coming out of the preamp and I reverse the speaker cables as well to the subs

Reactions: kach22i

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My preamp is also an inverting preamp

All I do is reverse the speaker cable leads at the outputs of my amp

I also have a pair of subs coming out of the preamp and I reverse the speaker cables as well to the subs

ditto.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
It's pretty simple ;)

Unless you have multiple source components and one of them inverts phase. This is most common with tube phono stages and mixing with a CD player for instance.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Unless you have multiple source components and one of them inverts phase. This is most common with tube phono stages and mixing with a CD player for instance.

Still very easy - you just swap the + and - at the cartridge!

I hope you do not have a tuner that inverts the phase - then we could have a problem.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Unless you have multiple source components and one of them inverts phase..................
My mind started to go in this direction while I was back there, then I felt a certain audio madness start to set in.:cool:

Thanks to everyone, I had just replaced the tubes in my pre-amp but not the ones in the phono section, and I have the same problem I had before (inverted polarity aside).

Guess it wasn't the tubes gone bad after all.

I'm getting sound out of the left speaker only, the balance control seems to have no effect (some volume fluctuation). When I turn it all the way to the right, sound still only comes out of the left.

I'm guessing it could be the balance potentiometer, but really don't have an idea, just guessing.

I'll double check any possible physical or mechanical linkages which may or may not exist between the channels.

Looks like the pre-amp is going to the shop with the in need of repair tube power amp I have.

I'll be getting my old Carver CT-17 pre-amp/processor/tuner out of the basement next. I really hate that thing after hearing a true non-mid-fi pre-amp in my system.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I used to be fairly religious about absolute polarity, but over time discovered (a) it was almost impossible to hear if it was reversed (though easy to mesaure), and (b) a number of recordings had reversed or random polarity so it didn't really matter anyway.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I used to be fairly religious about absolute polarity, but over time discovered (a) it was almost impossible to hear if it was reversed (though easy to mesaure), and (b) a number of recordings had reversed or random polarity so it didn't really matter anyway.

But if you know it's reversed, it will drive you crazy. Otherwise, you have to turn your audiophile card in and listen to Bose.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
If polarity (phase) is wrong, you will know it. When compared to correct phase, bass output is markedly decreased and soundstage becomes indistinct and wavering. If you have any question, use a mono LP and try hooking up your speakers both ways...it's really easy to hear the difference and tell which is correct.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
If polarity (phase) is wrong, you will know it. When compared to correct phase, bass output is markedly decreased and soundstage becomes indistinct and wavering. If you have any question, use a mono LP and try hooking up your speakers both ways...it's really easy to hear the difference and tell which is correct.

Doc-Are you sure you aren't talking about "out of phase" vice reversed phase? What you just described is what "out of phase" sounds like and not reversed phase.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO

What mep said. If the phase of both channels are inverted there is no cancellation. If one channel is reversed and the other not, you will cancel the sound from the speakers at the listening position. If everything was perfect you'd hear nothing; in practice, the most cancellation occurs in the bass.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Doc-Are you sure you aren't talking about "out of phase" vice reversed phase? What you just described is what "out of phase" sounds like and not reversed phase.

Yep, my bad :eek:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing