Alexandria X-2 Series 2 In the Room

zbub

Jun 27, 2013
Greetings from another X2.2 user!
Personaly I have had several audition sessions with XLF at my dealer's place, and I would say XLF are smoother and warmer not only in the treble region but down to midrange as well. This was surprising at first, as I thought the main difference to the X2.2 was the silk dome tweeter (well and the port as well). I am not sure if the upper modules are larger with XLF but I am sure the crossover netwok should be different.
For me though, I still DO NOT have complaints on my X2.2 even after spending hours and hours with XLF. I had to work a bit to tame the occasional brightness of the Ti tweeter, but the sound I have in my system right now is anything but bright. If I can find an used XLF at a good price I may consider the switch, otherwise I am perfectly OK with what I have right now.

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
I just switched from the X2.2 to the XLFs with a Thor's Hammer Subwoofer. Boulder 3060 on the XLFs and a Boulder 2060 on the Thor.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Congratulations. I have not had the opportunity to hear XLF's with Boulder gear. I would think it is a great combination.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I just switched from the X2.2 to the XLFs with a Thor's Hammer Subwoofer. Boulder 3060 on the XLFs and a Boulder 2060 on the Thor.

Congratulations. I have not had the opportunity to hear XLF's with Boulder gear. I would think it is a great combination.

I have heard X2s with Boulder 2060 and thought it was an excellent combination. My preference for the Gryphon gear with big Wilsons is only a personal preference. Congrats to Chuck as well...look forward to reading all about the setup!

In fact, i am actually more curious about the Thor than i am about the fantastic XLF! Would love to hear more about how you feel it adds to the XLF presentation!

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
The Thor/Boulder combo has been a surprise. Heard the XLFs with Thor/Parasound at RMAF and Thor/Anthem at the dealer, so didn't expect much. XLF run full range with Thor/Boulder supplementing --seamlessly adds the bass I never knew was missing. It is a fuller soundstage, if that makes sense. IMO the Thor needs a great amp to really work in a 2 channel music system, otherwise lack of control can be distracting. For movie soundtracks it is great.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats!!! Its also about setup i imagine. Even with my relatively 'tiny' Velodyne DD18, setup has been critical so that i dont hear it except for the sense of weight/realism/surround that we get when its on.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I feel the same. I prefer the silk dome tweeter but at the end of the day I am very happy with my X2 series ll

I prefer the silk dome tweeter on the Alexia and the XLF, but with Steve's top-of-the-line Lamm electronics and careful acoustic room treatment I completely forget that Steve's speakers use the metal dome tweeter.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . In fact, i am actually more curious about the Thor than i am about the fantastic XLF! Would love to hear more about how you feel it adds to the XLF presentation!

I share this curiosity. The Thors have always been to me enigmatic, mystical beasts.

Are you using one Watch Controller for both Thors, or does each Thor have its own Watch Controller? (Wilson Audio actually recommends a Watch Controller for each Thor for maximum room integration flexibility in difficult rooms or set-ups.)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
If the question was for me I have to say there is no single answer but several contributing factors. I was very happy with my 111F's and at that time the only speakers I felt challenged my MBL's were its bigger siblings the 101MK2, the Xtremes, Sonus Faber Aida's and the Wilson X2S2's and XLF's. The Xtremes and XLF'S are just too expensive and for me same with Aida's. It is also quite possible these 3 speakers are too large for my 2-Chanel room and moving my system to one of our larger rooms might not get the acceptance I would desire.

I was keeping my eyes out for 101's. The issues here included no local dealer and MBL's really sound best driven by their own amps.

Thank you, Jim.

It is very interesting to me when an audiophile switches from one type of speaker (omnidirectional Radialstrahler) to a completely different design (dynamic driver). Looking back on the MBLs and comparing your memory of them with your Wilsons I would be grateful for your comments on differences in sound-staging. Do you miss the omnidirectional sound of the MBLs? Or do you now prefer the more clearly-delineated center imaging of the Wilsons? Which do you think is more true-to-life?

PS: I know that many people feel the MBL speakers sound best when driven by MBL amps. But it is not clear to me why this should be. I would think that a high current amp with proper impedance matching for the MBL speakers from another manufacturer should work well too. I can report that I liked very much the way hybrid Aesthetix Atlas amps sounded on MBL 101E Mk. IIs.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
To me the MBLs sounded much better driven by Spectrals and Ypsilon

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
1 Thor, 1 Watch Controller

Chick

Im still trying to find out if you are running your XLF full range with Thor to supplement the bottom end or you cross over at what frequency

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
Both. The controller allows me to set it up two ways, one for 2 channel music (ARC Ref40) and the other for HT (Anthem D2V 3D).

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Thank you, Jim.

It is very interesting to me when an audiophile switches from one type of speaker (omnidirectional Radialstrahler) to a completely different design (dynamic driver). Looking back on the MBLs and comparing your memory of them with your Wilsons I would be grateful for your comments on differences in sound-staging. Do you miss the omnidirectional sound of the MBLs? Or do you now prefer the more clearly-delineated center imaging of the Wilsons? Which do you think is more true-to-life?

PS: I know that many people feel the MBL speakers sound best when driven by MBL amps. But it is not clear to me why this should be. I would think that a high current amp with proper impedance matching for the MBL speakers from another manufacturer should work well too. I can report that I liked very much the way hybrid Aesthetix Atlas amps sounded on MBL 101E Mk. IIs.

Ron
Good question. I would be the first to admit that MBL's might not be for every listener. When MBL's are properly set-up the room is almost energized by the music. The speakers disappear and the soundstage is similar to what I hear at most live performances even if the source is a studio recording. There are many listeners who prefer their music be focused in a narrow band between the speakers and I do not challenge that choice. It is a wonderful illusion on many recordings. Until I decided to purchase my X2's I really thought the I would stick with MBL and move up to 101 MK II's at some point ( and dream of Xtreme's in one of my large rooms) I would listen to other speakers and always felt there was something missing. I knew it would require a speaker with the capability of producing a tall soundstage to get me to swap out the 111F's and the X2's do just that.

To answer your first question the X2's are truer to what a studio recording sounds like while the MBL's sound more like I am listening to the band/group/orchestra actually playing the music.

The best set-up I have ever heard was at the MBL dealer/distributer in Singapore. It was a audio epiphany and nothing before or since has come close to the top of the line Xtreme set-up. Not XLF's with dual Thors Hammers, not Magico S7's with a pair of their subs, not a all Gryphon set-up...............

My Momentum's matched very nicely with the 111F's and handled them much better than McIntosh 1.2k's did so there are other amps that will do the job. i just know what the MBL gear can get them to do.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Ron
Good question. I would be the first to admit that MBL's might not be for every listener. When MBL's are properly set-up the room is almost energized by the music. The speakers disappear and the soundstage is similar to what I hear at most live performances even if the source is a studio recording. There are many listeners who prefer their music be focused in a narrow band between the speakers and I do not challenge that choice. It is a wonderful illusion on many recordings. Until I decided to purchase my X2's I really thought the I would stick with MBL and move up to 101 MK II's at some point ( and dream of Xtreme's in one of my large rooms) I would listen to other speakers and always felt there was something missing. I knew it would require a speaker with the capability of producing a tall soundstage to get me to swap out the 111F's and the X2's do just that.

To answer your first question the X2's are truer to what a studio recording sounds like while the MBL's sound more like I am listening to the band/group/orchestra actually playing the music.

The best set-up I have ever heard was at the MBL dealer/distributer in Singapore. It was a audio epiphany and nothing before or since has come close to the top of the line Xtreme set-up. Not XLF's with dual Thors Hammers, not Magico S7's with a pair of their subs, not a all Gryphon set-up...............

My Momentum's matched very nicely with the 111F's and handled them much better than McIntosh 1.2k's did so there are other amps that will do the job. i just know what the MBL gear can get them to do.

plus 2. I have heard the same system in Singapore. sounded amazing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing