Musical Affairs Crescendo SAG with a PHY driver

LCat

Aug 24, 2012
Flez007 in responce to my posting for get together for tape-o-files in NC area have noticed in pictures what besides the only pair of Perfect8 "The Force" in US I also have Musical Affairs Crescendo Loudspeakers and asked me to post about them.
http://www.musicalaffairs.com/prod/crescendo_en.php
You can read about this speaker - I have a SAG model. My model also was internaly wired with Stealth Audio Dream Speaker Cables.

Where do I start - greate little speaker with right amps - Alex Dondysh of 3D Audio Custom fame have came out to NY last year did some accoustic measurments and built a custom 4 chassie 300 B based amp for it.
Since this speaker has no tweeter responce of this amp was slightly extended on the top which hellped a lot with air - I never have a feeling what I have to have a tweeter anymore. On the bottom I suppliment them with my 4 seets of Perfect8 Subwoffers coming in at 57Hz and 8 12" drivers Driven by Symphonic line Crafft amps have no problem matching speed and resolution. Since I have fully programable digital x-over on the low pass for subs I was able to acheve near perfeect integration.

Let's move to the sound.

Phy driver seems to be much more romantic and liquid compared to Lauther but not as fast or detailed. I would choose Phy over Lauther any time of the day though- much more organic and natural.
During a time I was using Vivid Audio big GK1 driven by VAC Statements as a main speakers I used to switch to little 7wpc amps and 12 lbs speakers quite often to get my fix of open, pure and musical single driver/SET combo.
Very open, easy and effortles on the simple music they portray female voices with grace and naturalnes only my big Perfect 8 were able to achive but little munchkins did it oh so seductevley. Male voices or chamber music also were exceptional. Rock was mediocre and large scale pieces were abuisimal compared to the top tier of the food chain. Nowday Perfect8 do almoust everything better although because of the Phy certain seductivnes I still endulge time to time especialy listening to my Acoustic Solid royal Table with Ortofon MC90A as a front end - match made in heaven. Big Walker with Sigma Diamond is a bit too dynamic and dramatic for them. They also seem to image very good especialy lateral . Depth of the stage is good -better then Vivid GK1s. but not as good as Perfect 8s or our Dalli Megaline in the bedroom system.

Now lets move to their most unique feature. Probably because of ultralight constructionn they made out of 4mm thin chello birch they resonate and act as greate acoustic lenses. Placed in strategi postions marked on the floor they are improving sound of big speakers by quite a large degree. I also use them to tune tonal balance by toeing them in or out by 3-5 degree and I can change sound of an system from airy and sunny and to dark and romantic. And unlike an EQs which I can allways hear using Crescendos as an acoustic lens does not seem to intoduce a phase error. They sound beutiful even then they are not pluged in :)

Are they anythere near sheer sonic impact and excitment of Perfect 8s - no, nor should they realy be at 1/30th of the price. Can they sound greate - with custom amps and well integrated subs they can take on quite a few speakers in 100K range on certan pices of music. And they do have soul - a lots of it.

Greate speaker, wolehartedly recomended

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Thanks for the review Lcat, I am sure we will learn more from your experience on single driver technology.

I have always been curious on the Phy sound, but never had the chance to listen to them, I have some friends with Lowthers and even ultra-rare WE "A" series and, among the frequency band these speakers are capable to deliver, I find them unbeatable at miderate sound levels. (hearing Starker thru a pair of sealed-boxed WEs at Xavier's place down here was a revelation for me).

It is even more interesting to hear from you your previous soeaker set (Vivid) which are currently SOTA by all standards!

Thanks again and please post as frequently as you can.

Last edited:

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
Wow, a blast from the past......"Alex Dondysh of 3D Audio Custom fame have came out to NY last year did some accoustic measurments and built a custom 4 chassie 300 B based amp for it." I haven't heard anything about Alex in quite some time, but is quite renowned for his designs, both amplifier and digital.

I'm curious, the 300B amps he made for you....were they push/pull or single ended in design? Is he back in business again? Are you able to post his contact info for those of us that might be interested in his work?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing