Emotiva RMC-1 and XMC-1 Surround Sound Processors - "With" TacTless Room EQ!

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Should you buy one of those??? :confused: ...Do you believe? ...Are you confident? :eek:
How's your level of reassurance? :(

If in doubt, wait a year until after the product is released. As noted in one of the posts of the thread you listed, the trick for Boz and Emotiva will be to create an "idiot proof" user interface. Given my (very positive) experience with TacT and Boz, I'm sure it is doable.

And if you can get 90% of a TacT RCS in a full featured SSP for $1500 with a simple user interface, then they will have a killer product.

That said, I will be more than a bit impressed if this yet-to-be-delivered product will outperform an Integra 80.x. I have compared the TacT 2.2XP with the Integra 80.2 (for 2 channel) and the Integra does a much better job of reducing bass ringing. BUT, the TacT gives much more flexibility and the ability to create a smoother sounding response (than Audyssey Pro). Should be interesting.

I love competition !!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---Yes but right now (as it always been) it's all holy water. ...Words without frontiers ...

And if based on real history (facts), the UMC-1 (predecessor) still has a faulty bass management.
...Not small, but major! ...And it is what three years old! And they never fixed this major issue?!!

Anyway, so many words over the years and always outside their meanings!

The XMC-1 was said to be released this summer with TacT!
We all know that TacT is a pain in a butt to use! It is complex and that's one of the reason why most people are staying away of!
Not user friendly at all! ...And do you think that the target buyers for that RMC-1 and XMC-1 are people who want to spend their time trying to understand, fiddling, and having constant headaches? ...Because of all the problems of incompatibilty with the human race? ;) ...Seriously though.
Yeah, in the year 2122 the world will be almost perfect with that great pre/pro that would cost peanuts compared to McIntosh, Classe, Krell, Meridian, Ayre, Lexicon, tra-la-la jazz ...

- Now, we knew too about the major problems regarding TacT and their company, people, website (down and giving people viruses), and way before these few people just made this discovery.

Read what some members say, and you can easily see that all is based on just assumptions, without taking into consideration the most important and vital element; past history (UMC-1)! True FACTS! Not magic powder comin' from the mouths of certain believers in the Gods of the universe!

Me, personally, I find it totally pathetic to the extreme!
Do you think for a second that I see solidity there? ...No freekin' way Jose! :b
You gotta be kidding to just believe in words and not science based on real facts.
And the words here are totally 'cranked up', and the facts from past history led to huge deceptions. ...And still very present to this day in the hearts of so many customers (they get banned if they talk against)!

I used to believe, but I woke up! :b

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
---Hey, I just want to bring awereness to my friends here at WBF.
...Because best that Emotiva surround processor that we know (UMC-1) it ain't! ...Way far from it!

And to say that the next one will be the holy grail is pure bananas thrown to a bunch of monkeys.

:b

It's the little things... If you think this stuff isn't important, then you're not listening!

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Latest news! ...On the Emotiva XMC-1 Surround Sound Processor.

I don't know if some of you here follow what's going on at Emotiva headquarters, but myself I do.

- The XMC-1 (SSP) was first announced over five years ago! ...Yes, you've just read that right.
Then at the latest news it was supposed to be released in the fourth quarter of 2012 ...With the 'famous' Room EQ TacT.
Then, with Tact, on the first quarter of 2013. ...As of June 17, 2013 (today) there is still no XMC-1 (with and without TacT).

But just less than an hour ago it was announced that TacT was out of the equation all together; totally scrapped out!

Now for TacT's replacement, the XMC-1 "supposedly" will be wearing DIRAC!
A podcast tomorrow should reveal some more. ...I will keep track of the fact; I'll remain 'intact' with the latest news.

What a ride this has been, and still is!

* And by the way, DACMan (Keith), a member here, and Emotiva's technical guru and writer,
has some interesting stuff to say over there, but I leave it to him to share with us some more. ...Hopefully he will, because if he doesn't I will.

And when and if the XMC-1 becomes reality, then the RMC-1 should follow suit.
As for the UMC-1 (for people who don't know) it has been replaced by the UMC-200 (six months ago or so).
And as far as the UMC-500 is concerned, I just don't know.

I thought before about having a thread on the UMC-200, but I feel that the 'clientele' here at WBF is not really the type to invest $599 in a surround sound processor with an 11-band Parametric EQ for the five main channels (L, C, R, RS, LS), and a 3-band PEQ for the sub.
...No EQ at all for the Back surrounds. BUT! If only one member here request any info at all on the UMC-200, I would be delighted to share what I know if I can help. ...And I do know a thing or two, you bet!

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
One last thing; for eighteen months or so, several Emotiva Loungers (forum members) were totally ecstatic over TacT.
...Rumors abounded plentifully. ...All type of 'splendid' rumors, for a year and a half!
...It had great potential, and it is profusely and manually adjustable to your heart contentment.

But I've read from some expert audio people that DIRAC is slightly even better.
...Up we go again into the euphoria! :b ...And hopefully before HDMI 2.0 version!

*** The first ever mention of the XMC-1 was back in February 2008! ...Perhaps even in January of that year.
Back then HDMI didn't even exist! ;) ...Yes, but that was when Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA started to appear on receivers and all that jazz.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The Dirac Live 7.2 Room Correction System, supposedly implemented in the XMC-1 (not done just yet),
is "an exclusive Emotiva specific version of it."

=> http://www.dirac.se/en/consumer-products/dirac-rcs.aspx

- One guy's opinion: http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/legacy-audio-dsp-eq

* Just use a translator program software. ...Just like Dirac Live.
...I guess people eventually buying the XMC-1 will become experts with their PCs or/and Macs.

* Emotiva XMC-1 product page: http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/xmc1

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I just got a warning on AVS Forum, because I expressed my opinion about the crappy EMOTIVA products!

Don't sweat it, it's only common practice; no matter the quality of the product or not. :b

* It's been five and a half years in the making, that XMC-1 believe it or not! ...It was supposed to have this that and this that and now this that ....
By the time Venus will be in perfect line between the Earth & Moon for a Venus eclipse, there will be over three million suicides on our planet!

- Now, if you truly want to have some real challenge in your life; try your chance at the Emotiva Lounge (forums). ;)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The product is one thing, the people behind the product is another. ...And they can both give you jolts if touched with a pole. :D

* The imaginary is just that; a science-fiction movie, or a cartoon movie.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I followed Emotiva since the very beginning; and along the way I've learned some and some more.

For me it is the people who make a company, and the products they sell. ...And I don't recommend the people there, overall. ...They are illusionists.
...And the followers were/are living under the spells. ...Are they aware or not; it's tough when you're under the spell. :b
...And that XMC-1 is a 5 1/2 years illusion! ...But they love to live under its cover! ...And still now after all that time!
...Totally mind-boggling/spellbinding!

wes

Jan 24, 2013
www.blu-ray.com
I followed Emotiva since the very beginning; and along the way I've learned some and some more.

For me it is the people who make a company, and the products they sell. ...And I don't recommend the people there, overall. ...They are illusionists.
...And the followers were/are living under the spells. ...Are they aware or not; it's tough when you're under the spell. :b

Yes really bad customer service thanks for Amex :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
You mentioned it! ...Customer service; for years they played that card, but go deeper and they aren't better than anyone else.

* One quick one: Upgrading your UMC-1, and then your UMC-200!!! ...Firmware update that is. ...I can only imagine on the XMC-1, if ever they released one! ...Not the firmware, but the SSP!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing