MSB Diamond DAC IV Reviewed By Stereophile

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Orb,

I'm not basing my comments on MC's review, but on my own listening to the gear. Of course, I'd love to read his review, but my subscription ran out, since I was expecting them to come out with a digital subscription, but alas, nothing so far...

Anyway, it seems he gave something like 200 points to the MSB. Is this before or after the Vivaldi? For reference, how many points did that get, or the dCS Scarlatti?

The plus model is just the DAC IV with a simplified Galaxy clock. So, DAC IV + Galaxy > DAC IV Plus.

thanks,
alexandre

After adding an Audio Research Ref5 SE, the score went up to 225. With the Ref 5, the score was the same as using the MSB volume control.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Orb,

I'm not basing my comments on MC's review, but on my own listening to the gear. Of course, I'd love to read his review, but my subscription ran out, since I was expecting them to come out with a digital subscription, but alas, nothing so far...

Anyway, it seems he gave something like 200 points to the MSB. Is this before or after the Vivaldi? For reference, how many points did that get, or the dCS Scarlatti?

The plus model is just the DAC IV with a simplified Galaxy clock. So, DAC IV + Galaxy > DAC IV Plus.

thanks,
alexandre
I would need to check with regards to Vivaldi/MSB.
Understood about the difference, why it will be interesting to see orther reviews about the DAC IV Plus in comparison to DAC IV without Galaxy clock.
I have to say the DAC IV has freaking amazing measurements, and that is without the upgrade clock.
Would love to hear the product myself, as seems to be one of the top runners against the sigma delta architecture DACs.

Cheers
Orb

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Alexandre, best to read the review tbh as I am not saying anything about further-better transparency (may had been my mistake using that word in my initial post) rather other aspects that changed.
The DAC IV is already incredibly resolving and transparent.
Edit:
Just to add MC feels it is one of the very best and probably the best DACs he has heard (DAC IV), this was without the additional clock.

Has anyone actually reviewed a plus model yet and in comparison to DAC IV?
Cheers
Orb

I saw MC has rated the Audio Note Fifth Element NOS Tube DAC (the one with a full M9 preamp inside it...2 box configuration with separate PSU)...at 450 points. And he thought the Ref 5SE and the Evo402e might be holding back the performance of the Fifth Element DAC.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Lloyd,
that the Vol6/no2 issue (Apr-Jun 2012)?
Will need to look and find it, pain in back side when subscribing to 5 paperbased publications :)
Cheers
Orb

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd,
that the Vol6/no2 issue (Apr-Jun 2012)?
Will need to look and find it, pain in back side when subscribing to 5 paperbased publications :)
Cheers
Orb

Yes, that looks like the one. Good review. I've only read a few like that from MC. One was the Krell FPB650...a complete resetting of the bar, the Wilson X1 Series 1...another resetting of all expectations of the possible, and to a lesser extent the Guarneri Homage. And this article suggests it sets another bar without doubt...in much the way the X1 did in 1994.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Thanks Lloyd,
although tbh AN makes MSB look cheap, and then I prefer engineering detail and implementation of the MSB as well.
However this may be academic as I do own Metronome C5 Signature anyway.
Cheers
Orb

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Trying to get the USB drivers to work with the MSB.

Everything installs just fine, but then the only output option that shows up are "speakers" not any USB device. So I cannot get the PC to output to USB. Any idea what is going wrong?The driver is installed and working. I have output set to ASIO in JRIver, using the MSB Asio driver.

Any suggestions?

Screen3.jpg

Screen.jpg

Screen2.jpg

Last edited:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Quick update. The speaker icon is not a problem - this is how the DAC shows as an output device in windows. I was still was not getting sound. MSB then informed me there are (a) compatibility issues with some version of the SotM card, (b) issues with audophile USB cables that are not build to USB specs.

So I finally got it to work using a standard USB cable, but still having problems getting my CAPS 2.0 to see the DAC. This is probably related to the SotM card. In any event, I can now compare USB direct with AES/EBU trough the Offramp 5, and if I get Dirac Live to work on my CAPS 2.0 I can also compare Dirac on the PC with running through an outboard Trinnov box, versus using no DRC at all.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Sunday afternoon shootout results:

Offramp 5 USB converter versus MSB USB input. Verdict: MSB USB wins handily.

Trinnov room correction on/off. Still easily prefer Trinnov over no DRC. So my target configuration is to get dirac live running on my server, use USB direct into the MSB and ditch the Offramp 5. The Trinnov stays for multi channel only.

Since I finally got the MSB USB input set up, I was able to play some of my SACS rips via DoP. Verdict: DoP beats conversion to PCM in Jriver hands down. Also, I have Friday night in San Fransisco as DSD SACD rip, 96/24 PCM dowload, and 44/16 rip. DSD rules.

Femto clock will be arriving on thursday - more shootouts ahead next week-end. Hopefully I can get dirac live to work as well by then.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
MSB IV Plus vs MSB IV

Alexandre, best to read the review tbh as I am not saying anything about further-better transparency (may had been my mistake using that word in my initial post) rather other aspects that changed.
The DAC IV is already incredibly resolving and transparent.
Edit:
Just to add MC feels it is one of the very best and probably the best DACs he has heard (DAC IV), this was without the additional clock.

Has anyone actually reviewed a plus model yet and in comparison to DAC IV?
Cheers
Orb

Hi Orb,

I replaced my MSB IV dac with the new IV Plus a month ago.

I did a direct comparison : IV Plus vs IV vs IV Signature. All of them were with the Signature Powerbase & a MSB Data 4 cd transport.

IV Plus KO the IV easily : quieter; more solid images within the soundstage; much more analog-like & musical sound.
IMHO the IV Plus is on par with the older IV Signature that doesn't have Femto/Galaxy clock.

I can image that the IV with the add-on Galaxy clock will be even better.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Hi Orb,

I did a direct comparison : IV Plus vs IV vs IV Signature. All of them were with the Signature Powerbase & a MSB Data 4 cd transport.

IV Plus KO the IV easily : quieter; more solid images within the soundstage; much more analog-like & musical sound.
IMHO the IV Plus is on par with the older IV Signature that doesn't have Femto/Galaxy clock.

I will plunk a new Femto 140 clock (plus status) into my signature IV this evening, adding another datapoint to the discussion.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Orb,

Hey CK...great to hear from you again. Congrats!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
MSB's USB2 Signature 384 option

Sunday afternoon shootout results:

Offramp 5 USB converter versus MSB USB input. Verdict: MSB USB wins handily.

Trinnov room correction on/off. Still easily prefer Trinnov over no DRC. So my target configuration is to get dirac live running on my server, use USB direct into the MSB and ditch the Offramp 5. The Trinnov stays for multi channel only.

Since I finally got the MSB USB input set up, I was able to play some of my SACS rips via DoP. Verdict: DoP beats conversion to PCM in Jriver hands down. Also, I have Friday night in San Fransisco as DSD SACD rip, 96/24 PCM dowload, and 44/16 rip. DSD rules.

Femto clock will be arriving on thursday - more shootouts ahead next week-end. Hopefully I can get dirac live to work as well by then.

Hi edorr,

I installed the USB2 Signature 384 option on my new MSB IV Plus too.
When I received the USB option package, I thought it looked small in size, ugly & cheapy for the high price of USD1395.
However its performance is surprisingly good. No wonder you say that it's better than the Offramp5.

BTW I find DSD file playback via USB very enjoyable.
Do you have the new Opus DSD Sampler? They are amazing!
http://shop.dsdfile.com/category/samplers/

Cheers,
CK

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Hi edorr,

I installed the USB2 Signature 384 option on my new MSB IV Plus too.
When I received the USB option package, I thought it looked small in size, ugly & cheapy for the high price of USD1395.
However its performance is surprisingly good. No wonder you say that it's better than the Offramp5.

BTW I find DSD file playback via USB very enjoyable.
Do you have the new Opus DSD Sampler? They are amazing!
http://shop.dsdfile.com/category/samplers/

Cheers,
CK

I played all of two DSD tracks to date. Both sounded phenomenal, and much better than what I recalled from the PCM conversion. I will download some DSD and HirRez PCM of the same recording from channel classic to do an apples to apples comparison between the formats.

Thanks for the Opus link. I was wondering where I could get my hands on some dss128 content.

I bought my DAC with USB installed, so thankfully I never had to go through the experience of being reminded I just paid over a grand for $50 worth of electronics. It sounds pretty damn good though...

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
DSD file playback

I played all of two DSD tracks to date. Both sounded phenomenal, and much better than what I recalled from the PCM conversion. I will download some DSD and HirRez PCM of the same recording from channel classic to do an apples to apples comparison between the formats.

Thanks for the Opus link. I was wondering where I could get my hands on some dss128 content.

I bought my DAC with USB installed, so thankfully I never had to go through the experience of being reminded I just paid over a grand for $50 worth of electronics. It sounds pretty damn good though...

Hi edorr,

IMHO DSD file playback possesses some magic. They are more musical than PCM high resolution files which are sometimes too raw/direct/tiring.
I have such feelings when comparing the 2L DSD samples & DXD samples obtained from their website.

BTW I will have an interesting shootout tomorrow : my IV Plus vs my friend's MSB IV with external Antelope Audio Trinity+10M atomic clock combo.
The Antelope Audio flagship atomic clock combo is not chopped liver. The price is much higher than a Femto140 add-on option but the latter shall be more accurate and located much nearer to the dac circuit.
I will report the shootout result in this forum later.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Hi edorr,

IMHO DSD file playback possesses some magic. They are more musical than PCM high resolution files which are sometimes too raw/direct/tiring.
I have such feelings when comparing the 2L DSD samples & DXD samples obtained from their website.

BTW I will have an interesting shootout tomorrow : my IV Plus vs my friend's MSB IV with external Antelope Audio Trinity+10M atomic clock combo.
The Antelope Audio flagship atomic clock combo is not chopped liver. The price is much higher than a Femto140 add-on option but the latter shall be more accurate and located much nearer to the dac circuit.
I will report the shootout result in this forum later.

True, but well recorder plain 44/16 can sound so phenomenally good and musically satisfying I don't lose one minute of sleep over what format I am playing and try to just focus in the content side of things....

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
True, but well recorder plain 44/16 can sound so phenomenally good and musically satisfying I don't lose one minute of sleep over what format I am playing and try to just focus in the content side of things....

Agree with you 100%. The content is more important than format/sonic quality.
And i have many CD and am too lazy to rip them. haha

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing