A second arm for my table, some cartridge options.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I am thinking to get a second arm for my Luxman PD555 turntable (I already have a Scheu arm and a Mantis MC cartridge) so I thought that an MM cartridge could be a good idea to consider.

The arm in question could be a Jelco 12 incher, I was looking for some recommendations for MM options (Audiotechnica, Supex or Ariston are already in the list).

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I am thinking to get a second arm for my Luxman PD555 turntable (I already have a Scheu arm and a Mantis MC cartridge) so I thought that an MM cartridge could be a good idea to consider.

The arm in question could be a Jelco 12 incher, I was looking for some recommendations for MM options (Audiotechnica, Supex or Ariston are already in the list).

There's a long winding thread on MM carts over on Audiogon. I bet you would get some answers there. I only have MC carts so I can't render any opinions.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
early last year i needed to get my beater roksan xerxes/rega rb300 running and asked several people whos ears i trust and the goldring 2500 came up a few times. good advice as it is superb...bass slam and dynamics that you dont get with a MC. doesnt have the nth degree of detail and air like a great MC but the backgrounds are so delightfully quiet and dare i say CD-like. for a phono stage I used the chinese knock-off of curl's vendetta and the noise floor at full volume shames any high-gain phono amps ive owned.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
early last year i needed to get my beater roksan xerxes/rega rb300 running and asked several people whos ears i trust and the goldring 2500 came up a few times. good advice as it is superb...bass slam and dynamics that you dont get with a MC. doesnt have the nth degree of detail and air like a great MC but the backgrounds are so delightfully quiet and dare i say CD-like. for a phono stage I used the chinese knock-off of curl's vendetta and the noise floor at full volume shames any high-gain phono amps ive owned.

I'd also check out the Soundsmith cartridges.

BTW, I think the MCs not having bass slam and dynamics (I'll compare it to tape) is a myth and a product of the days where phono sections didn't have enough gain. Not only that -- so much of dynamics and bass are traceable to the arm and table! Also, don't go mistaking overblown bass for slam :)

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I think the 12" Artemis Labs tonearm that Frank Schroeder designed sounds very good. If I remember correctly, it runs around $3,500.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
There's a long winding thread on MM carts over on Audiogon. I bet you would get some answers there. I only have MC carts so I can't render any opinions.

yeap, I know Raul pretty well, that thread has almost 5 years old and is un-readable now (many posts, opinions, etc..) - he recommended me the three options I started with, thanks!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City

Agreed, Goldring is great. I just added it - thanks!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City

BTW, I think the MCs not having bass slam and dynamics (I'll compare it to tape) is a myth and a product of the days where phono sections didn't have enough gain. Not only that -- so much of dynamics and bass are traceable to the arm and table! Also, don't go mistaking overblown bass for slam :)

Soundsmith added (actually I use to spend at his show room some after-hours to chat at RMAF) thanks! (we always end up talking about Bozak history) :)

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
In that price range the Jelco is a good bet. A Fidelity Research FR-64s would be another to consider if you can find one cheap enough.

I like the 12" Reed 2A but it would be above your price range used.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011

if a myth i probably read it in TAS ;) and you're absolutley right a lot has to do with arm/table compatibilty. it doesnt hurt that a MM output is 6mv, also perfect for running into my marantz 7 phono stage clone. everyone has their favorite test Lp they use when they tweak or setup a 'table, mines the MFSL of little feats waiting for columbus with the goldring mounted in the rega arm on a xerxes 'table the sound was pretty f'n good!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing