Technics SL-3200

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I've been looking for a low cost project direct drive turntable to do some experimenting on, and found it Sunday for $45.00.

It was found at a rather strange place, it's part bar and part flee market on Sundays. An interesting group of fringe-like people mulling about, I sort of fitted right in.

Technics SL-3200
http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x295/kach22i/Stereo/

This unit is heavier than it looks, I think it's basically an SL-1200 without the Quartz locking.

Does anyone recognize the Grado cartridge model?

The felt disk pad looks brand new, but I will not be needing it.

Before I disassemble it to fit it into my own custom plinth and hopeful attempt a DIY tonearm I will have to compare it to my old belt drive turntable and see what all the fuss is about. I've never owned a Direct Drive before, so this should be a learning experience.

I've spent more for an album before, so I don't expect to have a lot of remorse should my design plans fail or falter.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Aerosmith had a song about that, it's called "Dream On."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing