So What's Spinning on the Table Tonight?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Going to listen to some 45 rpm ORG reissues to warm up the system and then move over to the tape realm and do comparisons of two King/Cello tape preamplifier, one with Mundorf Au/Ag Oil caps and the other with the stock (I think Sidereal caps). Ought to be fun and interesting.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Yesterday I went to the local record store and bought some LPs-all new. Steely Dan Gaucho reissue, Jimi Hendrix reissue, and two Neal Young reissues. I found the Hendrix to be outstanding, the Steely Dan I am not so sure that the original version doesn't sound better than the reissue (not unusual by the way). I only listented to one of the Neal Young LPs last night-Everybody know this is Nowhere. I was disappointed with Cinnamon Girl. I am jiust happy to have "new" music on LP. Total cost was a little over $80 for 4 LPs. We all know a place where you can buy tapes of one album for $500 each. I know the difference in sound between the two and which represents the outstanding value in comparision to the other.

Mark

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
OK how many bought LPs on Record Store day????

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yesterday I went to the local record store and bought some LPs-all new. Steely Dan Gaucho reissue, Jimi Hendrix reissue, and two Neal Young reissues. I found the Hendrix to be outstanding, the Steely Dan I am not so sure that the original version doesn't sound better than the reissue (not unusual by the way). I only listented to one of the Neal Young LPs last night-Everybody know this is Nowhere. I was disappointed with Cinnamon Girl. I am jiust happy to have "new" music on LP. Total cost was a little over $80 for 4 LPs. We all know a place where you can buy tapes of one album for $500 each. I know the difference in sound between the two and which represents the outstanding value in comparision to the other.

Mark

Too bad 'bout the Neil Young. Cinnamon Girl brings back a lot of good memories!

And I agree about many reissues. But....they keep analog alive. I'd have to say that the newest Steve Hoffman/Kevin Gray stuff is really amazing.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
For me, the jury is still out on the tandem of Steve Hoffman/Kevin Gray. I have a few of their reissues and it is sort of a mixed bag for me. The CCR stuff they did for Acoustic Sounds is one of the LPs I don't care for. Willie and Poor Boys was not a great reissue despite the hype. I have a Canadian copy of that LP and on the song "Down on the Corner" there are cymbals that just sound great. When you play the Acoustic Sounds version, the highs are wiped. Maybe the master tape is hosed now-who knows. Again, my point about all reissues not necessarily being better than the original pressings is true.

Mark

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
For me, the jury is still out on the tandem of Steve Hoffman/Kevin Gray. I have a few of their reissues and it is sort of a mixed bag for me. The CCR stuff they did for Acoustic Sounds is one of the LPs I don't care for. Willie and Poor Boys was not a great reissue despite the hype. I have a Canadian copy of that LP and on the song "Down on the Corner" there are cymbals that just sound great. When you play the Acoustic Sounds version, the highs are wiped. Maybe the master tape is hosed now-who knows. Again, my point about all reissues not necessarily being better than the original pressings is true.

Mark

I guess I was referring to the 45 rpm jazz reissue series. The CCR are OK-but I don't think the originals are anything to write home about. Kinda like the Cisco reissue of The Guess Who. Terrible sonics but I doubt the original would make anybodys Reference list :( I also reckon was referring to some recent AS reissues that weren't cut by Steve and Kevin that are sadly lacking compared to the originals. Did my best to get them to sound better, esp. VTA, but all effort was futile.

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
Last session was on Sunday...I listened to the first album from Tracy Chapman,"The hissing of the summer lawns" from Joni Mitchell,"The beauty of Wynona" from Daniel Lanois,and the "Whites off earth now"
by the Coboy Junkies.The rest was in digital...

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
Kach22i ,do you have the "Bette noir" from Bryan Ferry's solo projects?I think it's great!

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Kach22i ,do you have the "Bette noir" from Bryan Ferry's solo projects?I think it's great!
Yes, looks like I picked it up locally for under $4.00 within the past five or so years, in near mint condition too.

Virgin/Nymph/BMI, 1987

Pulled it out, so now I have to play it tonight.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Good to read you're a vinyl guy. The Snap Crackle and Pop comment in the "black background" discussion had me wondering if you were a digital only guy.
Snap, crackle and Pop are out numbered by the..........

1. Steam cleaner

2. Record cleaning machine

3. Zerostat gun

4. Tubes in the playback chain

5. Alcohol (in me, not on the records)

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Maynard Ferguson "Primal Scream", highly recommended, had if for a while but just listened to it today. Great sonics from Columbia pressing. BL33953. Record is near mint, but the cover looks like it has been trampled by cattle. Another 25 cent-er courtesy of Goodwill.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up (Cisco 180-g). Picked this up only recently, but it's fast becoming a fave. Super quiet, wonderful three-dimentionality, clear as a bell, just plain beautiful!

John

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Nick Drake - Pink Moon

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
1. Antill corroboree OASD 7603
2. Boiling point. toshiba Pro -use
3. This one's for blanton, Duke Ellington and Ray Brown, Pablo records

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
Ahhh,Nick Drake...it's so cozy here!Just happens that i am listening to sacd collection at the moment.
Great man...lost so soon!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Did some listening this PM to a couple of albums that wandered in the door :)

Compared the MFSL Mulligan Meets Webster to the newly remastered ORG version by Bernie Grundman.

Then listened to the new remastering of Stephen Stills Just Roll Tape. Wow...what a time warp and hearing the genesis of songs that were to soon to become the trademark of CSN&Y.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I just came home with the newly remasterd Stones LP, Exile on Main Street. That will be spinning tonight.

Mark

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hey Mark, Sounds great...can't wait to hear your thoughts on the reissue.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing