Best Isolation Systems for Amps

brianherlihy

Apr 21, 2010
New York
I am investigating isolation platforms for monoblocks. i am leaning towards SRA, but this is solely on research and other peoples comments as they need to custom size for your equipment. Can people comment on what they use, have used and specifically if they have experience with SRA's Ohio Class Isolation product - thanks

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
I have been and was extremely happy with my Adona Amps stands. More recently after I moved, I dismantled the amps stands and incorporated the cross bars and platforms into my Adona Rack Systems.

http://www.adonacorporation.com/av45as.html

It should be understood though that I additionally place my amps on the Herbies Isocups:

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/compfeet.htm

Rich

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I use Critical Mass Systems' Grand Master stands under my amplifiers and my racks are all PXK Black Platinum and QXK Black Platinum. :)

bwraudio

Jan 24, 2011
The way I isolate vibration from all equipment

I have a separate control room with a concrete floor. My large equipment cabinet is filled with sand between all shelves. Also a separate rack for power amplifiers, stands in this control room. This works out quite well for isolation of vibration. This control room is also very convenient for accessing the back of the equipment and cabling.

[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• IMG_0747..jpg
    IMG_0747..jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 3,074
  • Equipment cab..jpg
    Equipment cab..jpg
    501.5 KB · Views: 3,551

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am investigating isolation platforms for monoblocks. i am leaning towards SRA, but this is solely on research and other peoples comments as they need to custom size for your equipment. Can people comment on what they use, have used and specifically if they have experience with SRA's Ohio Class Isolation product - thanks

As always, performance will depend on the monoblocks ... Isolation platforms must isolate, transmit and damp vibrations. Each amplifier and system has different needs, depending on the amplifier and also on the environment.

I have a system with tubes and have settled on the Finite Element Pagode rack - there was really an appreciable sound difference between my system placed on old steel Target rack or a diy platform made by me using a mixture of sand , lead and pneumatics, and the sound (or absence of it) of the Pagode.

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
Hi Bruce,
I second the Wave Kinetics A10-U8's as well . Used quite a few expensive racks & isolation platforms through the years & I find these to work as good or better then most & at a fraction of the cost.
The speaker footers are fantastic too.

Gary

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Interesting! Has anyone compared Wave Kinetics to HRS nimbus couplers/damping plates?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Interesting! Has anyone compared Wave Kinetics to HRS nimbus couplers/damping plates?

Some of the best contributions for the understanding and application of the vibration control in electronics were made by Goldmund in the late 70's and 80's. Unhappily, as it was before electronic publication and internet, it is not accessible anymore with a mouse click, and some newcomers to the hobby will never know of it, as probably they did not read the hifi magazines articles about it at that time. I can not remember anymore with exactitude their arguments about the "mechanical grounding " , but your post just shows how dangerous is oversimplification - the thread tittle is isolation systems and you refer the words coupler and damping. Usually we only think about the passive behavior, but the active part is also part of the game!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Some of the best contributions for the understanding and application of the vibration control in electronics were made by Goldmund in the late 70's and 80's. Unhappily, as it was before electronic publication and internet, it is not accessible anymore with a mouse click, and some newcomers to the hobby will never know of it, as probably they did not read the hifi magazines articles about it at that time. I can not remember anymore with exactitude their arguments about the "mechanical grounding " , but your post just shows how dangerous is oversimplification - the thread tittle is isolation systems and you refer the words coupler and damping. Usually we only think about the passive behavior, but the active part is also part of the game!

Hi Microstrip,

i agree that there are many forms of isolation...i have personally witnessed the effect of properly grounding equipment electrically (Tripoint Spartan), etc... At the same time, my question was very specific for a reason. I own the HRS Nimbus Couplers and Dampers (those are the names of the products), and wish to see if anyone has compared them to Wave Kinetics A10-U8 and N2S. Surely that cannot be a "dangerous " question! ;)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi Microstrip,

i agree that there are many forms of isolation...i have personally witnessed the effect of properly grounding equipment electrically (Tripoint Spartan), etc... At the same time, my question was very specific for a reason. I own the HRS Nimbus Couplers and Dampers (those are the names of the products), and wish to see if anyone has compared them to Wave Kinetics A10-U8 and N2S. Surely that cannot be a "dangerous " question! ;)

Geez, didn’t you guys read the other WBF Smack Down thread about vibrations and equipment? The takeaway is that vibrations don’t really affect your gear and even if they do, you can’t hear it anyway. And your all a bunch of “A Audiophiles” which I missed the definition of and don’t know what it means.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
A Audiophiles are those like me that need to get in a 12 step program. As in,

Hi, I'm Jack. I'm A Audiophile.

Looks like I'll need a grammar coach as well. ;) ;) ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Geez, didn’t you guys read the other WBF Smack Down thread about vibrations and equipment? The takeaway is that vibrations don’t really affect your gear and even if they do, you can’t hear it anyway. And your all a bunch of “A Audiophiles” which I missed the definition of and don’t know what it means.

Hah!! anyone who thinks vibration does not matter has clearly never heard my system before using the EAT tube dampers and HRS materials! i literally used to be able to snap my fingers in the living room...and hear the snap come back thru my speakers! the microphony was ridiculous...but it stopped when i used an EAT tube damper. when i played loud orchestral, the metal casing used to ring slightly...that also stopped when i put the HRS dampers in place.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
A Audiophiles are those like me that need to get in a 12 step program. As in,

Hi, I'm Jack. I'm A Audiophile.

Looks like I'll need a grammar coach as well. ;) ;) ;)

:D

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Brian,

i have auditioned a system which used Ohio Class earlier this year. i did NOT remove equipment from the rack to A/B, as this audition was not about the isolation. What i can say is this...i have never, ever, ever heard a system so tomb quiet yet live. And have spoken at length with the guys who set it up...they like the SRA stuff a lot. To give you a sense as to the company the SRA were keeping, it was an all Tidal system (Sunray plus the 6' dual tower subs), Tidal reference 3-stack pre, Stahl-Tek digital, 3 pairs of Tidal monos, Argento SMREE cabling, and the Tripoint Spartan and the Tripoint ground unit as well. So a vaunted class of equipment. It was set up by Tidal themselves.

I guess my point is that Ohio is in a very good class, used by serious people, and the company gets a lot of respect from people in these pages. The only other isolation product i can think of that i have used which might be worth a comparison is HRS which was stunning when i used it. i have never A/B'd HRS v Ohio Class full-on racks, but have auditioned systems which were on HRS racks and personally do use some of the smaller HRS products at home...and remain amazed. (i had a rack custom built by a high-end custom cabinet maker who is also a serious audiophile.) my two cents and hope it is helpful...pls update us!

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Haahaahaahaa.....guess they don't affect optics either. Or laser alignment. Or what frequencies. Talk to someone who's life revolves around vibration technology like Kevin Tellekamp about the tap test and he'll laugh.

Well you know Mark, vibrations might not affect Technics receivers since they sound terrible already. If someone puts an amp on carpeted floor and then on tiptoes and can't hear the difference, then either they're deaf, have a crappy system or are lying.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes very obvious. Blind test passable obvious.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Haahaahaahaa.....guess they don't affect optics either. Or laser alignment. Or what frequencies. Talk to someone who's life revolves around vibration technology like Kevin Tellekamp about the tap test and he'll laugh.

Well you know Mark, vibrations might not affect Technics receivers since they sound terrible already. If someone puts an amp on carpeted floor and then on tiptoes and can't hear the difference, then either they're deaf, have a crappy system or are lying.

You know I was kidding right? There is a reason I have 100 lbs of lead shot poured into my VPI TNT stand.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
You know I was kidding right? There is a reason I have 100 lbs of lead shot poured into my VPI TNT stand.

Oh yes...my humor was not directed at you :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Mep,

The 100lbs of lead shot are not enough to get an Audiophile with capital A diploma. :)

According to some experts from the 90's we should mix something with lead to damp its self resonance. Although the study was carried with the intention of filling speaker stands, depending on the size of the granules there is an optimum proportion for the mix of sand and lead in speaker stands. They also referred we should not fill the speaker stands in full.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing