Spectral DMA-400

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Music Lovers in SF have an ad and picture of it in the latest Absolute Sound. It looks like it's finally here. Love the slightly better casework

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
Thanks for the heads up, ack. Those are my holy grail.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
A little??? :D

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
Thanks for the pic, classic Spectral stuff. Can you comment at all on performance?! Also curious about msrp/availability....

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Thank you! I may get flamed but that sounds pretty reasonable these days :) I've got to listen to Spectral ;)

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thank you! I may get flamed but that sounds pretty reasonable these days :) I've got to listen to Spectral ;)

Be prepared to be stunned

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Be prepared to be stunned

My mind and ears are open. The only negative I see (and it's not really a negative, Per se) is that Spectral must be considered in the context of a system purchase - preamp, amp, cables (both speaker and ic's). I can't piecemeal a Spectral system.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
My mind and ears are open. The only negative I see (and it's not really a negative, Per se) is that Spectral must be considered in the context of a system purchase - preamp, amp, cables (both speaker and ic's). I can't piecemeal a Spectral system.

Yes! You can...

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
On the DMA 360 series 2, I was surprised how much improvement could be achieved when I put an FM Acoustic 268 or FM Acoustic 266 or the BALabo line stage in front of it.

On my DMC 30SS series 2 with DMA 360 series 2 set up, I had excellent results using Gotham interconnects between them.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
On the DMA 360 series 2, I was surprised how much improvement could be achieved when I put an FM Acoustic 268 or FM Acoustic 266 or the BALabo line stage in front of it.

On my DMC 30SS series 2 with DMA 360 series 2 set up, I had excellent results using Gotham interconnects between them.

Someone else who has heard the mighty FM268...how good is it exactly? As SOTA as some say? Any chance you could make a few comments? Most curious!

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi lloydelee21,

Let me start out with an all digital Spectral system connected to Magico Q5 speakers. What happened when I substituted the FM 266 for the DMC 30SS series 2 is superior gain in energy generated by the performers and a noticeably larger soundstage in all dimensions. Now, when I replaced the FM 266 for the BAlabo linestage, there is even more transparency giving me a sense of better stage lighting so that I can "see" the performers with greater clarity. Finally, substituting the FM 268 for the BAlabo, there is a rich creamy texture that is so musically engaging, easy and relaxing to hear.

As for being SOTA, I do not know, but really, who knows? Synergies play a big role in system building. My top favorites in line stages and preamps that I have heard are the top four piece Lamm line stage, the FM 268, the Audio Research SP 3 with all Telefunken military grade 12AX7 tubes and the Syd Smith modified Marantz 7.

You ought to plan a visit to Hong Kong. Go to the Sound Chamber to hear the FM system. The people there are very accomodating and will set up different systems for you to hear. You can mix and match and discover for yourself if you prefer a single brand or mix up the brands to tailor the sound to your liking. You can search google for the website of the sound chamber in Hong Kong. There is also the added attraction of the numerous excellent restaurants you can enjoy in Hong Kong.

While you are in Hong Kong, you can also walk over and visit the dealership that carries Gary's Genesis Dragon speakers. After hearing the Genesis Dragons, there are a few more high end dealerships in the same building that you can visit by just taking the elevator.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Someone else who has heard the mighty FM268...how good is it exactly? As SOTA as some say? Any chance you could make a few comments? Most curious!

Using dCS and Spectral 360. No line stage (= the best line stage ;)

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I use my Berkeley dac and EAR Acute cd player connected straight into my Spectral DMA 360 and I get very nice results.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing