What's the one pressing you want?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
This question is open to any format!

I have many great records. My collection is about 3,000 strong, but they mostly consist of CAN/US pressings and a decent portion (about 150 audiophile type ones) of some favourites and recommended buys. I've bought several various pressings of some faves, but some elude me and I'd love one day to rectify that. The one I would love more than anything else is

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells - Original UK pressing.

Are there any in your collection that you would like to acquire?

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
Eagles: Hotel California on SACD by Analogue Productions or Mobile Fidelity.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
This question is open to any format!

I have many great records. My collection is about 3,000 strong, but they mostly consist of CAN/US pressings and a decent portion (about 150 audiophile type ones) of some favourites and recommended buys. I've bought several various pressings of some faves, but some elude me and I'd love one day to rectify that. The one I would love more than anything else is

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells - Original UK pressing.

Are there any in your collection that you would like to acquire?

Great question, John. So many it's very hard to pin down just one. A great Beatles Butcher first state would be nice..:D or, a nice Living Presence Hi Fi a la espanola or....oh no, I'm getting carried way:rolleyes:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Eagles: Hotel California on SACD by Analogue Productions or Mobile Fidelity.

I have seen the Eagles at least 10 times going back to their Hotel California tour in the late 70's. I own literally every pressing of that album. Trust me when I say that the best pressing used to be the XRCD Japanese Import however hands down IMO the best pressing is the K2HD

http://ohmytracks.com/#/music/Eagles+-+K2HD

This

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
There was a vinyl version on a Progressive Band/album called The Pentateuch - it had one of the best inside booklets I have seen that carried me away while listening the record, lost it somewhere and never seen it back :(

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Great question, John. So many it's very hard to pin down just one. A great Beatles Butcher first state would be nice..:D or, a nice Living Presence Hi Fi a la espanola or....oh no, I'm getting carried way:rolleyes:

Haha....yep....you're getting carried away!:p But hey......we all do. Great music has that effect. Another one for me would be the first pressing of "Time Out". This is a sentimental choice, but nonethess I'd love to have it.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
There was a vinyl version on a Progressive Band/album called The Pentateuch - it had one of the best inside booklets I have seen that carried me away while listening the record, lost it somewhere and never seen it back :(

That sucks and I know how you feel. I have the original pressing of a Quebecquois band called Fiori-Seguin "Deux Cents Nuits a l'Heure", but after hundreds of plays it started skipping. Found a replacement, but it was noisy, so I'm still on the hunt for a replacement.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
An original Harvest pressing of DSOTM.

That'll have to wait 'til the prices become more reasonable or one falls into my lap.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
I have seen the Eagles at least 10 times going back to their Hotel California tour in the late 70's. I own literally every pressing of that album. Trust me when I say that the best pressing used to be the XRCD Japanese Import however hands down IMO the best pressing is the K2HD

http://ohmytracks.com/#/music/Eagles+-+K2HD

This

Thanks Steve. I was unaware of this type of CD mastering process although I have heard a few JVC XRCD's that sounded very good. Although it's an interesting concept, the final product is still a RBCD and it's still hard to believe would be as good as a very well mastered SACD from the same source. Still I'm tempted to buy the K2HD since there's currently no SACD available to my knowledge.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com

This was a solo album from Dave Greenslade. As I recall Phil Collins plays on it. Elaborate artwork from Patrick Woodruffe. Music was kind of blah but then again I was never a huge Greenslade fan.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thanks Steve. I was unaware of this type of CD mastering process although I have heard a few JVC XRCD's that sounded very good. Although it's an interesting concept, the final product is still a RBCD and it's still hard to believe would be as good as a very well mastered SACD from the same source. Still I'm tempted to buy the K2HD since there's currently no SACD available to my knowledge.

here you go on the XRCD Len

http://www.elusivedisc.com/THE-EAGLES-HOTEL-CALIFORNIA-JAPANESE-IMPORT-CD/productinfo/WBCDI1936/

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

That'll have to wait 'til the prices become more reasonable or one falls into my lap.

That and an copy of Supertramp - Crisis? What Crisis?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Hank Mobley "The Sextet" Blue Note 1568 (No 'R', deep groove, original mono, with 'RVG' & 'P')

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway

Vinyl or CD? I have the CD, and it's worth looking for. Someone told me the best vinyl pressing is the Swedish first generation one, made from the UK stampers. But that's hearsay!

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Vinyl or CD? I have the CD, and it's worth looking for. Someone told me the best vinyl pressing is the Swedish first generation one, made from the UK stampers. But that's hearsay!

Need you ask? :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
So how much would you think an original U.K. first pressing of Tubular Bells would go for? I've never tried sourcing one out, but now it's on my brain! LOL!

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
This is another RBCD I'd very much like to see offered as an SACD:
Mahler: Symphony No. 2
Deutsche Grammophon 423 395-2 (1988/DDD)
New York Philharmonic/Avery Fisher Hall, New York, NY/April 1987
Leonard Bernstein (conductor)
Barbara Hindricks (soprano)
Christa Ludwig (alto)
The Westminster Choir

I can't find much information as to the recording of this performance other than it's a live recording using a digital tape recorder. NPR Performance Today considers it a PT-50 recording which I assume means it's in their top 50 classical of all time. Considering the recording is a vintage 1988 RBCD it sounds very good sonically on my audio system.

I have two other Mahler: Symphony No. 2 recordings - both SACD:
San Francisco Symphony/Davies Symphony Hall June 23-26, 2004
Michael Tilson Thomas (conductor)
Isabel Bayrakdarian (soprano)
Lorraine Hunt Licherson (mezzo-soprano)
Vance George (chrous director)
San Franscisco Chrous

AND

Budapest Festival Orchestra/Palace of the Arts, Budapest/September 2003
Ivan Fischer (conductor)
Lisa Milne (soprano)
Birgit Remmert (alto)
Hungarian Radio Choir

I prefer the New York Philharmonic/Leonard Bernstein RBCD. It may not possess the level of dynamic contrasts of the SACD's, but IMO it's the most emotionally charged with great dynamic range. If the original master is full range I'd love to have the SACD version.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Do not know john about pressing quality lived in the UK all my life , so 99% of my vinyl is UK pressed
Only have small amount of MFSL & Japanese pressings . Album orginally recorded in uk with virgin
Assume all masters pressed in the UK , we do/did have a great reputation for pressing vinyl
Know decca/emi classical are highly sought after by record collectors around the world

My uncle is in his 80s now , collectied 100% UK classical for 60years
he has about 10,000 + 1st pressings of all the classics

( No they are not for sale ) , I,ve asked dozens of times. Passing on to his grandkids as a investment
I will be getting his turntable EMT950 with 997 arm ex BBC british broadcasting company version
Will recieve a full service , and will keep forever

last time i played the mike oldfield Lp , many moons ago sounded very good
this sold by the truckload in the 70s in britain

If i can ever help on any uk music/bands in the uk let me know , collecting for over three decades now, Still buy 3-5 Lps per week
not that great on classical/jazz but everything else

NB - we do have the BEST music as well in the UK ( that comment should start a fight !! )

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing