ARTsa and LP125sa -- CJ goes stereo

Mar 24, 2012
Maryland
parttimeaudiophile.com
I heard that the LP125M amps (monos) are no longer being made, instead, the company has introduced the stereo version, the new LP125sa. With the new ARTsa, it seems that Conrad-Johnson are moving to stereo over mono blocks generally.

Has anyone heard either amp?

Anyone had a chance to hear the comparison to the mono version?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
All it really means is cj have one chassis that has 8 x 6550 or kt120's. That config can be either in stereo or two chassis mono block. Gives quite a bit more flexibility IMO.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
All it really means is cj have one chassis that has 8 x 6550 or kt120's. That config can be either in stereo or two chassis mono block. Gives quite a bit more flexibility IMO.

I thought in the mono version, it was 8 tubes in each mono...so 16 tubes total?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I heard that the LP125M amps (monos) are no longer being made, instead, the company has introduced the stereo version, the new LP125sa. With the new ARTsa, it seems that Conrad-Johnson are moving to stereo over mono blocks generally.

Has anyone heard either amp?

Anyone had a chance to hear the comparison to the mono version?

I remember speaking with a few engineers about taking my CJ stereo amp (since sold) and getting a second one to go mono. They said the main differences would be greater solidity in the bass line, better separation (obviously...no cross talk with monos), a broader soundstage, and finally potenially greater ease/effortlessness of delivery (thought that would depend more on the load of speaker the amp(s) were driving).

I cannot say if this would apply here...particulary as i dont know your speaker. But that was what i heard from the engineers (one from BBC who retired and went into audio, and the other from CJ).

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I thought in the mono version, it was 8 tubes in each mono...so 16 tubes total?

Correct Lloyd.

8 tubes per chassis. Stereo could be upgraded to mono and go from 125/140. up to 250/275 watts.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Correct Lloyd.

8 tubes per chassis. Stereo could be upgraded to mono and go from 125/140. up to 250/275 watts.

Hey Turntable - i know you had the Gryphon Colosseum in your system for a while...how would you compare the Colosseum to the big CJ tubed monos? I am just curious particularly as your system and mine are now (once again) extremely close...both GATs, both TA Ref cabling (i now have XLMM2), analog/analog-like front ends, and big Wilson speakers.

i've never had the opportunity to have big cj monos in my system...so just wondering. no desire to switch, but certainly always curious! thanks!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi Lloyd

Its all too long ago to accurately compare. All I know at the time the extra $$ was too much. Btw, Nordost Tyr speaker cables now.

Cheers

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloyd

Its all too long ago to accurately compare. All I know at the time the extra $$ was too much. Btw, Nordost Tyr speaker cables now.

Cheers

Thanks...congrats on the Nordost!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing