Your Favourite newage Tracks

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I'm not sure Michael Hedges is really new age, but he got tagged with that genre for being on Windam Hill. Amazing acoustic guitarist. Not sure he has a peer. Anyone with a system with a good midrange should own a few of his albums and wonder at them. Just avoid the ones upon which he sang. Michael died young, and that was a significant loss to the art.

Tim

Yes Tim; Michael Hedges is (was) New Age/Folk music (guitarist extraordinaire). :b
...Got all of his CDs.
{I cried when he passed away.}

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I loved Michael's rare interviews; he was quite a character. I remember one comment, though, that was quite serious and really surprised me. He said he learned how to play guitar from Stephen Stills records. Of course Michael sounded nothing like Stills. But then I went back and listened to a bunch of Stills' records, particularly the acoustic, open-tuning stuff. He played that style very percussively, very aggressively. I could easily picture the young Hedges listening to those records and learning the building blocks of what became his own unique style.

I miss him.

Tim

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Jazz avant-gardiste .... ECM Record label :: Tord Gustavsen :::

--------Andre, is that OK to include these two highly recommended music album selections in your
-------New Age Music Suggestions thread?

------- ----------

* Just click on both picture cover art from above for free music samples,
plus a short review with more info and bio.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Andre, is that OK to include these two highly recommended music album selections in your New Age Music Suggestions thread?

----- ------------

* Just click on both picture cover art from above for free music samples,
plus a short review with more info and bio.

No problem this music is so smooth it could pass for newage it is so smooth that some jazz lover's don't think it's jazz, for me it's just GOOD MUSIC and yes ECM is a great label

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Paul Winter. Prayer For The Wild Things

Winter Paul     Prayer For The Wild Things.jpg

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Rob Eberhard Young :: Sticks & Stones ::: On Imaginary Road Record label ::::

---Thanx Andre; I think in the same lines as you. :b

* Tim, I don't know if you know this guy or have it in your guitarist (New Age) collection;
but if you don't, please do get it (the CD is [HDCD] encoded, and sounds excellent).

-----

-----Click on the picture ^ cover art album.

Highly Recommended, of course. :b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
---Andre, do you have some turntables? What is your take on albums (Long Plays)?
... 78s? ... R2R tapes? ... VHS tapes? ... 8-track cassette tapes? ;)

* Bruce, Enigma is no longer New Age anymore; it's so 'depasse', deja vu from the past. :D

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
---Andre, do you have some turntables? What is your take on albums (Long Plays)?
... 78s? ... R2R tapes? ... VHS tapes? ... 8-track cassette tapes? ;)

* Bruce, Enigma is no longer New Age anymore; it's so 'depasse', deja vu from the past. :D

Last turntable was Oracle Delphi with Stax UA9N tonearm & Grace F-9R cartridge 1983 just could not digest SURFACE NOISE & QUALITY CONTROL 1984 pro cd ever since.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
When I bought my first CD player in ~1982, Windham Hill New Age record put out a lot of titles and that became my fix. I bought just about all I could get and to this day, listen to my George Winston piano tracks. What happened to Windham Hill? Are they still around? I lost track years back and have not bought much New Age as of late. Thanks for creating the thread. I will have to explore them.

BTW, if you put [ video] and [ /video] tags around your youtube links (take out the space after "["), it will then be embedded right in the post.

I too was attracted to New Age with Windham Hill - I still have a lot of the records, and some CDs. The label is no more, but Steven Miller is still around, and trying to put together a new label. I asked him about the Windham hill repertoire, but he said that the rights are with Sony, and they don't want to do anything with them. More's the pity that there's a lot of good music lost because it's owned Sony/BMG/Universal and they think that said music is not "commercially viable".

B. Hilton

Jun 6, 2012
La La Land
Hi NorthStar, I'm new to WBF, looking forward to the forum experience for helping to research various things. I saw your New Age music question, and have some experience in that area. All of the aforementioned suggestions are terrific (esp Steve Roach and David Darling, IMHO), and there is still a worldwide community of artists that embraces the term, some out of love, others for a retail marketing need. There are so many sub-genres today, but here are a few artists that I really like: Fiona Joy Hawkins, Ola Gjeilo, Al Conti, Jeff Oster, Jay Oliver, Chris Spheeris, Tron. In fact, a lot of them connect in this NewAgeMusik site, which has a nice streaming music player...you might discover someone new. I like different types of music for different times of day, so for me, late afternoon is when I tune in and chill out. :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Hi NorthStar, I'm new to WBF, looking forward to the forum experience for helping to research various things. I saw your New Age music question, and have some experience in that area. All of the aforementioned suggestions are terrific (esp Steve Roach and David Darling, IMHO), and there is still a worldwide community of artists that embraces the term, some out of love, others for a retail marketing need. There are so many sub-genres today, but here are a few artists that I really like: Fiona Joy Hawkins, Ola Gjeilo, Al Conti, Jeff Oster, Jay Oliver, Chris Spheeris, Tron. In fact, a lot of them connect in this NewAgeMusik site, which has a nice streaming music player...you might discover someone new. I like different types of music for different times of day, so for me, late afternoon is when I tune in and chill out. :)

-----Very nice of you Brian*, and a big warm Welcome!

* Or Barry, Bob? :b

Best,
Bob

P.S. Andre (MrAcoustat) is Mr. New Age. :b

P.P.S. I still have several LPs from the Windham Hill Record label (few CDs too);
some of them are colored purple (transparent, blue, ...),
and all of them sound very good, even the piano. :b
-> They were well recorded by true dedicated music lovers. ...Quality Record company.

Last edited:

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Gary...btw, I see you are into fidelity; both Fiona Joy Hawkins & Ola Gjeilo released SACD albums you might like to hear.

I already have a couple of albums by Ola Gjeilo, including high rez of Stone Rose from 2L. But Fiona Joy Hawkins is new to me, and I'll definitely explore. Thanks!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
P.P.S. I still have several LPs from the Windham Hill Record label (few CDs too);
-> They were well recorded by true dedicated music lovers. ...Quality Record company.

Yes, I agree. The George Winston titles on Windham Hill are some of the best piano recordings on vinyl I own.

B. Hilton

Jun 6, 2012
La La Land
Windham Hill 2.0

-----Very nice of you Brian*, and a big warm Welcome!

* Or Barry, Bob? :b

Best,
Bob

P.S. Andre (MrAcoustat) is Mr. New Age. :b

Thanks Bob! I just came across this CD plug on Fiona's Facebook page, which was interesting...here is what Windham Hill's founder Will Ackerman is up to now, producing out of his VT studio. He made a compilations of his recent productions: http://www.facebook.com/TheGatheringCD/info There's a sort of richness to this new sound, very produced and layered, but nice just the same...

BTW, "B" is for Betty ;)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My favorite of all time is Enigma, starting with MCMXC a.D.

I agree....my all-time fave New Age band and likely always will be.

And Bob...I don't care if they're "depasse". :p:)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Thanks Bob! I just came across this CD plug on Fiona's Facebook page, which was interesting...here is what Windham Hill's founder Will Ackerman is up to now, producing out of his VT studio. He made a compilations of his recent productions: http://www.facebook.com/TheGatheringCD/info There's a sort of richness to this new sound, very produced and layered, but nice just the same...

BTW, "B" is for Betty ;)

-----Hi Betty, nice meeting you. :b ...And a lady too with music taste and knowledge. :cool:

Please, feel just like at home.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing