Marantz High-End Audiophile Test Demo Disc - SACD

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
What an amazingly satisfying disc. Everything from the artist/song selections to the quality of the disc mastering is A-Plus. I have a few other test discs, but this one just blows me away.
Marantz Test Demo SACD.jpg

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
marantz had these produced by sts in holland
see www.sts-digital.nl
or sold via bulemdorf the german horn people
bought a few in the uk , normal cd versions but they do sound good and decent music , not your usual audiophile plinky plonky stuff but real music

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
marantz had these produced by sts in holland
see www.sts-digital.nl
or sold via bulemdorf the german horn people
bought a few in the uk , normal cd versions but they do sound good and decent music , not your usual audiophile plinky plonky stuff but real music

I was looking at that STS site a few days ago and thought about ordering some more. I may still, as I'm quite impressed!

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
they do sound superb john , real music yello , stevie ray vaughan , rammstein , grace jones
with couple of sheffield drum

pentatonic

Feb 14, 2013
Montreal, Qc
What an amazingly satisfying disc. Everything from the artist/song selections to the quality of the disc mastering is A-Plus. I have a few other test discs, but this one just blows me away.
View attachment 5803

I so agree with you John ;). It gets played here on a regular basis. Favorite track is no contest for me: Boz Scaggs - Thanks you. This disc proves how amazing digital can be when well done by real pros. :cool:

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
I so agree with you John ;). It gets played here on a regular basis. Favorite track is no contest for me: Boz Scaggs - Thanks you. This disc proves how amazing digital can be when well done by real pros. :cool:

dealer in audiophile music , have the complete series in stock Std digital cd/sacd/lp can post worldwide all brand new and sealed

Shostakovich USC Symphony No 7
Shostakovich Preludes and Fuges
Sound Design 4 Lils
Sound Design 5
Dynamic Experience Vol 1
Dynamic Experience Vol 2
Big Band Treasures
Incredible music and recordings vol 1
Incredible music and recordings vol 2
Incredible music and recordings vol 3
Groove into Bits vol 1
Music in the orginal Marantz age
Ingram Wshington - Sweet and Low

Kharma Test & Calibration CD
Circle Percussion

Test Demo 7th edition
Test Demo 9th edition
Test Demo 12th edition
Test Demo 13th edition
Test Demo 14th edition
Test Demo 15th edition
Acoustic Reference Crystal Cable

Signature STS Digital
George Carlo - Digipack exclusive
Shyla Zoet - Digipack exclusive
Frames Lanco

VINYL 180gram LPs with MV coding
---------------------------------------
Music in the Orginal Marantz age
Ingram Washington - Sweet and Low
Test Demo 15th edition

So when Ken Kessler says: 'do whatever you can to get a copy' of Groove into Bits Vol. 1, you know its going to be something very, very special. This Various Artists CD, produced at the STS Digital studios, from vinyl recordings, using their unique recording processes, is surely a CD everyone should have in their collection.
Very large selection of UK vinyl new , re-issue & pre-orders , far to many to list

eg 1st pressing , sealed roger waters
amused to death 2xLp DMM

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
I have the sts audiophile sacd's with Carmen Gomes,good recordings,but the 2 recordings she has done for the high end label Sound Liaison absolutely blows me away.It is a whole different league than the older Sts recordings.
These are WAV downloads 24/96 and claimed to be''true studio Masters''
Highly recommended.
here is Rad Bennett's review from SoundStage!and the link to the site; www.soundliaison.com

SSS1.jpg
I've been among the prophets saying that high-resolution downloads are the future of audiophile music sales. Surely it will benefit the majors to make high-quality downloads a first choice rather than an MP3 extra, but I believe that individual artists can benefit as well. Most new-to-the-scene performers have little money for middlemen and disc manufacture, yet can get things together for the Internet.

Frans de Rond and Peter Bjørnild have taken this approach with Sound Liaison, producing recordings available only in 24-bit/96kHz downloads that mirror the master recording. And man, are they ever sweet. I've seldom heard recordings that were so successful in both performance and sound aspects.

De Rond hails from the Netherlands, where he studied double bass at The Royal Conservatory in The Hague while concurrently studying recording techniques. Bjørnild also studied double bass, moving to the Netherlands to continue studies at The Hague. Since graduating, he has played almost every type of music, from classical to jazz. Together de Rond and Bjørnild bring two pairs of golden ears to their label. Bjørnild claims that, "a recording should be as realistic and beautiful sounding as possible. As if, when closing your eyes, you find yourself in the best seat in the hall."

The partners discovered a fine recording hall (Studio-Eleven, Hilversum) and set out to record amazing musicians in this great acoustic place in front of live audiences. It's a daring feat; one take and no place to hide, but the abilities of the musicians involved make it seem easy. I chose to talk about the first album by Carmen Gomes Inc. It was a tough choice because all of the three current albums were worthy of review.

Carmen Gomes has won many awards in the Netherlands and surrounding areas. Like so many new European singers, she sings in English -- excellent English, I might add. She's formed a group called Carmen Gomes Inc., with Folker Tettero on guitar, Peter Bjørnild on double bass, and Marcel van Engelen on drums. Her style is bluesy and intimate with a sexy voice that's sweet as dark tupelo honey, and her interpretations are unerring. The musicians play to her and to each other, and the ensemble is so tight that the four musicians breathe and move as one.

There are some standards on the set that knocked me over with their fresh approach. Any singer can misplace a few accents and rhythms and come up with something that's original, but perhaps also uneasy and a little strange. Not Gomes, who has taken the songs to their bones and then restructured them to suit her style. Thus "Fever" doesn't sound like a cover of Peggy Lee; it sounds like a brand new take on a familiar song. You emerge from hearing it not thinking it's better or lesser than Lee's version, but that it's a valid new interpretation that could have come first.

The same approach works on "Angel Eyes," "You Don't Know What Love Is," and "I'm on Fire." Most of the rest, including the title song, "Oblivion," "Time Will Tell," "Gasoa Blue," and "The Sea," are Gomes originals that fit right in with the standards. The recording achieves exactly what Bjørnild set out as his goal. It can provide the best seat in your listening room. Go to the Sound Liaison site, listen to a few samples, download an album, and see if you don't agree that this intimate effort is one of the best and best-sounding jazz vocal albums to come along in many a day. By the way, the small audience applauds enthusiastically enough after the last chords of a song die away, but the attendees never interrupt or make themselves known while a song is going on. No doubt they were completely mesmerized into silence, as was I.

Be sure to listen to: On "Dock of the Bay," Gomes creates a languid, bluesy version that is a little bit reminiscent of Bobbie Gentry while still coming across as quite original. It'll cast a spell over you.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I was looking at that STS site a few days ago and thought about ordering some more. I may still, as I'm quite impressed!

there's nothing on that site it seems

where are there products shown

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
there's nothing on that site it seems

where are there products shown

They were there initially, but yes...that page is blank now. Sorry Steve! I don't know what happened.

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
STS Marantz Carmn Gomes

But I am talking about the Sound Liaison site:

http://http://www.soundliaison.com/
last time I looked it was up and running(2 minutes ago to get the link,).

But the sts', I guess you can get them via Marantz,but again I do prefer the Sound Liaison recordings of Carmen Gomes,the sts recordings are about 10 years old now,they are 24/44 recordings and in m.o. only ''Carmen Meets Kharma''has stood the test of time. If you serch on amazon you can find a few SACD's of the STS album but really the downloads, all though not 5.1, are way better.They were nominated for album of the year at the Naim forum.
1000 Shades.jpg Tornv2200shadow.jpg

Attachments

• carmenmeetskharma.jpg
    carmenmeetskharma.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 5,358
Last edited:

Migo

Aug 10, 2013
But I am talking about the Sound Liaison site:

http://http://www.soundliaison.com/
last time I looked it was up and running(2 minutes ago to get the link,).

But the sts', I guess you can get them via Marantz,but again I do prefer the Sound Liaison recordings of Carmen Gomes,the sts recordings are about 10 years old now,they are 24/44 recordings and in m.o. only ''Carmen Meets Kharma''has stood the test of time. If you serch on amazon you can find a few SACD's of the STS album but really the downloads, all though not 5.1, are way better.They were nominated for album of the year at the Naim forum.
View attachment 14669

The Sound Liaison albums with Carmen Gomes are way better than the STS/Marantz CD. The Sound Quality is so much more refined.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Very true but 24 bit's link does not work, this is the right link;
http://www.soundliaison.com/
and this is her 2 albums for that label.

SSS1.jpg
Inspired by the tale of Ines and Pedro, 'Thousand Shades of Blue' is Carmen Gomes' tribute to the land of her ancestors, the sea surrounding it, and the power of impossible love.
Torn shadow.jpg
Gomes Sings "You better come on into my kitchen, 'cause it's going to be raining outdoors" and what a wondrous musical kitchen she possesses.
The utensils are the thoughtfully played musical notes. The chef is Carmen herself, serving a dream-like melodic delicacy. We at Adore Jazz, play the music from Gomes' new CD "Torn" with great joy.

Guy Zinger - Reviewer & Writer, All About Jazz

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing