LED ZEPPELIN: Celebration Day (November 19, 2012)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The 2007 reunion concert at London's O2 Arena is getting a Blu-ray release.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Led-Zeppelin-Celebration-Day-Blu-ray/55431/

It's also being released theatrically, but I'm not sure in which markets.

A CD is also planned at the same time.

Lots of rumours, but I don't want to post until I can get confirmation.

Good news all around though!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I heard there might be LPs too, but they will probably be sourced from digital.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
The 2007 reunion concert at London's O2 Arena is getting a Blu-ray release.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Led-Zeppelin-Celebration-Day-Blu-ray/55431/

It's also being released theatrically, but I'm not sure in which markets.

A CD is also planned at the same time.

Lots of rumours, but I don't want to post until I can get confirmation.

Good news all around though!

I have a soundboard boot of the rehearsals. They were in decent form I must say.

There was tremendous pressure applied to do a full tour by Plant refused.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
My wife and I went to that show. It was great. Best, though, was the large empty space at the back of the floor, where no seats were placed. Strange, because the house was packed. Once Zep came on stage, it became obvious- it was the air guitar section. Long haired dudes, fat dudes, old dudes, but all dudes, playing every lick perfectly with more showmanship and gusto than Mr. Page mustered back in the day. Of course, SWTH was the topper for those guys. It was worthwhile, as past LZ get togethers in the aftermath of Mr. Bonham's passing were not to the level of the old Zep magic. Jason played well (dug him when he played for Joe Bonamassa as well).
Sound was also good, considering it was arena show, and I go to very few of those these days....

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Quite honestly, The Page and Plant tours of the 1990's were superior, playing wise to this little one time get together. I recorded many of those shows and the band was backed up by the city's venue Philharmonic Orchestra.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Quite honestly, The Page and Plant tours of the 1990's were superior, playing wise to this little one time get together. I recorded many of those shows and the band was backed up by the city's venue Philharmonic Orchestra.
Christian- you mean their separate work, not the Live Aid or the other faux Zep Atlantic show? I saw them when they were inducted into the RRHoF and they were pretty awful, but I gathered that they really hadn't rehearsed, and there was some publicized nastiness.
I admire Jimmy Page immensely, including for his early session work.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
On Led Zeppelin, i was not out to buy loads of it...just one album, maybe 2 if fantastic. I also wanted one well remastered. I was originally going for Led Zep IV Remastered, but after reading some reviews, i went with Led Zep Remasters overseen by Jimmy Page in '97. Literally less than a buck on Amazon, and the reviews seem to suggest these remasters were superior than later ones where the loudness levels flattened the dynamic range too much.

Are there are any MFSL-type remasters which are far superior? Frankly, i wanted 1 album, and i suspect the Remasters album is plenty good and at 98 cents for 2 albums, cannot complain! thanks for any thoughts on this.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
On Led Zeppelin, i was not out to buy loads of it...just one album, maybe 2 if fantastic. I also wanted one well remastered. I was originally going for Led Zep IV Remastered, but after reading some reviews, i went with Led Zep Remasters overseen by Jimmy Page in '97. Literally less than a buck on Amazon, and the reviews seem to suggest these remasters were superior than later ones where the loudness levels flattened the dynamic range too much.

Are there are any MFSL-type remasters which are far superior? Frankly, i wanted 1 album, and i suspect the Remasters album is plenty good and at 98 cents for 2 albums, cannot complain! thanks for any thoughts on this.
I have LZ II on an old MFSL vinyl disc that I bought new- it is hardly special sonically. I have the original copy of it, and LZ 1 that I bought what, in 1969? I'll have to dig those out. I probably have all their other records, and the BBC release (not on vinyl) as well as a bootleg of The New Yardbirds, various foreign pressings, including ones in Cyrillic, etc.
I bought that Mothership set on vinyl a few years ago, my recollection is that it sounds better than the others i have, but it is selective in what tracks it contains. I actually like the first album the best, but it's a pretty nasty recording. As Rocketman pointed out in another thread, there is some monster vinyl set, I can't remember if it is Classic or MFSL, in a suitcase. I may have LZ 1 on Classic too, if they released it.
Ever see the film footage of them playing when they first broke in around 1969? They were filmed performing live in a Scandanavian TV studio- they do four songs, all stuff, if memory serves, from the first album. The audience is kids, sitting politely on the floor. The band is young, already cooking, Page could play (a Tele no less, not his famous Les Paul) and you can tell he is the musical 'director' of the group: they were not the jaded rock stars they later became. The footage is on a DVD that was released in the last 10 or so years.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
MoFi released LZ 2. It sounds very good, but I still probably prefer my Classic Record's reissue. I also have a RL version first US issue in Ex condition. Parts of it I like best, others, not so much. There is some distortion at points, IMO. Perhaps it's my copy, I just don't know

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
MoFi released LZ 2. It sounds very good, but I still probably prefer my Classic Record's reissue. I also have a RL version first US issue in Ex condition. Parts of it I like best, others, not so much. There is some distortion at points, IMO. Perhaps it's my copy, I just don't know
Christian, who made that set that came in the suitcase that you commented on in another thread that had me laughing- when i noted the price, i said, you really gotta like LZ, and you responded with 'Whole Lotta Love.' :)
NB. I answered my own question: Classic reissued all the albums in a roadcase, according to one review on vinyl asylum, there were a number of QC issues with various of the discs (these were the 200g 45's). That set sells for crazy money.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have LZ II on an old MFSL vinyl disc that I bought new- it is hardly special sonically. I have the original copy of it, and LZ 1 that I bought what, in 1969? I'll have to dig those out. I probably have all their other records, and the BBC release (not on vinyl) as well as a bootleg of The New Yardbirds, various foreign pressings, including ones in Cyrillic, etc.
I bought that Mothership set on vinyl a few years ago, my recollection is that it sounds better than the others i have, but it is selective in what tracks it contains. I actually like the first album the best, but it's a pretty nasty recording. As Rocketman pointed out in another thread, there is some monster vinyl set, I can't remember if it is Classic or MFSL, in a suitcase. I may have LZ 1 on Classic too, if they released it.
Ever see the film footage of them playing when they first broke in around 1969? They were filmed performing live in a Scandanavian TV studio- they do four songs, all stuff, if memory serves, from the first album. The audience is kids, sitting politely on the floor. The band is young, already cooking, Page could play (a Tele no less, not his famous Les Paul) and you can tell he is the musical 'director' of the group: they were not the jaded rock stars they later became. The footage is on a DVD that was released in the last 10 or so years.

Thanks...sounds like i will stick with the Remasters for now.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
The pathetic pretenders of today need to bow down to the Gods Of Rock. Thanks for this link!
In a lot of ways they defined what it was to be a rock star- Peter Grant getting them the beaucoup share of the gate, the private jet (yeah, I know Elvis had one), the Riot House-style parties, and all the crazy mystical stuff ala Crowley. They deliberately aimed at big venues in US tours to make their money.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
In a lot of ways they defined what it was to be a rock star- Peter Grant getting them the beaucoup share of the gate, the private jet (yeah, I know Elvis had one), the Riot House-style parties, and all the crazy mystical stuff ala Crowley. They deliberately aimed at big venues in US tours to make their money.

All true. When they toured it was a troupe of marauding pirates coming to town to entertain you, take your women, and plunder.

All that being said..the level of craft, songwriting, stage presence, and sheer audacity to not repeat tried and true formulas made them a force of nature.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

And please let's not forget about their music... My favorite and by far Rock Group/Artist

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Picked up the Deluxe edition (2CD/BD/DVD) today. The CD's are awful....really compressed...like there is no life to them. The BD got a great review at Blu-ray.com so I'm looking forward to watching it. Hopefully the 3-LP set will will bring out the music!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Some weird things about this release. First, all the HD audio on the BD Video is only 16/48, with 24/48 available only on the BD Audio or through HD Tracks. Second, if you are able to find a promo copy of the CD's, they are much less compressed than the regular CD's, I have no idea why. They can be downloaded from a variety of bit torrent sites (although I got mine from a friend).

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Some weird things about this release. First, all the HD audio on the BD Video is only 16/48, with 24/48 available only on the BD Audio or through HD Tracks. Second, if you are able to find a promo copy of the CD's, they are much less compressed than the regular CD's, I have no idea why. They can be downloaded from a variety of bit torrent sites (although I got mine from a friend).

I didn't realize there was a separate BD audio release for this?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing