MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Glory

Oct 28, 2011
Destin, FL.
MA,

Dale Pitcher is right.

One of the reasons I bought into this speaker is from Rodger's praise of it. I did buy a Genesis S 4/8 sub to run with the MMM1.
Coming in the Post on Monday. This speAker has to out run my Zu Audio Def2.

Doctor O

Jul 31, 2012
Hi Davey,

I totally disagree with you. We should absolutely keep the Magico and any other 20k+ loudspeakers in this discussion. FORGET PRICE, it has nothing to do with reality.

Davey, I invite you to listen again. I really believe you might feel differently if you gave them another chance. Since you can't make it to RMAF this year, go listen at Kevin's house. Please consider this an open invitation.

BTW, Kevin, who you know is a professional trombonist will be happy to play along side the MMMicroOnes. Feel free to bring your guitar. :)

I'm a recent owner of the MM MicroOne. I think Jonathan's tactic in his comment above reagrding keeping the Magico Q1 and any other 20K speaker is a double-edged sword. Comparing the MMM-1 (MM MicroOne) to the Magico Q1 is a smart move on Jonathan's part because if his speaker approahes or even beats the Q1 that says a whole lot for his speaker, and people will purchase more of them if they are considered in the same leauge at 1/10th the price. The smart move is keeping this comapriosn between his 2-way to the Magico 2-way..., by beating the Magico he will gain a lot of credibility and wil lattract consumers to his product.

However, the double-edged sword in his statement is opening it up to any 20K+ speaker. This opens up the playing field to comparisons of his MMM-1 to 3 and 4-way designs up to 20K. In this regard, the MMM-1 could face stiffer competition as the one critical flaw of the MMM-1 is the fact that it is a 2-way speaker and limited in low freqeuncy response and mid-bass as the woofers are trying to cover a broad range instead of using multiple drivers in a 3-way to focus on each of the key areas (bass/mid/Tweet). I'm not trying to be negative about the MMM-1, I'm just saying that it has inherent, fundamental limitations in its design given that it is a 2-way.

I think a 3-way speaker with better low frequency performance, and comparable mid/highs of the MMM-1 for under 20K would be the superior speaker to the MMM-1. Not sure if it exisits but my point is that comparing a 2-way to a 3-way eventually becomes unfair and begins to favor the 3-way. Hence the double-edged swoard in his statement.

I'll reserve feedback on my impressions of the sound until it has at least 300 hours of break-in; but as good as it is so far, I suspect it will not provide the same musical pleasure, completeness and fullness as my 3-way Ascendo ZF3. This is my first foray into the 2-way camp so hopefully some of my initial thoughts will be dispelled upon break-in.

Also, I think I can say that in the 2-way speaker camp, the MMM-1 has significant strengths and at the price there will be very little competiton. I haven't heard the Q1, but did hear the M1 a long time ago and I would not pay 20K for a 2-way after hearing the MMM-1's....I don't think I would pay 20K for a 2-way period...

Andrew

Last edited:

Glory

Oct 28, 2011
Destin, FL.
Doc O,

Your speaker retail in Poland: €27.500/pr.

So you think they are better than the MM1? Maybe add a sub to the MM1 .Keep us posted.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
Hi everybody I'm new here and I was wondering how these speakers sound with much cheaper gear ?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
LOL, that's the $64K question..;)

I guess I missed the humor in Audio Karma’s question. I don’t get the “LOL.” Maybe you can explain what the wink emoticon infers as well.

Speakers can only sound as good as the source material and the electronics do. It goes without saying that if you want to know how good your speakers really are, listen to them with the best source material and electronics you can get your hands on. If speakers are neutral tellers of the truth, they will also reveal the differences between lesser quality source material and electronics.

So the question I have is that if a given set of speakers sounds outstanding with great source material and great electronics and yet reveals the shortcomings of lesser source material and electronics, is the speaker to blame for not sounding the same with lesser quality source material and electronics? Should anyone be surprised by that? I think not.

Champ04

Sep 24, 2012
Illinois
I heard both the MMMicro1 and the Q1 at last year's RMAF as well.
There is no doubt that I preferred the MMMicro1. It's not the best speaker I've ever heard. But it's certainly one of the best two way speakers (in a smallish room) that I've ever heard. My only real complaint about anything in that room was that I tried stopping by 5 different times to get a decent listen but it seemed that there was ALWAYS people talking over the music. Annoying, to say the least, but also indicative of the enthusiasm for the performance.

Jonathan is absolutely correct in keeping very expensive speakers as part of the dialogue. Not only are some things priced with massive margins to begin with, but just because a particular method of engineering is expensive doesn't automatically make it superior or, in some cases, even valid. This isn't to say that I think Magico's methods are invalid. I'm only making the point that price is really one of the least consistent indicators of performance in this business.
I happen to also have extensive experience with Focal's Utopia two way monitor as well as the Wilson Duette and a handful of other very expensive two way monitor speakers. And I can say, without reservation, that even if I had no clue what the prices were on all of these, I'd still choose the MMMicro one.

In fact, I tried to buy a pair last year. Unfortunately, lost contact with JT. Now I'm pretty much waiting for the day I can get the product on the same day I lay down the cash.
FWIW.

Glory

Oct 28, 2011
Destin, FL.
Yes the American dream, live in debt. Take your blinking CC and tie it up for this speaker @ its asking price. Why? Because it's a steal of a deal for all the cheese Wizz players out there. When the price goes up all the CB's will come out and B about the up movement of $$$. Well you have your chance , buy now DI. All cry babies will be vaporized (joke). Really when you hear these guys you will know the $$$ has to go up. Oh that will take me out of the game if the $$$ goes up. Well play now!!

This guy at 3 hours ran past my 10K plus Zu Audio Def 2 speakers. At 6/9 hours I heard tunes coming out of them that was in line with the much praise it has received in the Forums. Want bottom end go get a JL. Get two of them!!

So you want a deal. Ask mom for 2K and have yourself a blast. Very few times in this insane hobby do you find gold this pure. Def 15K+ speaker going on here.

I feel like little Mike L Jr. now.

Last edited:

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Reading this thread and the comments comparing the MMMicro1 and the Q1 reminded me of observations posted by Carl, Steve and I on page 3 of this thread over 1 year ago, at which time all 3 of us posted that, at least at that show back in 2011, we all preferred the MMMicro1.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
Yes the American dream, live in debt. Take your blinking CC and tie it up for this speaker @ its asking price. Why? Because it's a steal of a deal for all the cheese Wizz players out there. When the price goes up all the CB's will come out and B about the up movement of $$$. Well you have your chance , buy now DI. All cry babies will be vaporized (joke). Really when you hear these guys you will know the $$$ has to go up. Oh that will take me out of the game if the $$$ goes up. Well play now!!

This guy at 3 hours ran past my 10K plus Zu Audio Def 2 speakers. At 6/9 hours I heard tunes coming out of them that was in line with the much praise it has received in the Forums. Want bottom end go get a JL. Get two of them!!

So you want a deal. Ask mom for 2K and have yourself a blast. Very few times in this insane hobby do you find gold this pure. Def 15K+ speaker going on here.

I feel like little Mike L Jr. now.

Glory

These speakers have plugged ports, are you listening to yours with the ports plugged or unplugged ?

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
Has anyone heard the MMMicroOne with electronics other than what we have always heard them played rather than $85K of cable, amps and preamps etc.

When I heard the speaker on many occasions it was always played with electronics and cabling that almost certainly will never be used with it. Using these electronics the speaker was magnificent for $2500 but honestly I would like to hear from others who have the speaker and are running electronics consistant with the cost of the speaker

Here's a MM Micro One owner with very inexpensive gear.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1294443799&openflup&256&4#256

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Audio_Karma, are you looking at the same gear that I am....this guy owns a CAT Legend, JL 2 Signature, a TW Raven AC and a Wadia 861...none of these pieces are "bargain basement", IMHO.
Sure he mentions that he took a listen with a Exposure 2012S2, but in what context??
To be clear, I'm NOT saying these speakers are in any way bad, particularly for the money being asked...just that they can be bettered by other speakers that are out there....including the other up-line
speakers in the EA line ( or is that not true, JTinn..;) ) One just has to be able to hear what they can do, but perhaps more importantly what they cannot do.:D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing