Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOne loudspeakers

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
They one of the best sounding speakers I've heard for under $20k...

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Unbelievably good value! I heard them last year in Denver. They are the real deal. I don't know how Jonathan is making any money on them. :D

Btw, I am not an evolution acoustics fanboy; just an admirer. I used to own a pair of their bigger speakers. You won't find anything close to micros' performance under $18,000.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hi,

Which one of the bigger speakers you used to own? And what did you replaced it with???

thanks,
alexandre

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
i heard them twice and think they're a great buy at the current list price, you wont be making a mistake. i couldn’t wait and bought a different stand mount speaker i think is better and it didnt cost me $18,000 or even half that ;)

another issue for me was the lack of press with any evolution acoustics speakers, unless i cant find it I've only come across a few online reviews and not very substantive at that. it would be interesting to see it tested with JA's measurements and a comprehensive review by someone 'famous' if you will.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
i heard them twice and think they're a great buy at the current list price, you wont be making a mistake. i couldn’t wait and bought a different stand mount speaker i think is better and it didnt cost me $18,000 or even half that ;)

The great thing about these speakers are they only cost $2500... including stands.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
They sounded great at the California Audio Show 2011, paired with a Dartzeel something or other, really surprising.

Glory

Oct 28, 2011
Destin, FL.
$$$ sent out to buy these guys. They will replace my 103Db Zu Def2 speakers. Never heard them before but with so much praise I feel it is a safe move.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Hi

I have no doubt the MMmicro1 is an exceptional speaker but aren't we getting carried away a little bit? maybe a lot??? .. That's a loooooong list of speakers that this one would be superior to, for example:

Magnepan 1.7, 3.7 and 20.7
Thiel Cs 3.7, 2.7
Vandersteen 5A, Quattro
Wilson Sophia
Wilson-Benesch Vector
Martin Logan Summit X
Revel Salon
Von Scwheikert VR 33, VR 44, Unifield
Dynaudio Contour
Soundlab Elctrostatic
Sonus Faber Cremona
Magico S1
Rockport Mira

And apologies to the long list of speakers under $20K I have forgotten

For the record I like Evolution Acoustics speakers and one of their model could stop my current search for speakers but I needed to address these comments

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Hi

I have no doubt the MMmicro1 is an exceptional speaker but aren't we getting carried away a little bit? maybe a lot??? .. That's a loooooong list of speakers that this one would be superior to, for example:

Thiel Cs 3.7, 2.7
Vandersteen 5A, Quattro
Wilson Sophia
Wilson-Benesch Vector
Martin Logan Summit X
Revel Salon
Dynaudio Contour
Soundlab Elctrostatic
Sonus Faber Cremona
Magico S1
Rockport Mira

For the record I like Evolution Acoustics speakers and one of their model could stop my current search for speakers but I needed to address these comments

thank you and you forgot the quad 2905 - which in my book would never play second fiddle to the microones. the way i look at things, the mmmicroones are in the top rank of stand mounts at $5k and under and thats still saying a lot.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hi

Thiel Cs 3.7, 2.7
Vandersteen 5A, Quattro
Wilson Sophia
Wilson-Benesch Vector
Martin Logan Summit X
Revel Salon
Dynaudio Contour
Soundlab Elctrostatic
Sonus Faber Cremona
Magico S1
Rockport Mira

Frantz,

what do you think 'one of the best sounding speakers under $20k' means? which is all Bruce and i are saying. we are not saying better than all under $20k, or even equal to every one, just among the best.

that is how good we think it is.

do i prefer the MMini 1 to those on that list that i have a recollection of? yes. but i've not spent as much time with any of those as i have the MM1, and i've maybe not heard any of those others with as good electronics, and no doubt there are others under $20k speakers i don't know about.

and i have the Unifield 3's in my room right now on the same electronics i heard with the MM1.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

I re-read your post and should have done that before posting ... it could well be and I understand better MikeL and Dallasjustice enthusiasm ...

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Frantz,

what do you think 'one of the best sounding speakers under $20k' means? .

that's why i said ONE of the best.... I'd be perfectly happy also with the Revel Salon 2, Maggies, Sophia or the Vandy. The EA holds it's own against every speaker on the list and at $2500, that's saying a LOT!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Has anyone heard the MMMicroOne with electronics other than what we have always heard them played rather than $85K of cable, amps and preamps etc.

When I heard the speaker on many occasions it was always played with electronics and cabling that almost certainly will never be used with it. Using these electronics the speaker was magnificent for $2500 but honestly I would like to hear from others who have the speaker and are running electronics consistant with the cost of the speaker

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Has anyone heard the MMMicroOne with electronics other than what we have always heard them played rather than $85K of cable, amps and preamps etc.

When I heard the speaker on many occasions it was always played with electronics and cabling that almost certainly will never be used with it. Using these electronics the speaker was magnificent for $2500 but honestly I would like to hear from others who have the speaker and are running electronics consistant with the cost of the speaker

Wow Steve, I was just going to ask the same question and you beat me to it:)

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
that's why i said ONE of the best.... I'd be perfectly happy also with the Revel Salon 2, Maggies, Sophia or the Vandy. The EA holds it's own against every speaker on the list and at $2500, that's saying a LOT!

Thus my rectifying post and the emphasis on the ONE .. Point well taken

@Steve

Great electronics would not make a bad speaker good. I would like to know however how it does fare with electronics commensurate with its price... Judging by the usual Evo Acoustics its impedance willbe mild but its sensitivity (see microstrip :) , lesson learned) might require stout amplifers ..

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I never said great electronics would make a bad speaker sound good. That was NOT my intent. Rather it was my position that those buying a $2500 speaker aren't going to buy electronics such as what we have all heard the speaker with (which BTW was nothing short of fantastic and was in my top 5 rooms at CES and RMAF last year)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing