Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOne loudspeakers

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
im sure JT still has heartburn over sterophiles tests of the playback designs dac and darteel, two prod lines he dist. JA said "I feel that the MPS-5's measured performance precludes an unreserved recommendation" and about the dartzeel int "Disappointing is the word I would use overall to describe the darTZeel's measurements..."

das

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2010
www.soundstagenetwork.com
On second thought I think MBA has a different slant on this SS wanna review.

I hope I'm not violating any rules but responding to this. I have to point out that I think that something has been mistaken here. Is there more paranoia than on these forums than I thought? Let me explain...

Anyone who knows me knows I tend to champion low- and moderate-priced stuff over the really expensive things. The fact is that I often see more value, and sometimes even more performance, in these more reasonably priced products.

So, when I saw what appears to be a well-made, very-reasonably priced loudspeaker with some heady claims and, also, some very positive comments, my first thought was: "Hello, let's get this thing in." But also know that when I'm interested in something, I not only want to to hear it, I want to measure it, too.

Perhaps because the post was done publicly it was seen as some sort of challenge to bring something down. On the contrary, it was done to say, "Ok, this is talked about publicly in this forum, we're willing to bring it in and have the requisite measurements done." That's it, that's all.

If the company doesn't want the credibility of our measurement process, that's their choice. But I can tell you -- those who have a very good product that sounds good, measures well, and is reasonably priced usually reap the benefits of greatly improved sales. The companies that happily submit their speakers, no questions asked, know this.

Doug Schneider
www.SoundStageNetwork.com

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
How reviewers choose to review a product is not what I am talking about. I simply believe it is unseemly for reviewers to solicit manufacturers for products to review (and vice versa) on WBF. This business is best transacted directly between reviewers and manufacturers. Discussing the merits of the reviewer's process is a completely different topic.

Last edited:

das

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2010
www.soundstagenetwork.com
How reviewers choose to review a product is not what I am talking about. I simply believe it is unseemly for reviewers to solicit manufacturers for products to review (and vice versa) on WBF. This business is best transacted directly between reviewers and manufacturers. Discussing the merits of the reviewer's process is a completely different topic.

That's perfectly fair. Although we were asked to write about the review-procurement process in another thread, so there seems to be some interest on the subject.

Doug Schneider

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
That's perfectly fair. Although we were asked to write about the review-procurement process in another thread, so there seems to be some interest on the subject.

Doug Schneider

Write about it without reference to any specific manufacturer or product. Big difference.

Lee

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
Well... all I can say is that I'm glad I don't rely on measurements to determine what sounds good to me.

Measurements cannot convey the emotional connection that one has with these products. In fact I could care less what measurements look like as I don't have a machine in my head that constantly reads the information to determine whether or not something measures well.

My ears do a good enough job to give me enough data to procure products that add to MY listening enjoyment.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
From the midbass up, this speaker will clean the clock of most of the $50k-plus speakers often talked about on these boards.

Is the Magico Q5 on that list?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
It might be just me, but I don't think WBF should be used as a platform for reviewers to solicit products for review or vice versa.

Steve and Amir, thoughts?

I don't see why not. Contrary to popular belief, reviewers, manufacturers, and importers/distributors don't have a direct pipeline to each other. Often reviews materialize
in the strangest ways. I think this can ONLY be good for consumers..to have lesser known products written about by credible journalists.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Doug Schneider

Doug, for the record, I don't see ANYTHING unseemly about soliciting reviews in forums. How can it be unseemly when there is no unethical behavior and the exchange of information is above board
with for all to see...seems to me this would be beneficial.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

I am afraid I don't agree. I have seen reviews arranged on message boards for 5 years now. It REALLY is no big deal. I would think this would be welcomed by all..so it would be clear
there were no secret deals, reviews in exchange for advertising, or any other nonsense.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I hope I'm not violating any rules but responding to this. I have to point out that I think that something has been mistaken here. Is there more paranoia than on these forums than I thought? Let me explain...

Anyone who knows me knows I tend to champion low- and moderate-priced stuff over the really expensive things. The fact is that I often see more value, and sometimes even more performance, in these more reasonably priced products.

So, when I saw what appears to be a well-made, very-reasonably priced loudspeaker with some heady claims and, also, some very positive comments, my first thought was: "Hello, let's get this thing in." But also know that when I'm interested in something, I not only want to to hear it, I want to measure it, too.

Perhaps because the post was done publicly it was seen as some sort of challenge to bring something down. On the contrary, it was done to say, "Ok, this is talked about publicly in this forum, we're willing to bring it in and have the requisite measurements done." That's it, that's all.

If the company doesn't want the credibility of our measurement process, that's their choice. But I can tell you -- those who have a very good product that sounds good, measures well, and is reasonably priced usually reap the benefits of greatly improved sales. The companies that happily submit their speakers, no questions asked, know this.

Doug Schneider

As a fellow (full time, I might add) reviewer, I did not see it as a challenge Doug. I saw it as a straight offer.

JT was perfectly within his right to refuse, but that is the way it goes.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Jonathan wasn't afraid to send the PD MPS-5 to Stereophile and you see where that got him. JA didn't like the measurements and from then on the machine has been clouded by that one article!

The MM3 doesn't come up on great speaker conversations because of its price. I'd put it up against any speaker in the world. Again, I'd say it's ONE of the greatest speakers made.... that being said, and here is my disclaimer, I'd love to have a pair of XLFs or Sentinals or Q7s or Arrakis or Grande Utopia III or...????/

Honestly, nobody gave a crap about what JA said. Mikey Fremer and a bunch of guys at PFO use PD as their reference....I think the brand has done well.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Well... all I can say is that I'm glad I don't rely on measurements to determine what sounds good to me.

Measurements cannot convey the emotional connection that one has with these products. In fact I could care less what measurements look like as I don't have a machine in my head that constantly reads the information to determine whether or not something measures well.

My ears do a good enough job to give me enough data to procure products that add to MY listening enjoyment.

Eddie,

I'm on the same camp.
I've read JA's review of the darTZeel, and still bought one. It's by far the best amp I've heard, and I've had some heavyweights pass through here. OTOH, I've heard the big Halcro monoblocks, one of the best measured amplifiers at Stereophile, and it sounded like sh*t, a dry and empty sound, with no harmonics.
Besides, I only have basic knowledge of what goes on in these measurements, so I'm not able to fully grasp them anyway. So I stick with what I know and understand, which is my good old hearing...

alexandre

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Eddie,

I'm on the same camp.
I've read JA's review of the darTZeel, and still bought one. It's by far the best amp I've heard,
and I've had some heavyweights pass through here. OTOH, I've heard the big Halcro monoblocks, one of the best measured amplifiers at Stereophile, and it sounded like sh*t, a dry and empty sound, with no harmonics.
Besides, I only have basic knowledge of what goes on in these measurements, so I'm not able to fully grasp them anyway. So I stick with what I know and understand, which is my good old hearing...

alexandre

I agree. I love my Dartzeel more than any amp I've heard. Period.

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
I agree. I love my Dartzeel more than any amp I've heard. Period.

+1,
Same here, I've been through some heavy weights as well & the darTZeel gear / Evolution Acoustics MM3's have been awesome Match for me.
The Micro's will suit the second set up just fine.
F the measurements to a extent, people need to trust their ears as well!

rlawry

Sep 18, 2012
I am new to WBF and this is my first post, although I have posted to a number of other audio forums in the past. I have also followed the Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOne thread and wanted to give my take on these speakers, which I have now owned for a couple of weeks and heard at a recent Newport Beach Show. I agree with others who have said this speaker punches well above its weight and who also say that it is one of the best speakers at any price. Most speakers sound "highfi-ish" to me, i.e. they are weighted around low treble brightness, prominent and often overwhelming, boomy bass, a flat soundstage, and a lean, hyper-detailed, clinical sound that doesn't sound much like music to me. I know this sound when I hear it and it was rampant at the NB Show, often with highly regarded brands like some previously mentioned. I also know when I don't hear it and the MMicroOnes don't have it. Conversely, they sound much more like live music, having a presence, an immediacy, a gorgeous midrange while still presenting a wealth of detail instead of performing as an analytical tool designed to determine what is on a recording. Yes, they are not the last word in bass, but I easily fixed this with my JL Audio sub, although I maintain that once you hear the EA midrange magic, who cares about bass? I think Jonathan Tinn maintains that this sound is independent of price, and I agree, although the relatively few times I have heard it has been with expensive speakers. This is probably due to the fact that audio shows and dealer setups have devolved into high-priced equipment showcases, and yes, I heard it at the show in a few rooms with speakers costing $18K and up. The only other reasonably priced speaker I heard at the NB Show that had some of this midrange magic was with some FritzSpeakers that were in the same price range as the EA speakers. I am old enough to know that not everyone likes what I like, but apparently enough do to make this new EA speaker a hit. I have another well-regarded monitor speaker that has absolutely none, I mean nil, of this midrange magic and will shortly appear for sale on Audiogon. BTW, I am in a small room and sit nearfield, using some expensive solid-state and tube gear with a good analog front end. Oh, and one more thing: although I am trained as an engineer, measurements are important only as a tool to design good sound. After all, I do not call up my friends and say "You have to come over and see my new speakers. You cannot believe how well they measure!"

rlawry

Sep 18, 2012
I have an Essence tubed preamp, Essence solid-state amp, Manley Steelhead phono stage, SME Model 20/2 turntable, Graham Phantom tonearm, Lyra Titan i cartridge, JL Audio F113 sub, Intuitive Design cables and power bridge, Pioneer Elite PD-91 CD player, Musical Fidelity A324 DAC, NOS tubes, a number of tweaks. Hope this helps. Roger

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have an Essence tubed preamp, Essence solid-state amp, Manley Steelhead phono stage, SME Model 20/2 turntable, Graham Phantom tonearm, Lyra Titan i cartridge, JL Audio F113 sub, Intuitive Design cables and power bridge, Pioneer Elite PD-91 CD player, Musical Fidelity A324 DAC, NOS tubes, a number of tweaks. Hope this helps. Roger

Electronics from Dale Pitcher? :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing