Refurbished Harman Kardon A500

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Here is a HK A500 that I went through. Techically I only upgraded caps and replaced the volune control with an Alps. The rest of the time it was all about cleaning and polishing.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Excellent job! A friend of mine recently refurbished an HK Citation II. It was in the most aweful shape before, but the after is just stunning. And the thing sound terrific. I'll bet yours has a very sweet sound as well.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I used to have a version of that amp but I think mine used 6L6 output tubes. It is a nice sounding amp. I think I was 15 or 16 when I owned it. My old man always had a **** stereo, but I had the real deal in my bedroom as a kid.

By the way, great job on cleaning the HK up and installing the new caps. It really looks nice.

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
This was my first piece of high end audio. I had it modded so that there was a tap from the preamp section installed with RCA outputs. Ran the preamp section into a David Hafler DH 220 amp and then into Maggie's. Sounded pretty damn good.
Never figured out the blend function but seemed pretty cool at the time.

Mr Rick

Oct 24, 2011
Polish ??? what Polish did you use?

Gees..... the face plate on your A500 looks like it had a lot of buffing and polish.What did you use? My old gal is also an A500, and she sure could use a polish.You did a great job!
Now whats your secret...

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Gees..... the face plate on your A500 looks like it had a lot of buffing and polish.What did you use? My old gal is also an A500, and she sure could use a polish.You did a great job!
Now whats your secret...

Happich Simichrome polish

Spencerlholbert

Dec 8, 2011
"Channel A/B Balance" Potentiometer Question

I have a question about the 7355s. I just bought 4 NOS tubes from Brent Jessee and will receive them shortly. I understand that the tubes are cathode bias, which means that I do not have to adjust bias, correct? What is the "Channel A/B Balance" pot for? I have heard some people say that it is bias adjustment, others say that it is harmonic adjustment... I don't know, and I hesitate to mess with it before hearing a second opinion.

v5OhxSJu

Aug 15, 2012
Great restoration!

Happich Simichrome polish

Wow! Beautiful work. I was so impressed I bought a tube of Simichrome. I'm amazed at the preservation of the lettering.

I hope you will please consider posting these pictures at the Yahoo Citation Sound group, http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/citationsound/

Although it's not technically a Citation I know they would enjoy seeing it. Thanks for posting here.

gyrene

Nov 28, 2014
Wilmington N.C.
I just joined this group because of this HK A500 and the pics.
It is so beautiful all polished up like that.
I just got mine and I think it is really clean.Have not put power to it yet and the capacitors to do a recap have not arrived yet.
Maybe I can resurrect this thread and ask for some help so I do not blow this amp up?

Thanks for showing off this amp and I hope it is still singing for you.
Would love to hear from the original poster.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing