Crowdsourcing a Concert (aka) Asking for Requests

Thomas.Dennehy

Jan 5, 2012
Bloomfield Hills MI
I had the great good fortune of attending a concert at the Michigan Theater in Ann Arbor MI last Saturday.
The bill: Iron & Wine opening for Glen Hansard. By "Iron & Wine," I mean Sam Beam.

Therein lies the question. Mr. Beam opened his performance by playing several songs on solo acoustic guitar before being joined by a keyboard player and multi-instrumentalist (mandolin, banjo, electric gutiar). While tuning up before his first song, Mr. Beam in his banter with the crowd implied that he didn't have a pre-arranged set list and was open to audience input.

That opened the floodgate. For the rest of the evening, well after it was clear that Mr. Beam and his guys definitely had a set list, and all the way through the performance of Mr, Hansard and his band, the space between songs was completely filled by fans yelling song titles to the stage, along with the occasional "I love you, man."

I found this annoying and ever so slightly detracted from my enjoyment of a killer show. Am I just old and out of touch?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
He asked for it, he got it-Toyota.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
As long as no one shouted 'Freebird,' it is considered acceptable behavior. What i love, is going to shows, and seeing all these turkeys glued to smart phones, not even for taking pictures, but sending texts, emails, who knows. Maybe playing angry birds or making friends on 'social media'? What the hell did they have to leave the house for? Great concert, huh dude?
:)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
As long as no one shouted 'Freebird,' it is considered acceptable behavior. What i love, is going to shows, and seeing all these turkeys glued to smart phones, not even for taking pictures, but sending texts, emails, who knows. Maybe playing angry birds or making friends on 'social media'? What the hell did they have to leave the house for? Great concert, huh dude?
:)

Requests are free. Free bird is $100. It's the rule.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing