How I Fixed the iPhone's Meh Sound Quality

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Just thought I would share some tips I've learned on portable audio. First, I am a business strategy consultant and travel a fair bit so I like to travel light. I've done the iPod Classic and ALO Audio headphone amp thing (RX II Tactical Edition) but for short hops the convenience of the iPhone is awesome. The problem is that the sound quality is terrible as delivered imho. As I get more used to my iPhone 4 I have wanted to fix this. So here are three steps for better sound quality.

1. Invest in some great headphones - Grado RS-1i. I really love these. They capture string instruments better than most I have tried and I have tried most. I also have some iMetal 590s which I use for IEMs but I'm an over the ear guy.

2. Download one of two apps: EQu and Denon Music Player. The latter is free and I think sounds a tad better but it's a bit of a complete copy of EQu. There is a problem with the Denon as it does not play on iOS 6 but I've decided not to upgrade (also due to the map issue) for now.

3. Go to the equalizer section and boost slightly the midrange and start rolling down at around 6K. if you want to hear how hollow the native iPhone is, try the "FLAT" setting. It truly sucks.

The alternative to this is to use the iPhone as a music server and add the wonderful Cypher Labs DAC and an ALO/Fiio amp. But this creates a small brick which may also give the TSA fits.

Anyway, that seems to provide great sound quality to me. I also suspect that the Denon player is bypassing some junk in the playback chain but I'm just speculating there.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
One more thing I should mention.

4. The Cardas Enhancer app really works well. It's basically the iPhone version of the Cardas IBE frquency sweep disc.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
When I used to travel quite a bit I used my Sony PCM-M10 digital recorder. It actually houses all my recorded music and took the place of my reel to reel almost immediately when I got it. It does not down covert the 96/24 to lower resolution for playback (line out or heaphone) and all my reocording (analog) is in 96/24. It has plenty of power to drive my sennhaizer headphones to sane listening levels.

It packs light (the size of a pack of cigs) and the batteries last for at least 9 hours playing into headphones, longer if you dont have long sessions.

That's pretty cool Tom. Hirez on the go would be great. I think some of the Cowon and Sansa players do that as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing