So What's Spinning on the Table Tonight?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Myles-I couldn't make it past the first two songs on side one. This LP is your worst digital nightmare. Cold, hard, bright, thin, and loud with no dynamics. If my stereo really sounded like that LP, I would throw it outside, dump gas on it, and start a bonfire.

Mark

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles-I couldn't make it past the first two songs on side one. This LP is your worst digital nightmare. Cold, hard, bright, thin, and loud with no dynamics. If my stereo really sounded like that LP, I would throw it outside, dump gas on it, and start a bonfire.

Mark

Or make an ashtray out it :)

Yeah you know, I just get it. Why the hell do these companies have to f...ing digitize the analog master tapes? To get rid of tape hiss? Who cares? To re-edit. Snore. To compress the dynamics like they do on all recordings today (See JA's crusade against this common practice.) Now there's an excellent reason. To add digital effects. Oh boy; oh joy.

Forget it and just give us the analog tape. That's the problem with todays engineers. They have to leave their pawprints on the recording; just let it be!!!

They did the same thing with the Stephen Stills Just Roll Tape though it doesn't sound like as bad a job.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Stephen Stills Just Roll Tape sounds like an analog masterpiece compared to the Stones LP. If they ever release an LP set of the Beatles that was made from the digital copies that were recently released, I won't be standing in line to buy a copy. I understand why engineers run digital through analog in order to warm the cool breeze, why anyone would run a good analog tape through the digits is beyond me. Kind of like amputating your leg in order to get rid of a mole.

Mark

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Stephen Stills Just Roll Tape sounds like an analog masterpiece compared to the Stones LP. If they ever release an LP set of the Beatles that was made from the digital copies that were recently released, I won't be standing in line to buy a copy. I understand why engineers run digital through analog in order to warm the cool breeze, why anyone would run a good analog tape through the digits is beyond me. Kind of like amputating your leg in order to get rid of a mole.

Mark

Now that's a classic Mark! I'll have to remember that one ;)

I agree about the Beatles although from what I've been led to believe, it will be better done. Problem is that the original Beatles mixes are dreadful sounding and unless they create new ones, don't know what to expect. Steve Hoffman gave a great talk about the making of the Beatles recordings this year at CES and played some CDRs of what the tapes could sound like. Shockingly good and wow...listening to the young Lennon and McCartney voices was special.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Jose Feliciano - Felicano

Jose Feliciano - &#.JPG

As was said of him many decades ago...He's a ten-finger wizard!

John

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Now that's a classic Mark! I'll have to remember that one ;)

Problem is that the original Beatles mixes are dreadful sounding and unless they create new ones, don't know what to expect.

Myles-Them thars is fighten words! Seriously, I would hardly call any of the Beatle LPs dreadful sounding (and I am talking about the EMI Parlaphone copies, not the Capitol LPs). Could the earlier stuff been recorded better? Sure, but they had to make do with a 4 track machine in the early days (when you think about it, it's a miracle that Sgt. Peppers sounds as good as it does since it was all recorded on a 4 track machine-Studer J-37 I believe). Everytime you punch in to a track you degrade the quality. Anyway, I love my BC-13 sets of the Beatles LPs. And since Magical Mystery Tour isn't part of that set, I have the best version known to man which is the German copy with the incredible bass guitar on Baby Your a Rich Man.

By the way, what cuts of the Beatles was Hoffman playing from his CDR and how did he make it??

Mark

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Speaking of the Beatles...any word on when the vinyl remasters will be released? And will they be available in Mono and Stereo? I have both CD boxsets and prefer the Mono remasters. Just sounds more "Beatlesque" to me. Like last years 09/09/09 date I'm thinking a 10/10/10 release date would be kinda cool. Gives me more time to save up as well, as these puppies ain't gonna be cheap in boxset form.

John

mep

Apr 20, 2010
If they would make another Box LP set from the original master tapes and not run them through any digital horse shit, I might be interested. I am sure however that they will use the digital versions they spent years mucking with to cut the LPs. I will stick with my BC-13 collections.

Mark

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Mark

Saw Fremer just posted on Facebook that it's a disaster:

The reissue of "Exile on Main Street" is poor: compressed and frequency extreme limited....great for iPods I'm sure..review at www.musicangle.com

Mikey added:

The vinyl was cut from 44.1K/24 bit masters so theoretically better than the CDs but they're essentially the same files in terms of compression and EQ. My wife heard the Stones playing and without knowing the source, walked into the room and said "What happened to the bass?" That's how bad it is....

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com

Tierney Sutton - On the Other Side

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
David Bowie - You&#.JPG

One of my fave David Bowie Lp's:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Mark

Mark,

This is a post from Atkinson on Fremer's FB page vis a vis Exile on Main Street. Sure someone will tear it apart but it supports what many are hearing on the reissue.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B0039TD7RC/ref=cm_cmu_pg_setImg/180-1022974-5165918?ie=UTF8&totalImages=6&pageSize=7&sort=rating&currentImagePage=0&currentImagePageOffset=5&currentImageID=mo3OPY9JFDSXWR6&action=setImg&page=0

Not sure why someone would post this on Amazon though?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
MFSL Original Master Recording of The Beatles - Revolver

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing