Advise for best USB to SPDIF interface.

LCat

Aug 24, 2012
I currently use JKenny Hiface Mk3 and highly modified M2Tec Evo with customm batery PS. Howether as allways I'm looking to step up to the state of art. - You know that feeling.
I'v heard good and bad things about Berkley Audio, Empirical Audio Off-ramp 5 and only good things about SonicWeld.

I really only need 44.1/16 output at this time.

Any info about this interfaces.

Anything better?

Thanks
Leon

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I am really happy with my Stello unit, but I am sure there are better options out there - truth is that I plan to get rid of it once I have a USB2 DAC.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Try the MF V-Link 192. It's relatively cheap ($399 I think), goes up to 24/192, and runs on USB power, so no wall warts of separate power supply/batteries.
Performs way above way the price indicates...

alexandre

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Try the MF V-Link 192. It's relatively cheap ($399 I think), goes up to 24/192, and runs on USB power, so no wall warts of separate power supply/batteries.
Performs way above way the price indicates...

alexandre

??

Probably not what the OP is looking for...

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
??

Probably not what the OP is looking for...

Really? Why? The product is an USB>SPDIF interface, and it's way, way better than the Hiface, which is the product he's referenced.
The fact that it's just $399 doesn't mean it sucks. That's why I wrote the 2nd paragraph.
Sure, if the OP wants, he can get a dCS Puccini U-Clock, which is a wonderful converter (and a clock too), for about US$ 5k. Is it better than the V-Link? Sure it is, but not by much...

alexandre

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
As far as I can understand from digital, and particullary of USB cables and interfaces, one should be looking for a unit that actually DOES NOT carries power in the same cable, many have listed here better results thru that route.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Sure, why not. I remove my suggestion then :D

alexandre

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
As far as I can understand from digital, and particullary of USB cables and interfaces, one should be looking for a unit that actually DOES NOT carries power in the same cable, many have listed here better results thru that route.

This was in fact the rationale for my response; I confess I have not heard the Music Fidelity unit.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Thanks, Andre.

For me, no switch mode PS is better than a switch mode PS, which is what usually you'll get with most USB>SPDIF converters...

alexandre

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The Offramp 5 comes with a 30 day return policy. There is no substitute for listening in your own system. I kept mine (it replaced a HiFace EVO with the powersupply), but have not heard any of the other contenders. Just rotate a few through your system on 30 day trial, or buy used at a discount and resell if it is not up to expectations.

LCat

Aug 24, 2012
The Offramp 5 comes with a 30 day return policy. There is no substitute for listening in your own system. I kept mine (it replaced a HiFace EVO with the powersupply), but have not heard any of the other contenders. Just rotate a few through your system on 30 day trial, or buy used at a discount and resell if it is not up to expectations.
So you keept it - good - how were theey different. Also was it top of the line OffRamp? Both of my units are better than HiFace Evo with power supply - one of them is highly modified HiFace Evo with custom power supply - unit is very highly reworked with bunch of premium parts, much better SPDIF transmitter, high quality regulators and transformer coupling. Howether they barely better then my slightly moded Lynx PCI and significantly worse than Esoteric moded Esoteric P0S UV. I know it's probably worlds best transport but I'm trying to close gap enugh o be able to enjoy all the convinience of PC and stop burning my own high quality CDs which is 8 step very laubourous process taking over an hour.

LCat

Aug 24, 2012
Really? Why? The product is an USB>SPDIF interface, and it's way, way better than the Hiface, which is the product he's referenced.
The fact that it's just $399 doesn't mean it sucks. That's why I wrote the 2nd paragraph.
Sure, if the OP wants, he can get a dCS Puccini U-Clock, which is a wonderful converter (and a clock too), for about US$ 5k. Is it better than the V-Link? Sure it is, but not by much...

alexandre

As far as it's beeing better than stock Hi-Face - I belive it - thats not a great product
Here is a review of JKennny Mk1 - I'm on Mk3
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1110/m2tech_hiface_evo_dac.htm

I've tried MF V-Link 192 - not bad, but very mediocre product.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
So you keept it - good - how were theey different. Also was it top of the line OffRamp? Both of my units are better than HiFace Evo with power supply - one of them is highly modified HiFace Evo with custom power supply - unit is very highly reworked with bunch of premium parts, much better SPDIF transmitter, high quality regulators and transformer coupling. Howether they barely better then my slightly moded Lynx PCI and significantly worse than Esoteric moded Esoteric P0S UV. I know it's probably worlds best transport but I'm trying to close gap enugh o be able to enjoy all the convinience of PC and stop burning my own high quality CDs which is 8 step very laubourous process taking over an hour.

I have the top of the line model with all the bells and whistles including the monolith power supply. Main difference from what I recall is more detail. You really have to try this at home with the 30 day trial. Too many variables.

Onepoint5

Sep 23, 2011
I looked at three USB/SPDIF interfaces to buy to match up with an SPDIF only input DAC

Stello U3
Off Ramp
Audiophilleo

After a lot of reading, I settled on the audiophilleo2 at least the manufacturer guaranteed their jitter figures and it uses the natural driver from the OS for 192/24 (OSX) which I use. The noise with the Audiophilleo is just about nil, if you want to really kill it, add the Pure Power. The device uses 5V from the computer, alternatively you can use an AQVOX power supply which I didn't like, a Kingrex 5V supply was a lot better. At head-fi there is an extensive thread on this unit, it's small and compact and sually fits directly on the DAC's input. I am very happy with the unit, although not in use at the moment, I don't want to sell it, and would thoroughly recommend.

The Off Ramp uses a driver on OSX, so for me that was the death knell, sorry Mr. Nugent. Devices that rely on a driver that can change with an OS upgrade or version change is not good for longevity.
The Stello was a good second for its size, but the dealer struggled with questions, so that was the end of that.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The Halide Bridge is an excellent USB-to-SPDIF interface.

Ummm, no. It's only 24/96 (for one thing) and its audio quality even at that resolution is inferior to most of the other similarly priced or cheaper (e.g., M2Tech) items mentioned.

Addendum. Sorry, that came across as harsher than I intended. The Halide was probably good for its day, but this is an area where technology is leaping ahead. I had one in my system last summer, along with the Musicla Fidleity V-Link 192 and the M2Tech HiFace2, and it was the worst of the three. Good sounding, but lacking both the dynamics and the detail of the other two, and actually not as good as my Oppo disc player feeding into the same DAC.

Last edited:

asindc

Sep 27, 2012
Ummm, no. It's only 24/96 (for one thing) and its audio quality even at that resolution is inferior to most of the other similarly priced or cheaper (e.g., M2Tech) items mentioned.

Addendum. Sorry, that came across as harsher than I intended. The Halide was probably good for its day, but this is an area where technology is leaping ahead. I had one in my system last summer, along with the Musicla Fidleity V-Link 192 and the M2Tech HiFace2, and it was the worst of the three. Good sounding, but lacking both the dynamics and the detail of the other two, and actually not as good as my Oppo disc player feeding into the same DAC.

I've only compared the Halide to the origina M2Tech HiFace, so I cannot comment on the others you mentioned. Time marches on, I suppose.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing