Reference 10 preamplifier

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Anyone here have a perspective on the Ref 10 versus the top of the line VTL 7.5-III?

What is the amplifier you are considering? The VTL has a solid state buffer that can drive low input impedance famplifiers, the REF10 is pure tube preamplfier with a dual mono tube regulated power supply.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
The existing amps are similar to ICE amps -- they have DSP and crossover functionality built in and are sold as part of the speakers. They are located adjacent and are a very easy load:
http://proaudiotechnology.com/pma-models.html

Later this year or early next I'll likely replace my active speakers with more traditional passive ones, at which point I'll most likely end up with either a Ref 250 or a VTL S400.

Many years ago I had a Ref 3 with VTL 750s, which I really liked. (A bit "syrupy" but with tone and dimensionality and liquidity that was highly involving.)

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Ultra 5 .vs. Ultra SS

Hardly the expert, but I have compared them on a few components for a day before letting the Ultra SS go (for me). In my own experience, I would look at the 'specs' for the Ultra 5 vs Ultra SS as more about how sensitive the equipment is to vibration than its weight. In other words, rather than look at the load bearing capability of either...I would look at how many of those 'isolation pockets' each has...5 in the Ultra 5 vs 1 in the Ultra SS. At least, that is how I ended up looking at it...believe me, I did not wish to shell out so much for the Ultra 5s on my lighter weight components...but they did end up making a bigger improvement (for me).

Yes, that is the way to look at it; number of technology pockets working for you. As always, though, we recommend listening to learn which sounds best. My Berning preamp and amp are both very light compared to many designs. I use Ultra SS + Ultra Base under each to very good affect. I bettered that by putting an LPI on top of each. Could Ultra 5s yield improvements? I've not tried them in that position yet as the economics of doing so are beyond me at this point, though, through experience, I suspect I would realize an improvement.

John

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
OFFS!!!

I am/was/am/was/ giving serious consideration upon a move from my incumbent Ref5SE to an Ref10 only to note that it would appear ARC have moved the current production 10's to the new green substrated PCB from the tried, tested and easy to work on PCB with uncovered traces???? FFS!!!! Once again.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jmAHEBbdnXk

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..WOW...makes you wanna grab the old checkbook...purty!

patpend

Member Sponsor
Jun 6, 2015
Arizona
OFFS!!!

I am/was/am/was/ giving serious consideration upon a move from my incumbent Ref5SE to an Ref10 only to note that it would appear ARC have moved the current production 10's to the new green substrated PCB from the tried, tested and easy to work on PCB with uncovered traces???? FFS!!!! Once again.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jmAHEBbdnXk

Harlequin, don't fret about the green, just go for it :)
I'm burning my new Ref10 in through about 350 hours now, and a definite upgrade from my Ref5SE, particularly if you're using monoblock amplifiers since the Ref 10 is dual mono...

Edit: Sidenote btw...i changed the Sovtec tubes to Electroharmonix-seems to have made a marked improvement to me.

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Harlequin, don't fret about the green, just go for it :)
I'm burning my new Ref10 in through about 350 hours now, and a definite upgrade from my Ref5SE, particularly if you're using monoblock amplifiers since the Ref 10 is dual mono...

Edit: Sidenote btw...i changed the Sovtec tubes to Electroharmonix-seems to have made a marked improvement to me.

Would it possible for you to expand on the improvements Electroharmonix tubes have made and also which tubes did you change? Many thanks.

patpend

Member Sponsor
Jun 6, 2015
Arizona
Would it possible for you to expand on the improvements Electroharmonix tubes have made and also which tubes did you change? Many thanks.

Sure, be glad to. I first replaced the Sovtek 8550's with NOS SED 8550 "winged C" tubes. There's two of those-the SED's are harder to come by these days but there's a couple of sources left (I got mine from the tube store). Apparently as they discontinued production some of the remaining, lesser performing tubes were put on the market, so be careful, but the SED Winged C tubes are what ARC used to use before they started using the Sovtek tubes.

The EH tubes are the 6H30Pi gold tubes-also got those from tube store. You'd need 10 of those for the Ref 10. Both the EH and Sovtek 6H30s are built in the same factory, but i was told that the EH's are the "Lexus" version of the tubes vs. "Toyota"/Sovtek, and read somewhere in one of the audio forums about another Ref 10 owner that was very pleased with the upgrade. In terms of 6H30's those are really the only two choices-there are some arguably better NOS (as in 30 years old) tubes (e.g., 6H30P-DR Reflektor's), but you'd be spending several thousand dollars and to be honest IDK if you could locate 10 of those anymore from a single location. The EH tubes are a noticeable upgrade from the stock Sovtek's and very reasonable-something like $35 apiece. I had put on about 100 hours on the original tubes burning in the Ref 10 and noticed an immediate improvement in the EH tubes right out of the box in terms of the typical sonic qualities you'd associate with ARC products particularly more midrange warmth and quickness in the sound. :)

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Sure, be glad to. I first replaced the Sovtek 8550's with NOS SED 8550 "winged C" tubes. There's two of those-the SED's are harder to come by these days but there's a couple of sources left (I got mine from the tube store). Apparently as they discontinued production some of the remaining, lesser performing tubes were put on the market, so be careful, but the SED Winged C tubes are what ARC used to use before they started using the Sovtek tubes.

The EH tubes are the 6H30Pi gold tubes-also got those from tube store. You'd need 10 of those for the Ref 10. Both the EH and Sovtek 6H30s are built in the same factory, but i was told that the EH's are the "Lexus" version of the tubes vs. "Toyota"/Sovtek, and read somewhere in one of the audio forums about another Ref 10 owner that was very pleased with the upgrade. In terms of 6H30's those are really the only two choices-there are some arguably better NOS (as in 30 years old) tubes (e.g., 6H30P-DR Reflektor's), but you'd be spending several thousand dollars and to be honest IDK if you could locate 10 of those anymore from a single location. The EH tubes are a noticeable upgrade from the stock Sovtek's and very reasonable-something like $35 apiece. I had put on about 100 hours on the original tubes burning in the Ref 10 and noticed an immediate improvement in the EH tubes right out of the box in terms of the typical sonic qualities you'd associate with ARC products particularly more midrange warmth and quickness in the sound. :)

Fantastic! Many thanks for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback. Happy listening

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing