SONY Double Dolby Surround

eugen_syd

Jun 20, 2010
Hi everyone,

Double doubly surround always fascinated me. I really wanted to do it on a low budget so I purchased 2 x SONY surround sound processors. One 7.1 SONY STR-DB798 and one 6.2 SONY STR-K1600. Problem was not getting the stuff, was convincing the wife to put 16 speakers in my livingroom (try to make it as your wife ideea, works better from my experience). Somehow was done as ..."experimental" first which become permanent. Every source (DVD or BLU-RAY player) you have has coax as well as optical (or HDMI output). Through trial and error I discovered that both give output same time so connected to the 2 sound processors via different connection (coax and optical). I adjusted each amplifier independent for levels and power one at the time for volume control to set to similar level. When you power both same time...BINGO, you step in a new world. You can try this at home and I promise you, you will never regret it. Ofcource you can run any time only one at the time.
I hope I inspired you for a new project.
Eugen

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That is a pretty interesting way of building a 15+ channel system on the cheap! At least as far as processing and amplification is concerned.

I would think getting all of those speakers to play well together would be hard though. Did you do it for the fun factor or better realism?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
So where do the other set of 7.1s go? Are they stacked on the primary set?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

eugen_syd

Jun 20, 2010
Sorry Steve, I have no wide angles but I hope you will get the picture. I posted a front and rear picture. Unfortunatly you can not see teh 2 spakers in middle and the 2 center speakers located behind my TV set. Yes, I am a fan of SONY products also. You also can see my treasures, my REVOXES (too hard to remove for the picture! In the weekend I bought for $40.00 a sound meter which helps a lot in an accurate adjusting of teh 2 systems! I still have to use the 2 systems when wife is not home..hahahahaha.
LET YOUR IMMAGINATION RUN!

Eugen

Attachments

• Rear..jpg
    Rear..jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 503
  • Front..jpg
    Front..jpg
    415.5 KB · Views: 1,998

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing