Reference 10 preamplifier

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wizard,

Cool! When is this coming out?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Looks like ARC has a lot of upgrades. It's tough to keep up.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
lifecycle on ARC products getting shorter and shorter...:p...soon ARC will write best before date on top of its products...

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Emre,

Have you heard about "milking it for all its worth"? That's what they're doing, with ARC and Sonus faber... And soon Wadia...

alexandre

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
Alexandre,

+1, they are going from artisanal to mass produced nonsense no soul products.

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
lifecycle on ARC products getting shorter and shorter...:p...soon ARC will write best before date on top of its products...

I am not sure that is a fair comment. The Reference 10 does not appear to be a replacement for the Reference 5SE, but rather for the Reference Anniversary, which was a special commemorative product and has been out of production for a year now. It essentially marks the re-introduction in ARC's regular product line of a preamplifier with a separate power supply.

Last edited:

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
And, it fits the price point for a high-end preamp these days; the 'standard' Reference series is, by comparison, almost underpriced given where the market is- typically 20k and over for the uber pieces. I like ARC, but haven't owned any of their recent stuff, started with them back in 1975 (and still have one of their amps from that period).
I liked my Sp-10mkii back in the day, and my SP-3 a-1 when it was extant.

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
I am not sure that is a fair comment.
I dont think so after ARC was bought by Quadrivio product life cycle has been reduced significantly. I know at least couple of annoyed owners of REF 3 and REF 5. It was just merely couple of months that REF 5SE has been introduced, most probably we will see a REF 5SE MKII based on the learnings and improvements of REF 10.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Alexandre,

+1, they are going from artisanal to mass produced nonsense no soul products.

I have to disagree. Recent ARC products, such as the Anniversary REF 40 preamplifier and the ARC REF150 show more of the soul of the music than their predecessors and show less colorations. And happily their latest top line has a factory upgrade path to SE status, although AFAIK the factory is not being able to carry it with the efficiency users would like.

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
Microstrip my point is exactly that if you have just purchased a Anniversary REF 40 couple of months ago as a pinnacle of ARC. and now you found out that there is an better version would not you be pissed off.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Microstrip my point is exactly that if you have just purchased a Anniversary REF 40 couple of months ago as a pinnacle of ARC. and now you found out that there is an better version would not you be pissed off.

We are still guessing - we do not know how the REF10 will compare with the Anniversary REF40. I have to say I was expecting it - after a commemorative model with high success a replacement model was needed. If is was a much less expensive unit with better performance I would be worried, but is seems it will be more expensive - we should hope that it will be a little better. :)

BTW, my REF 40 was the first unit to reach my country - it is over 4000 hours in the timer now!

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Hi,

Our local just informed me today and he said the retail price is around $30t and its a new design and the Ref 40 cant be upgraded.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Looks super-cool! :eek:
Internal phonostage as in the SP-10? (which, I guess, is "cited" by the dual-chassis design and the #10)

Hi I am kinda curious to...is this a linestage only or a full preamp with phono?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi,

Our local just informed me today and he said the retail price is around $30t and its a new design and the Ref 40 cant be upgraded.

Why upgrading the best? :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing