What I'd love to hear at RMAF

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I'd like to hear some real music like Led Zeppelin II, Procol Harum, etc. I'm a bit tired of the Diana Krall, Janis Ian, Three Blind Mice, etc. stuff.

I would also require every demo room to allow CDs from guests. The proprietary "only if its on our iPad" mentality is not good for show goers.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I'd like to hear some real music like Led Zeppelin II, Procol Harum, etc. I'm a bit tired of the Diana Krall, Janis Ian, Three Blind Mice, etc. stuff.

I would also require every demo room to allow CDs from guests. The proprietary "only if its on our iPad" mentality is not good for show goers.

I agree with being able to hear your own software at a demo. It will tell you much more about how the demo system compares to your own.

I once entered a room at RMAF that had no way to play a disc and was told that they didn't have time to play everyone's CD's.:mad: I was the only one in the room. It seems to me if you want to promote your gear you need to be more accommodating.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The Sony cabinet is, as always from a mass-market maker, fairly resonant, especially the top plate.

I think you may be talking about philosophical differences. The Western mentality seems to endorse rigid, braced, concrete-like, cabinets that demand enslaving conquest and mastery over man, animal, the cosmos, the material world and resonant speaker elements.

Many of the Asian speakers are more integrative and respectful of materials and their limitations/virtues. If you hear some of the Shindo speakers, the gorgeous cabinets ring like bells. The ambience of the cabinet is clearly regarded as part of the speaker's virtues, not a characteristic to be eradicated but enhanced/enjoyed.

Sony's classic audio lines have shown that integrative respect for materials from way back to the 70's.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Another thing that would be nice is if the exhibitors would list all of the gear that will be in their room online and in the booklet you get when you get your badge. There have been many instances when a product I wanted to hear was at the show but not listed online or in the booklet. I would only find out about it after the show was over because someone else would mention it.

Some are good about listing their stuff and some not so much. I know it will never be 100% accurate because of last minute substitutions but some exhibitors can do a better job of this.

I have given up on making it to every room as it seems impossible. I would rather pick and choose things that are interesting to me and take my time with it. If I don't have advanced notice that something will be there then I will miss hearing it unless I stumble upon it.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
I agree with being able to hear your own software at a demo. It will tell you much more about how the demo system compares to your own.

I once entered a room at RMAF that had no way to play a disc and was told that they didn't have time to play everyone's CD's.:mad: I was the only one in the room. It seems to me if you want to promote your gear you need to be more accommodating.

Yes , but only if familiar with your requested material, Play some weird off the wall stuff without knowing the outcome and you offend other show goers , who will criticize the sound and not the recording ...

Very difficult to recover from such ....

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I think you may be talking about philosophical differences. The Western mentality seems to endorse rigid, braced, concrete-like, cabinets that demand enslaving conquest and mastery over man, animal, the cosmos, the material world and resonant speaker elements.

Many of the Asian speakers are more integrative and respectful of materials and their limitations/virtues. If you hear some of the Shindo speakers, the gorgeous cabinets ring like bells. The ambience of the cabinet is clearly regarded as part of the speaker's virtues, not a characteristic to be eradicated but enhanced/enjoyed.

Sony's classic audio lines have shown that integrative respect for materials from way back to the 70's.

Regardless of the possible reasons, the Sony's at last year's RAMF did not impress me compared to the Sasha W/P (not one of my favorite speakers but in several rooms last year), and of course the other speakers weren't yet released.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

That goes without saying! I was just at the Vivaldi demo and was totally unimpressed until they played three CDs that I had brought along.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
That goes without saying! I was just at the Vivaldi demo and was totally unimpressed until they played three CDs that I had brought along.

You brought CD's? :D

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Yes , but only if familiar with your requested material, Play some weird off the wall stuff without knowing the outcome and you offend other show goers , who will criticize the sound and not the recording ...

Very difficult to recover from such ....

Yes I understand that point of view but the other show goers will have their own opportunity to play their own disc's. If they are patient enough. If they did not bring anything they are familiar with then that is their loss.

I like it when other people play things I am not familiar with because I may hear something I like. I bring a pen and paper just for such occasions. I can wait my turn to play something of my own. Not everyone thinks the same way but that's how I roll.

Sean

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
You brought CD's? :D

With great trepidation. You know, nowadays one feels like they're ancient if they bring CDs and not a memory stick :)

You know, despite my feelings, I wish digital worked. I do try to hear all the players and hopefully will someday find a digital front-end that I can live with.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Myles,

You would like the MBL Reference Line digital gear. It's the most analog like digital I've heard. It made a believer of me.

See you soon at RMAF!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Myles,

You would like the MBL Reference Line digital gear. It's the most analog like digital I've heard. It made a believer of me.

See you soon at RMAF!

I'd like to hear that as well Peter.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
If it's one thing I hate, it's diigtal that sounds analog.:b It reminds me of that emasculated SS gear.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Another thing that would be nice is if the exhibitors would list all of the gear that will be in their room online and in the booklet you get when you get your badge. There have been many instances when a product I wanted to hear was at the show but not listed online or in the booklet. I would only find out about it after the show was over because someone else would mention it.

Some are good about listing their stuff and some not so much. I know it will never be 100% accurate because of last minute substitutions but some exhibitors can do a better job of this.

I have given up on making it to every room as it seems impossible. I would rather pick and choose things that are interesting to me and take my time with it. If I don't have advanced notice that something will be there then I will miss hearing it unless I stumble upon it.

I'd pay an extra $5 for a booklet such as this.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
This is what I would like to hear in terms of gear:

Audio Research Ref 10 preamp, Reference DAC, and Ref 75 and Ref 150 amps
Schiit Audio Gungnir DAC
Oppo 105 player
Sennheiser Momentum headphones
Wilson Audio Alexia (there is an event for this)
Magnepan's new desk system
Black Cat's NeoMorpheus cable
VPI Classic 4
Ultimate Ears Personal Reference Monitors
Mytek DSD 192 DAC

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm finally going to get an opportunity to listen to Gary's Genesis 5.3(?) speakers, paired with some Burmeister gear at the TAVE Show in Toronto this weekend. I have no idea what to expect, but it should be a fun listen. I mentioned to Gary that I'm going to bring EC's Live At Budokan LP (which you should get if you haven't).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing