Alexandria X-2 Series 2 In the Room

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I thought I would post a picture of my Alexandria X2 Series 2 that have been in my 2-channel room for about two weeks now. -2.JPG

These were taken the day after installation while I was waiting for my updated Transparent Reference speaker cables to arrive. The new cables are breaking in nicely and my listening sessions have been extended and enjoyable.

Jim

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Do you find they overload the room at all

How far apart are they and what's the distance to your ear position

They are 8 1/2 feet apart from the center of the speakers. My head is just over 12' away.

They surely can overload the room but even when I am listening at higher levels averaging ~90dB there are no issues. I am fortunate that the walls behind and partway along the side walls are concrete with earth behind that.

If I was to move them to one of my larger rooms I have would have spousal issues with the sound traveling to the main floor.

Jim

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Check out some corner bass traps behind the speakers. You would be amazed what they can do for the sound....flattening the room frequency response will increase your listening enjoyment immensely.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Christian
I have EchoBusters in the corner behind each speaker. You just cannot see them due to the size of the X2's.

Jim

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
That makes sense. If you find that it's a bit too bassy, you makes want to treat a bit more. The room looks great. Love the color you chose.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
RoomSized.JPG
That makes sense. If you find that it's a bit too bassy, you makes want to treat a bit more. The room looks great. Love the color you chose.

Thanks. Here is a photo of the room before I had the Momentums or X2's. The room is treated pretty good but there is always tweaking to be performed.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Check out some corner bass traps behind the speakers. You would be amazed what they can do for the sound....flattening the room frequency response will increase your listening enjoyment immensely.

Although I am still in the learning and in the dangerous enchantment phase :) I have found that using two properly tuned limp membrane bass traps and several porous absorbers can have a large effect in sound quality. But before starting you should measure of have your room measured for decays. You should get adequate frequency and time resolution in the low frequencies. Focusing in the proper problematic zones will reduce the treatment to a minimum with great results.

Attachments

• aa1.jpg
    aa1.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 2,320

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Jim

it looks to me as if your speakers are sitting along the long wall (18') rather than the narrower wall (15') or am I mistaken

Nope. Look at the pictures closely and you will see some tell-tale cues that show he moved the speakers so they are against the short room dimension.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Nope. Look at the pictures closely and you will see some tell-tale cues that show he moved the speakers so they are against the short room dimension.

I should have said his MBL's were along the long wall and X-2's along the short wall which is the way I would do it

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I should have said his MBL's were along the long wall and X-2's along the short wall which is the way I would do it

I believe that would be correct and if the Wilson's work in his room, they should be just fine in the new room you have planned.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Gorgeous! And those D'Agostino amps sure are pretty too.

Couldn't have said it better myself, Lee. That sure is one gorgeous system. What do you have running the front end, if you don't mind me asking, Jim?

Tom

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Why is the short wall desirable, Steve?

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Couldn't have said it better myself, Lee. That sure is one gorgeous system. What do you have running the front end, if you don't mind me asking, Jim?

Tom

Tom
I recently sold my McIntosh C-1000 and was using my Wadia Series 9 directly into the Momentum's. This sounded really good with the MBL's but I missed having SACD and 24/188 & 24/192 capabilities. I went back to using my MCD-1100 which probably has 97% of the Wadia's sound and gave me back the SACD and Hi Rez capabilities and allows me to connect my Olive 4HD, MS-300 and SonoS unit. That is what I am using currently.

If go back to having pre-amp I have been considering the Ayre KX-R, the Pass X-30, or D'Agostino's long delayed unit. The rumor is that Dan's is coming in pretty pricey and that is for something I really do not require. The other option might be going with the Burmester 111. I could eliminate all of my other digital sources and still have inputs for an analog source

Jim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing