Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOne loudspeakers

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
I posted this on another site last week & will add to it at the end:

I received my speakers Tuesday. ( 9/4/12 )
They are gorgeous & let it be know I also own the Evolution MM3's.
I have the luxury of using mine with both high end equipment
(darTZeel) & some moderate priced mono blocks ( Odyssey Khartagos ).
My opinions will be posted as some time passes on both systems. I want to allow for a bit of break-in.

Having said all of this, these do sound very very good right out of the box. I was pleasantly surprised!!! NO not really, I knew they would be of high caliper.
I'm really amazed at how low these baby's go for such small drivers. Are the they last word in the lower octave compared to the MM3's, well no but they will surprise you.

Highly recommended & more to come as I'm sure others will chime in as they set theirs up.

******Let me add.. after continuous play in & out of both systems for over a week ( what a hassle moving speakers around ) I'm still surprised at these little speakers.
To answer Steve's question about how they fair with modest Amps or equipment I would have to say early on in this process that they do very very well.
Of course what speaker would not benefit from top notch gear & source material. That is a given.
On the Odyssey mono's & with my home made cables they still sounded great with all of the characteristics of the main system.
Excellent soundstaging & image, the speakers just disappear. Nice detail & transparent.
Are they better with the darTZeel front end ... of course! Dynamics & a bit more of of what I already mentioned with the dart gear. But these baby's will surprise you even with modest gear.
They are worth searching out for a listen no matter the gear.

BTW: I had 2 friends in for a listen over the weekend.. They sent their checks in the next day.

I will try to post more after considerable breakin.

Gary

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Sorry about the enthusiasm. :)

I know that Jonathan will have them again this year in Denver. He told me he will put the BMC integrated and the mps-3 in front of them. We will see how it sounds then. As an avid BMC'er, i think i have a pretty good idea what it will sound like. :)

I haven't compared the micro to every speaker on the list. However, I would confidently assert that the micro was a better performer than the Magico Q1 last year in Denver, which also had some high dollar gear in front of them.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Sorry about the enthusiasm. :)

I know that Jonathan will have them again this year in Denver. He told me he will put the BMC integrated and the mps-3 in front of them. We will see how it sounds then. As an avid BMC'er, i think i have a pretty good idea what it will sound like. :)

I haven't compared the micro to every speaker on the list. However, I would confidently assert that the micro was a better performer than the Magico Q1 last year in Denver, which also had some high dollar gear in front of them.

I thought the Q1 had greater range than the MMMicroOne however the Q1 is 10X the cost of the MMMicroOne

Steve Williams

these drivers

P1016532.jpg

vs this driver

p898061678-3.jpg

which do you think goes lower

Regardless, like you I have constantly put the MMMIcroOne speaker in my top 5 at shows

IMO the Q1 is a direct rival of such speakers as the Duette from Wilson not the MMMicroOne

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
The spec sheet says that the q1 is flat to 32Hz and the micro is flat to 35hz. So, you are correct. However, the room setup last year in Denver was much more bass favorable for Jonathan's room. I didn't measure with a mic, but I would bet that the micros were flat to a lower frequency in room.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike,

How do you like the Unifield 3 speakers and how do they fair with the MMicro1?

i prefer the performance of the MicroMini 1 in the show rooms (Denver and Newport), to the Unifield 3 in my system. and my system has multiple advantages to the show systems. room, power grid, zero ambient noise, etc, etc.

which is not a knock on the Unifield 3....which does nothing wrong and many things quite right. the Unifield 3 is better than many other speakers in it's price range ($15k list). it's a bit easier load than the MM1 too.

but the detail and transparency of the MM1 is on another level. really the MM1 is a remarkable speaker any way you slice it. it's stupid good.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Mike,

Your room is a hundred times better acoustically than the show rooms but it's also almost 3 times larger ;)

That said +/- 3dB at 35 Hz in room is VERY respectable for a monitor. One wouldn't be missing much with most music. At least if one wasn't spoiled by true flat response into the 20s and teens. :D

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike,

Your room is a hundred times better acoustically than the show rooms but it's also almost 3 times larger ;)

That said +/- 3dB at 35 Hz in room is VERY respectable for a monitor. One wouldn't be missing much with most music. At least if one wasn't spoiled by true flat response into the 20s and teens. :D

this has little or nothing to do with bass extension or room loading. although i'm aware of what the Unifield 3's are not doing the bass my MM3's did, i can live without that and not get my panties in a bunch. i'm ignoring the added body of the MM1's at the shows due to the smaller room. it's the veiling or lack thereof where the rubber hits the road. and the MM1's play with the big boys in that area unlike other modestly priced speakers.

i had a pair of Marten Dukes for a year when i did multi-channel; a very good, clean sounding, small monitor ($7k+ list price). i did try those in 2 channel. they had the accuton ceramic mid-range like the MM3's (not the exact same driver but a similar sounding driver). the Dukes are less veiled than the Unifield 3's. the MM1's are less veiled than the Dukes in my personal reference perception.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
On the several occasions that I have heard the MM 1's, one thing I thought was consistent, was a band of what I perceived to be glare or brightness in the high end when I was hearing reproduction of brass instruments.
I cannot say that I heard this when I listened to the Magico Mini 11's or other Magico speakers utilizing the beryllium driver. OTOH, the price difference between the MM1's and the Magico's is huge. For that difference, one can certainly forgive a few foibles with the MM1's:D

Steve Williams

On the several occasions that I have heard the MM 1's, one thing I thought was consistent, was a band of what I perceived to be glare or brightness in the high end when I was hearing reproduction of brass instruments.
I cannot say that I heard this when I listened to the Magico Mini 11's or other Magico speakers utilizing the beryllium driver. OTOH, the price difference between the MM1's and the Magico's is huge. For that difference, one can certainly forgive a few foibles with the MM1's:D

I'm not understanding why we are comparing the MMOne with the Magico Q1

Steve Williams

Because they're in the same league and can go up against a $25k speaker!

That's your opinion Bruce. I don't happen to agree with it:D. IMO, the MM1's aren't even in the same league as the older Mini 11's, never mind the Q1's.

Bruce

IMO we are comparing apples and oranges here. A very good apple and a very good orange. Different flavors but one is not in the same league as the other IMHO and I don't have a pony in this one. I remember the first time Jonathan played the MMMicroOne for me I was astonished how good they were. I asked the price and he said 25 upon which I asked $25K. Having said that I am surprised that some here are trying to suggest the MM goes as deep as the Q1. That wasn't what I heard quite honestly.

Again two very good but different speakers

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Without a doubt, i think one can say that the MM1's are an incredible buy at their current asking price of $2500-. No other speaker that I can think of competes at that price point; BUT IMHO as one goes up in price,then the field begins to widen considerably and I can think of several small speakers that are superior in many ways. As Steve so aptly points out, then we begin to compare apples and oranges:).

phillipK

Oct 23, 2010
Without a doubt, i think one can say that the MM1's are an incredible buy at their current asking price of $2500-. No other speaker that I can think of competes at that price point; BUT IMHO as one goes up in price,then the field begins to widen considerably and I can think of several small speakers that are superior in many ways. As Steve so aptly points out, then we begin to compare apples and oranges:).

I have recently hooked up my old Epos ES11 (~$900 when new) to my big system. It was quite shocking to hear how good they sounded. My son then brought his Dynaudio MC-15 and the results, were pretty much the same.

Steve Williams

Having heard both of these speakers on several occasions what I would say is that the MMMicroOne is greatly underpriced whereas the Q1 is just as greatly overpriced however the 2 speakers IMO just aren't in the same ball park to compare.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing