MSB Diamond DAC IV Reviewed By Stereophile

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Please pardon my ignorance. I have no technical background. When you use the word "conversion" is that DSD>PCM or something unrelated?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Ah well you've come to the right place to gain some knowledge. A ladder DAC like MSB's can accept DSD if there's a digital filter in between to do the conversion. The filter needs to be a low-pass to get rid of all the ultrasonic noise, and it will need to have very strong rejection of all that hash or it will get aliased back into the audio band. An FIR (finite impulse response, no feedback) structure will do the trick - but as the input is only single bit this can be a multiplier-less filter, hence relatively simple in hardware terms.

And would it be feasible to have that filter happen in software, when the required hardware is already in place?

In my layman's eyes, if you have a programmable DAC that's fast enough, and complete control of the software that keeps that DAC ticking, there's no reason why it can't be done.

I don't know hardware, but I do know software :D And if the hardware is fast/powerful enough, software becomes the limitation of what you can do. And, according to MSB, the DACIV is fast enough to handle 32/768 24 bit PCM, natively, in multibit. Don't see why it wouldn't be able to handle single bit 5.6Mhz (hardware-wise).

Unfortunately, AMR never had a rep. here in my country, so it's not so easy for me to listen to one. But Zanden just got a new importer, and I might be getting one for a trial run.

alexandre

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
And would it be feasible to have that filter happen in software, when the required hardware is already in place?

In my layman's eyes, if you have a programmable DAC that's fast enough, and complete control of the software that keeps that DAC ticking, there's no reason why it can't be done.

I don't know hardware, but I do know software :D And if the hardware is fast/powerful enough, software becomes the limitation of what you can do. And, according to MSB, the DACIV is fast enough to handle 32/768 24 bit PCM, natively, in multibit. Don't see why it wouldn't be able to handle single bit 5.6Mhz (hardware-wise).

Unfortunately, AMR never had a rep. here in my country, so it's not so easy for me to listen to one. But Zanden just got a new importer, and I might be getting one for a trial run.

alexandre

Hi Alexandre,

If you do decide to try the 4-box Zanden, some suggestions that make a serious difference between stock and 'better (imho)':

DAC
- Amperex 7308 NOS tube
- EAT Tube Damper
- HRS nimbus/damper products under/over each box
- PAD Dominus power cord
DAC PSU
- Mullard 6CA4 and Sylvania 6X4 NOS tubes
- HRS nimbus/damper products under/over each box
Transport
- HRS M3 isolation platform/nimbus couplers
- PAD Dominus Power cord

Basically, its a great player but does improve with tweaks. Enjoy.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The 6CA4 was one of the tubes that were sold by a variety of companies using a number of different labels. Because a 6CA4 has the Mullard logo doesn't mean it was made by Mullard. Ditto for Tungsol and the rest of the usual contenders. Mike Elliott from Counterpoint fame wrote an essay about this. You can read it about here: http://www.altavistaaudio.com/tubes.html#6ca4

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
lloyd,

Thanks, but I don't think the importer would be crazy enough to lend me the 4-box set :D But there's always hope...

Anyway, got word from Larry at MSB. DSD is native, not converted to PCM.

alexandre

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China

I don't understand the second half of your question but yes its entirely possible to build the filter in software, just pretty inefficient. Inefficient because software architectures these days are 32 or even 64 bits wide typically, whereas DSD is just 1 bit wide. Perhaps to gain efficiency though in software we could use a look-up table after packing all the single bit data into a 32bit word. Then we could probably operate efficiently but I haven't looked into this in detail. Anyway I see the point is moot now - you're saying its come from the horse's mouth that there's separate hardware to do DSD.

Simply because 24bits at 768kHz isn't equivalent to 1bit at 5.6MHz. Its a major overclock of the DAC - it'd be like saying I can run my Intel CPU 8 times faster if I only use the simple instructions. Doesn't work that way - bits and MHz aren't freely interchangeable.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Interesting. Does the Sonoma have vendor specific format converters? Not sure how the manufacturer specific links between transport + DAC work (I thought it was either encrypted or some propietary extension of the transmission protocol), but I'm pretty sure you cannot feed say the dCS DAC with the EMM transport, or the MSB transport into the EMM DAC.

You can use the ST-optical with Sonoma, EMM Labs, Mytek, Grimm and Playback Designs. They're all interchangeable

The dCS gear I had used FW to transmit DSD data.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I don't understand the second half of your question but yes its entirely possible to build the filter in software, just pretty inefficient. Inefficient because software architectures these days are 32 or even 64 bits wide typically, whereas DSD is just 1 bit wide. Perhaps to gain efficiency though in software we could use a look-up table after packing all the single bit data into a 32bit word. Then we could probably operate efficiently but I haven't looked into this in detail. Anyway I see the point is moot now - you're saying its come from the horse's mouth that there's separate hardware to do DSD.
No, that's not what he said. There is no separate hardware. It was the same ol' hardware, that gained native DSD capability via a software/firmware update.

The fact is that the DACIV is fast enough for both 32/768 and 1bit/5.6MHz, both natively, with the same hardware/DAC modules.

As for your "inefficient" point, I disagree. You can write 64-bit code to process 1-bit data, and be very efficient at it.

Honestly, I'd love for you to have a look at the MSB. It'd be great if more people could get a grip on it, and start writing custom filters for it.

alexandre

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
No, that's not what he said. There is no separate hardware. It was the same ol' hardware, that gained native DSD capability via a software/firmware update.

Round and round we go trying to make some semblance of order from the 'spin'. :D The same old hardware (which you have said tops out at 32X) cannot play any kind of stuff which requires 64X sample rate. End of.

The fact is that the DACIV is fast enough for both 32/768 and 1bit/5.6MHz, both natively, with the same hardware/DAC modules.

No, that's a claim. Don't confuse claims with facts, they're by no means equivalent.

As for your "inefficient" point, I disagree. You can write 64-bit code to process 1-bit data, and be very efficient at it.

I take it you're using a different meaning of 'efficient' to the one I was. I wasn't talking about the software engineer's writing efficiency ('You can... be very efficient') rather the hardware's efficiency.

Honestly, I'd love for you to have a look at the MSB.

You and me both - can't see it happening when there's so much smoke being blown though, can you?

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
So you're saying that it's impossible for the DACIV to play / accept both 32/768 PCM as well as 5.6Mhz DSD, using the same hardware? And that there's some "smoke" being blown around this issue?
Well, I don't see it that way...
It might be a claim, but that's a verifiable claim, unlike some of the smoke that's been blown around about NOS DACs. As I said, you can write code to run on that piece of hardware. If it doesn't run as fast as it claims, there ya go, claim debunked.
Of course, it's easier to claim something's amiss instead of really trying to understand what's going on...

alexandre

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
So you're saying that it's impossible for the DACIV to play / accept both 32/768 PCM as well as 5.6Mhz DSD, using the same hardware?

Nope. I don't confuse my understanding (which is limited) with what's possible. I'm saying I know of no way to make a DAC whose top speed limit is 32X play at 128X.

And that there's some "smoke" being blown around this issue?

Obviously, yes - and I'm not the only one to notice the smoke. As has been pointed out already, when this question is raised, the response is - tumbleweeds. Now if there wasn't any smoke, there would be clarifications forthcoming I rather think.

It might be a claim, but that's a verifiable claim...

Indeed its verifiable, but no verification has been offered to date, and clearly that's not for want of asking.

, unlike some of the smoke that's been blown around about NOS DACs.

I note with interest this deflection off-topic :p

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
guys you have lost me with all this stuff. However, as a proud owner of a new Diamond, I can say it is the best I have ever heard. I haven't heard them all so I make no claim to it being better than others or even a "smart" purchase. BUT in the end, the most important aspect is enjoyment and having gone through a long list of DACs, none has moved me the way the Diamond with the Galaxay does. First listen, I was hooked. I have had it for two weeks now and love it.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Priaptor,

It's my point exactly. Those that care to listen, are rewarded with excellent SQ both in PCM and DSD. Which sort of renders this argument about "smoke" pointless... Besides, where there's smoke, there's fire :p

I don't really think it's reasonable to expect the manufacturer to explain how he accomplished things. Since I'm not a hardware guy, I'm happy with the information I got from MSB so far, though I understand if the tweakheads are annoyed that they can't figure out how MSB did it...

alexandre

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Nope. I don't confuse my understanding (which is limited) with what's possible. I'm saying I know of no way to make a DAC whose top speed limit is 32X play at 128X.

How does the fact that the MSB supports up to 32/768 PCM mean this is the limitation of the speed of the underlying hardware? Wouldn't it be entirely conceivable it runs 32/768 at 1/4 of maximum speed (or even less)? If so, it could run 128x using the same hardware.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Priaptor,

It's my point exactly. Those that care to listen, are rewarded with excellent SQ both in PCM and DSD. Which sort of renders this argument about "smoke" pointless... Besides, where there's smoke, there's fire :p

I don't really think it's reasonable to expect the manufacturer to explain how he accomplished things. Since I'm not a hardware guy, I'm happy with the information I got from MSB so far, though I understand if the tweakheads are annoyed that they can't figure out how MSB did it...

alexandre

Agree. I am having a blast.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
How does the fact that the MSB supports up to 32/768 PCM mean this is the limitation of the speed of the underlying hardware?

It doesn't mean that - just would make more sense marketing wise if they were to use (and advertise) the full capabilities of the hardware in PCM mode. Why hamstring your own design and forfeit kudos?

Wouldn't it be entirely conceivable it runs 32/768 at 1/4 of maximum speed (or even less)? If so, it could run 128x using the same hardware.

Its conceivable certainly but I can't think of a marketing reason why they'd not support it for PCM. Can you?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
It doesn't mean that - just would make more sense marketing wise if they were to use (and advertise) the full capabilities of the hardware in PCM mode. Why hamstring your own design and forfeit kudos?

Its conceivable certainly but I can't think of a marketing reason why they'd not support it for PCM. Can you?

Yes I can. They are communicating what existing music formats are supported by the hardware, not what non-existing formats their hardware could theoretically support. Since these existing formats max out at 32/768, this is all we need to know. I for one would consider it bad marketing to communicate that the player can support anything beyond that, because it is a message geared towards engineers interested in specs, not people primarily interested in playing music. Not saying this is what is going on, but it is perfectly plausible to me.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
Yes I can. They are communicating what existing music formats are supported by the hardware, not what non-existing formats their hardware could theoretically support. Since these existing formats max out at 32/768, this is all we need to know.

To me what formats are supported at the input and what the output is doing are distinct and somewhat orthogonal. I wasn't aware of an existing recording format at 32/768 but please do feel free to enlighten me. In the discussions so far I haven't been remarking on what input formats are supported, merely on the output rate of the D/A.

I for one would consider it bad marketing to communicate that the player can support anything beyond that, because it is a message geared towards engineers interested in specs, not people primarily interested in playing music.

Yes, I agree here - its a distraction to claim to support input formats which can't in practice be supplied to the DAC. But that's entirely tangential to what I've been saying about output rates.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
What is interesting is how the internal processes of DSD over PCM (DoP) works from a transmission perspective and also receiver-DAC-clocking inside the audio gear (S/PDIF has many different receiver chips dedicated and able to do part of this).
http://dsd-guide.com/dop-open-standard

Is this the only way for consumers to play DSD without the PC media-play software converting to PCM (such as is possible with JRiver that can convert to 64-bit)?
I appreciate JRiver also supports DoP.

Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing