A question about phonostages and cartridges!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
If one has a phonostage that only accepts MM cartridges, what would happen of you mounted a MC on your tonearm? Would you get no sound?

And no, I'm not contemplating this.....just wondering.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Interesting question. Though I have not tried it myself but from my observation of other MM preamps matched with external step up transformers, I would say you will get very little sound even with the rotary volume at 3 o'clock if an MC is plugged into a MM only preamp. The step up transformer boosts the signal up, when used in between them.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
John,

Most MC cartridges have typical output voltage around 1/10 of the output of a MM and are optimized for a load between some tens and one thousand ohms, while MM stages have typically 47kohms input impedance.

Most probably you would get a sound with little dynamics, some noise and poor bass control. I had this problem with the old Audio Research SP8 - it needed a step up transformer to be used with MC's.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
If you mount a high output MC cartridge you should be ok. If you install a low output MC cartridge it will just be noise/distortion.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
A friend has the Octave V70SE with phono upgrade, which he is using with his new Project Perspex and Blue Point EVO (MC). The phono upgrade on the Octave is either one or the other and not both, according to the 6Moons review, and he's barely getting any sound. I'm thinking he has the MM board, which is his problem.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I thought that the Blue Point was a high-output MC, and if so, the MM input would work with it. If he's barely getting any sound, something else could be wrong.

He has the Blue Point Special EVO III....

From the Needledoctor site:

Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III is a high output moving coil phono cartridge with an open generator design and alloy cantilever. The output is 2.5 mV, Chemically coated aluminum cantilever with 0.3mm x 0.7mm elliptical stylus. Ultra low-resonance open generator design. Resonance controlled mounting system provides the lowest mechanical impedance. Highly compatible with most modern tonearms.

Low mechanical impedance mounting system ingeniously dissipates resonance.

So yes, it should work.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
His phono section may be broken. Either that or he has his gozindas backwards.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I am using a .4 mV MC cartridge with an MM input in Santa Cruz. It is an old Sony TA 4650 with a VFET MM input stage. I then route the signal into a Yamaha surround receiver for ambience processing, and it works and sounds absolutely wonderful. I have tried also using an adaptor with the headphone output of the TA 4650, which is taken off the VFET push pull amplifier stage, and it adds about 20 db of gain, but it sounds great either through the preamp output or the headphone output, either way, no audible noise or liability that I can discern.

There is nothing that says theoretically it would not work out OK to use an MC cartridge since you still get the RIAA equalization, you may need extra boost down the chain, and I would imagine it would be cartridge dependent. Lower gain MC cartridges would be subject to experimentation. Every doubling of voltage is about 6db of gain.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I just found out some more info...

He has his TT connected to his OCTAVE, but he has his Integra Pre/Pro connected to it. That would be his problem as he's running his Octove as a power unit, not an integrated amp. The TT would need to be connected to the Integra. Correct?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
If you mount a high output MC cartridge you should be ok. If you install a low output MC cartridge it will just be noise/distortion.

Bingo. I used to use a high output MC with my old ARC SP-10mkii.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
As of this morning, and after double-checking every connection, and taking the Integra out of the equation, still nothing. He bought the Octave directly from the manufacturer as there were no units in the U.S. available with a phono section. Could this potentially be an issue? To make sure it isn't something with the TT, which I doubt, I suggested he bring his TT to his dealer and have them connect it to another unit. Or he bring in his Octave and try another TT. Process of elimination. This is so weird.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
There are only two possibilties at this point: either the cartridge is shorted out or his phono section is broken.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
There are only two possibilties at this point: either the cartridge is shorted out or his phono section is broken.

Seems logical to me. He's bringing in his TT to a dealer morning. I'm waiting to hear back.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Regarding the original topic, one can listen an MC cartridge with a MM phononstage adding an SUT, depending on the cartridge output, one might need 20, 30 or eveb more dBs up, and just as important as that, the input impedance on the phono stage should see an MM cartridge load (typically 47Kohms).

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Regarding the original topic, one can listen an MC cartridge with a MM phononstage adding an SUT, depending on the cartridge output, one might need 20, 30 or eveb more dBs up, and just as important as that, the input impedance on the phono stage should see an MM cartridge load (typically 47Kohms).

What's an SUT Flez?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Step Up Transformer

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing