With all the problem at Audiogon

taters

Jun 6, 2012
Why hasn't someone tried to corner the market on selling used gear. This seems like a prime opportunity for someone to do this. Even with all their problems, Audiogon is still the biggest seller of used Audio products. I would think If someone knew what they were doing they could steal a large market share from Audiogon.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Why hasn't someone tried to corner the market on selling used gear. This seems like a prime opportunity for someone to do this. Even with all their problems, Audiogon is still the biggest seller of used Audio products. I would think If someone knew what they were doing they could steal a large market share from Audiogon.

We looked into the possibility 3 months ago. The start up cost along with the gamble is huge. It's likeDavid taking on Goliath.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
we've been there and done that. Trust me when I tell you we spent the better part of 4-6 weeks with front and back end programmers etc, etc with many members here.

When all was said and done, notwithstanding all the hackers at Audiogon and their problems when all was said and done it was felt to be too risky and we abandoned the idea.

taters

Jun 6, 2012
we've been there and done that. Trust me when I tell you we spent the better part of 4-6 weeks with front and back end programmers etc, etc with many members here.

When all was said and done, notwithstanding all the hackers at Audiogon and their problems when all was said and done it was felt to be too risky and we abandoned the idea.

That's too bad, I would think it would be a good opportunity.

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area

Not withstanding that many times when it all comes down to the wire those very people who said they would be there standing with you, suddenly disappear. It's like signing an apartment lease with someone who decides to get married 8 months before the lease expires leaving you stuck :).

jazzbo

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
There are lots of players in this market: Stereolist.com, theaudioxchange.com, Myaudiolisting.com, USAaudiomart.com, and Audiophile.org. Add to this, forums with their own classfieds like audioasylum.com and audiokarma.org. You start to see it isn't as easy as just putting up a site. Even with Audiogon's issues, the other sites could only pull a fraction of the business. It is a real catch-22. Sellers want lots of traffic and buyers want to see lots of classifieds. New guys don't have either and it's hard to get people to post ads when they don't think many will see it. Then there is the whole issue of a sellers track record. The numbers of scammers out their has made the buying public a little gun shy.

Yes, you can create your own site but to have it become a money making venture could take years or maybe never.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing