What's the one pressing you want?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
daytona, do you own any of the original Vertigo label Black Sabbath LP's? These are getting some BIG prices these days and are highly collectable.

Last edited:

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
yes bought them as a kid But played to death on a very cheap music centre
In a very sorry state

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Original UK pressings of all the Stones LP's up to Emotional Rescue. If I had to pick one or two - Sticky Fingers and/or Exile on Main St

Original UK pressing of every beatles LP. If I had to pick one or two - Rubber Sould and White Album.

Anyone want to sell them to me cheap :D

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Original UK pressings of all the Stones LP's up to Emotional Rescue. If I had to pick one or two - Sticky Fingers and/or Exile on Main St

The original Decca pressings of the Stones' LPs are revelatory...not audiophile by any means, but truly like hearing the music for the first time. Go for the unboxed Deccas (monos up to and including "Satanic Majesties") and UK the original (COC 59100) pressings of Sticky Fingers. The original US pressing of "Exile" sounds best to me, but still isn't anything special.

IMO, "Emotional Rescue" is the Stones' best recorded LP for sonics...material is not their best, but better than its' reputation.

Keith Richards' first solo LP "Main Offender" is also a very good LP sonically and musically and can be had for cheap on Ebay.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Daytona600 - Anything by The Cranberries on vinyl is impossible to find here. Do have any good sources?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
An original Harvest pressing of DSOTM.

That'll have to wait 'til the prices become more reasonable or one falls into my lap.

Just bought a 2nd press UK Harvest (3A-3B) of this today, which I believe is one of the holy grail DSOTM pressings. I am told the first pressing had some issues and that the sound quality was improved with the second pressing. Whatever the case I'm pretty happy to have acquired this and look forward to receiving it next week!

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Just bought a 2nd press UK Harvest (3A-3B) of this today, which I believe is one of the holy grail DSOTM pressings. I am told the first pressing had some issues and that the sound quality was improved with the second pressing. Whatever the case I'm pretty happy to have acquired this and look forward to receiving it next week!
That pressing is GREAT! I've never heard the first with the blue triangle, which i think was a 2A/2B, but have a 3A/2B and liked the A side better. So I tracked down a couple copies of 3A/3B and they are both terrific. (Have many others but the latter are my 'go to' for this record among what I own). Drum roll on my wish list:
1. Dead quiet RL/SS/narrow side 2 deadwax of LZII (got a good copy, but it is still noisy).
Are we limited to one record? :) (I'm greedy).

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012

Original UK pressing of every beatles LP. If I had to pick one or two - Rubber Sould and White Album.

Anyone want to sell them to me cheap :D

You are fighting serious collectors. Buy the earliest series Blue Box in the best condition possible and you'll be in good shape, sonically and financially. And thank MEP here, who has been a strong advocate of the Blue Box. When EMI reissued the set on vinyl last year, I bought one of the records, thought it sounded sterile, and that pushed me to Blue Box-land. Never considered myself enough of a Beatles fanatic, much as I enjoy them, to struggle to find the so-called 'tube cut' ones in minty condition. My Blue Box, which came from the first series (you can research the indicia for this), was basically unplayed. Not dirt cheap, but not like trying to buy the first or earliest pressings in great playable condition. And thank MEP. :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
You are fighting serious collectors. Buy the earliest series Blue Box in the best condition possible and you'll be in good shape, sonically and financially. And thank MEP here, who has been a strong advocate of the Blue Box. When EMI reissued the set on vinyl last year, I bought one of the records, thought it sounded sterile, and that pushed me to Blue Box-land. Never considered myself enough of a Beatles fanatic, much as I enjoy them, to struggle to find the so-called 'tube cut' ones in minty condition. My Blue Box, which came from the first series (you can research the indicia for this), was basically unplayed. Not dirt cheap, but not like trying to buy the first or earliest pressings in great playable condition. And thank MEP. :)

I was a bit worried as I don't know enough about the various DSOTM pressings, so your post comes as a pleasant relief! :D I think I did good! Now comes the waiting part!

I guess two of my wishlist items would be a UK Crime of the Century and UK I Robot. I'm still interested in acquiring a Japanese I Robot as well. I can get it, but I haven't heard any comments about that pressing, so I'm holding off for now. Some of my Beatles stuff needs replacing as they've become noisy over the years...mostly due to not having a proper TT in the very early days. I'm in no hurry however, although I'm a pretty big fan.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I am pleased to report that I found an exceptionally clean RL Led Zep II, (RL/SS on both sides, narrow side 2 deadwax). My other copy was noisy, this one is really pristine. Man, this thing is just so powerful. I'd still be interested in hearing from Christian whether his Classic 45 betters the RL.
And as I may have mentioned elsewhere, I picked up the Classic 45 Aqualung- but not just the Clarity box with 4 discs. This was some sort of comparison set- 4 Clarity and 4 black, all cut at 45 rpm. I know Classic did one record of Aqualung this way with 1 Clarity/1 black (about 1/4th of the total album) as a sampler to send to reviewers, but saw nothing about the complete album having been made available this way. It's kind of cool, I haven't listened to the black ones, but the Clarity ones are very, very good, and noise free (one of the complaints, I gather, about these pressings). I haven't directly compared it to my WLP of Aqualung, which has been my recent 'go to' pressing. That one has some punch. I realize I have bought an endless number of different pressings of this record precisely because none of them are great- it is a compromised recording- the best sounding one of the bunch, among the early ones, for me, anyway, has been the early pink label of 'Stand Up.' The UK first press of Benefit (and I have the US first also simply to get the different tracks) is very compressed sounding. I ordered the digitally mastered Benefit done by Steve Wilson- not terribly expensive, available through Amazon UK- because I've been told it sounds better than the UK first pressing. We will see.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I am pleased to report that I found an exceptionally clean RL Led Zep II, (RL/SS on both sides, narrow side 2 deadwax). My other copy was noisy, this one is really pristine. Man, this thing is just so powerful. I'd still be interested in hearing from Christian whether his Classic 45 betters the RL.
And as I may have mentioned elsewhere, I picked up the Classic 45 Aqualung- but not just the Clarity box with 4 discs. This was some sort of comparison set- 4 Clarity and 4 black, all cut at 45 rpm. I know Classic did one record of Aqualung this way with 1 Clarity/1 black (about 1/4th of the total album) as a sampler to send to reviewers, but saw nothing about the complete album having been made available this way. It's kind of cool, I haven't listened to the black ones, but the Clarity ones are very, very good, and noise free (one of the complaints, I gather, about these pressings). I haven't directly compared it to my WLP of Aqualung, which has been my recent 'go to' pressing. That one has some punch. I realize I have bought an endless number of different pressings of this record precisely because none of them are great- it is a compromised recording- the best sounding one of the bunch, among the early ones, for me, anyway, has been the early pink label of 'Stand Up.' The UK first press of Benefit (and I have the US first also simply to get the different tracks) is very compressed sounding. I ordered the digitally mastered Benefit done by Steve Wilson- not terribly expensive, available through Amazon UK- because I've been told it sounds better than the UK first pressing. We will see.

Major congrats on the Zep II !:D. And encouraging to hear that good copies are still around. I've always been hesitant about pursuing this pressing as they aren't cheap and I'd be really bummed out if the seller rated the vinyl too aggressively.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
I ordered the digitally mastered Benefit done by Steve Wilson- not terribly expensive, available through Amazon UK- because I've been told it sounds better than the UK first pressing. We will see.

Steven Wilson does not master albums. This is a completely new mix he created from the original multi-tracks. Its going to sound quite different.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Steven Wilson does not master albums. This is a completely new mix he created from the original multi-tracks. Its going to sound quite different.

Sorry, I collapsed the mastering with the 'Steve Wilson did' part. I gather that it sounds different, I haven't heard it yet. I was curious how it compared to the UK Chrysalis little "i" pressing- one person on Hoffman said it is far less compressed sounding, but acknowledged that the different mix may or may not be to one's liking. I'll wait to hear it. But on the subject of mastering, who did the remaster of this? I gather then Aqualung vinyl of this 're-do' is only available as part of a set with DVD, etc. and not available separately. Do you know if that is going to be released as a separate product? (I'm not interested in buying the set just to get the record). Thanks for the clarification, btw.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
I sell Benefit but to be honest I haven't had a chance to crack open a copy for myself so I don't know who did the mastering. If I had to guess I would say Neil Wilkes who has been involved with all of the Steven Wilson remixes for King Crimson and just did Yes "Close to The Edge" and XTC "Nonsuch". I don't believe that Wilkes does any actually mastering. I think he simply does flat transfers of Wilson's new mixes.

All of these remix projects are controversial and if you follow the Hoffman forum or one of the prog rock forums like progressiveears.org you can give yourself a migraine. Personally I think he does a great job - some better than others. I thought his new versions of King Crimson "Lizard" and Yes "Close To The Edge" to be revelatory. Completely transformative (in a positive way) from the original mix. On the other hand...if you are a purist that puts the original mix on a pedestal you won't be so impressed.

I don't believe the vinyl is available separately - just in the box set.

Ken

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Sorry, I collapsed the mastering with the 'Steve Wilson did' part. I gather that it sounds different, I haven't heard it yet. I was curious how it compared to the UK Chrysalis little "i" pressing- one person on Hoffman said it is far less compressed sounding, but acknowledged that the different mix may or may not be to one's liking. I'll wait to hear it. But on the subject of mastering, who did the remaster of this? I gather then Aqualung vinyl of this 're-do' is only available as part of a set with DVD, etc. and not available separately. Do you know if that is going to be released as a separate product? (I'm not interested in buying the set just to get the record). Thanks for the clarification, btw.

Let me chime in here if I may concerning the CD/DVD package. I gave the entire box a listen yesterday. I read the extensive liner notes cover to cover.

Denis Blackham "prepared" CD 1, and mastered CD 2.

The new 2013 mixes were done to 24/96. There are approximately a dozen "related recordings" from the period on disc 1 and 2.

The DVD has both the 2013 mixes in 96/24, AND the FLAT transfer of the original LP master, a merge of the US and UK editions, since they had slightly
different track listings. I ripped all the tracks in native 96/24 to my server.

Wilson stresses he wanted to preserve the sound of "1969/1970" and not rewrite history.

The sound is excellent. Plenty of punch, and a very judicious use of compression. For me, this is a smashing success and why
physical media will continue to be released.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I sell Benefit but to be honest I haven't had a chance to crack open a copy for myself so I don't know who did the mastering. If I had to guess I would say Neil Wilkes who has been involved with all of the Steven Wilson remixes for King Crimson and just did Yes "Close to The Edge" and XTC "Nonsuch". I don't believe that Wilkes does any actually mastering. I think he simply does flat transfers of Wilson's new mixes.

All of these remix projects are controversial and if you follow the Hoffman forum or one of the prog rock forums like progressiveears.org you can give yourself a migraine. Personally I think he does a great job - some better than others. I thought his new versions of King Crimson "Lizard" and Yes "Close To The Edge" to be revelatory. Completely transformative (in a positive way) from the original mix. On the other hand...if you are a purist that puts the original mix on a pedestal you won't be so impressed.

I don't believe the vinyl is available separately - just in the box set.

Ken

Ken: thank you.
I have a copy of the "Fripp approved" In the Court vinyl and it really isn't bad at all compared to a very early UK pink label. The latter is of course warmer sounding, but that's true even compared to a later pressing on a pink rim. I'm all for reviving some of the vinyl that has become unobtanium, and in the case of some of the early Tull, where the I think the recordings themselves may be lackluster- Aqualung- it's almost a question of which shade of 'color' you prefer, e.g. MoFi, DCC, Classic Records, etc.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Let me chime in here if I may. I gave the entire box a listen yesterday. I read the extensive liner notes cover to cover.

Denis Blackham "prepared" CD 1, and mastered CD 2.

The new 2013 mixes were done to 24/96. There are approximately a dozen "related recordings" from the period on disc 1 and 2.

The DVD has both the 2013 mixes in 96/24, AND the FLAT transfer of the original LP master, a merge of the US and UK editions, since they had slightly
different track listings. I ripped all the tracks in native 96/24 to my server.

Wilson stresses he wanted to preserve the sound of "1969/1970" and not rewrite history.

The sound is excellent. Plenty of punch, and a very judicious use of compression. For me, this is a smashing success and why
physical media will continue to be released.
Andre- strictly speaking vinyl for the moment, re Benefit, neither the first UK pressing nor the first US pressing are sonic masterpieces, much as I love the albums. As mentioned, I was informed that, despite the use of a digital 'master' for Benefit, the Steve Wilson version (which Ken corrected me by pointing out that it was mixed by Wilson) sounds less compressed. I think the best 'sounding' of the original pressings of early Tull, at least to my ears, is an early pink label of Stand Up. Benefit sounds muted, and Aqualung is all over the place, at least on the numerous different copies and pressings I own. When the Wilson 'Benefit' arrives, i will let you all know what I think, compared to the other pressings I have.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre- strictly speaking vinyl for the moment, re Benefit, neither the first UK pressing nor the first US pressing are sonic masterpieces, much as I love the albums. As mentioned, I was informed that, despite the use of a digital 'master' for Benefit, the Steve Wilson version (which Ken corrected me by pointing out that it was mixed by Wilson) sounds less compressed. I think the best 'sounding' of the original pressings of early Tull, at least to my ears, is an early pink label of Stand Up. Benefit sounds muted, and Aqualung is all over the place, at least on the numerous different copies and pressings I own. When the Wilson 'Benefit' arrives, i will let you all know what I think, compared to the other pressings I have.
In my opinion..the biggest problem with most recordings done in that period is the generational loss when the multi-tracks are bounced to stereo for the final mix.

Here, a entire layer of murk is removed and there is pretty shocking definition to Ian Anderson's voice, the bass, and guitar parts.

As Ken says, remixing has been somewhat controversial over the years, but there have been some great ones done..the Grateful Dead
American Beauty and Workingman's Dead come to mind as well as the Wilson King Crimson stuff.

Looking forward to your impressions!

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Ken: thank you.
I have a copy of the "Fripp approved" In the Court vinyl and it really isn't bad at all compared to a very early UK pink label. The latter is of course warmer sounding, but that's true even compared to a later pressing on a pink rim. I'm all for reviving some of the vinyl that has become unobtanium, and in the case of some of the early Tull, where the I think the recordings themselves may be lackluster- Aqualung- it's almost a question of which shade of 'color' you prefer, e.g. MoFi, DCC, Classic Records, etc.

In 1992, I was at a flea market in Covent Garden. There was a dealer with all early pink and palm tree Crimson albums. I picked them up for next to nothing. The real treasure from that trip came at a record fair in Camden Town. Peeking into one dealer's Emerson Lake & Palmer section, I stumbled across a test pressing of the first ELP album. No cover, white labels with ILPS 9132 scribbled in black marker.

Back in ancient times, when there were real record stores, you could wander through any used shop in London and first early pressings dirt cheap. A trip to Record & Tape Exchange would uncover a goldmine. No one ascribed any more value to a pink rim Island King Crimson vs a later Polydor. Vertigo swirls were getting attention but relatively speaking they were cheap as chips.

WHERE IS MY WAY BACK MACHINE???!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing