Kuzma 4 point

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
uh oh. Déjà vu ... :)

Dre

Uh oh what? I don't know if there is an accepted "right way" or "wrong way" to install a cartridge. I just know "my way" which doesn't involve hanging my cartridge over the balcony by the skinny tonearm wires.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Uh oh what? I don't know if there is an accepted "right way" or "wrong way" to install a cartridge. I just know "my way" which doesn't involve hanging my cartridge over the balcony by the skinny tonearm wires.

Agreed.

When Jazdoc posted about JV's blog of my setup procedure (as he observed it) the one thing I was surprised by was the comment by some that the order of the attachment of the wires. I claimed "Switzerland" on the thing but noted that I prefer attaching the cartridge first based on long experience (including many years outside the hobby) with small gauge wires even pointing out some arms with extremely delicate wires.

The old thread is located here: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?8580-TAS-Article-on-Cartridge-Set-Up

Dre

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Oops! You are right. I forgot about that thread and the fact that I had already commented on the exact same thing. I just don't understand how you are more likely to drop the cartridge when you are installing it to the tonearm than you are likely to drop it while you are attaching the four wires. Clumsy is as clumsy does I guess.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Agreed.

When Jazdoc posted about JV's blog of my setup procedure (as he observed it) the one thing I was surprised by was the comment by some that the order of the attachment of the wires. I claimed "Switzerland" on the thing but noted that I prefer attaching the cartridge first based on long experience (including many years outside the hobby) with small gauge wires even pointing out some arms with extremely delicate wires.

The old thread is located here: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?8580-TAS-Article-on-Cartridge-Set-Up

Dre

I usually loosely attach the cartridge to the headshell first. But OTOH, if you had an attached arm say like an SME, you might want to do it in reverse to be slightly kinder to the bearings. Since the VPI arm wand is detachable, it doesn't make any difference.

Also, and I don't recommend this for anyone else, I have good manual dexterity and prefer sliding the wires onto the pins with my fingers than using tweezers. I don't find a good feel with most tweezers save for the ones that Bob Graham supplies with his arms. Those tweezers are special. Wish I knew what happened to mine :(

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Agreed.

Dre

Same here. Watching the cart hang by the wires is pretty scary, and may put more strain on the wires than is wise. I just tighten the cart down enough to make sure it's not going anywhere. Then twist the cart so the pins point to the right and attach the tonearm wires. I have no problem getting the wires on with my fingers. It may be safer to use tweezers to remove the wires from the cartridge, but as long as you can grasp them by the pins and not the wires you will be ok. That is what I usually do.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I usually loosely attach the cartridge to the headshell first. But OTOH, if you had an attached arm say like an SME, you might want to do it in reverse to be slightly kinder to the bearings. Since the VPI arm wand is detachable, it doesn't make any difference.

Also, and I don't recommend this for anyone else, I have good manual dexterity and prefer sliding the wires onto the pins with my fingers than using tweezers. I don't find a good feel with most tweezers save for the ones that Bob Graham supplies with his arms. Those tweezers are special. Wish I knew what happened to mine :(

Forget the tweezers... I just got some needle holders from the hospital! I also saw something that looked like hemostats or a short 5" needle holder type of instrument in the local bait/tackle shop that you use to make lures.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I think it's a bit odd that the tonearm cable is attached to the armwand and moves with it. Wouldn't that cause friction/impede movement in the horizontal plane?

I mount the cartridge first, then attach the clips. No way the thin VDH wire on my tonearm would be able to hold up a cartridge.

Last edited:

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I think it's a bit odd that the tonearm cable is attached to the armwand and moves with it. Wouldn't that cause friction/impede movement in the horizontal plane?

I mount the cartridge first, then attach the clips. No way the thin VDH wire on my tonearm would be able to hold up a cartridge.

Good catch. Most tonearms have to move a small loop of the tonearm wire, but the 4point has to move the whole cable. That can't be ideal.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Good catch. Most tonearms have to move a small loop of the tonearm wire, but the 4point has to move the whole cable. That can't be ideal.

Ok, good to know someone else saw that :)

Though the photo on Kuzma's site shows it coming out of the base. It seems Peter has a different version of the tonearm.

4pt.jpg

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I don't think it is moving the tonearm cable. The arm pivots on the upper movable tonearm base. The only thing I see moving with the tonearm are the thin wand wires that go into the tonearm cable.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
In the first video when he moves the arm wand the whole cable moves. In the second video it does not move the the whole cable. So he must have edited out the part when he attached the tonearm cable to the base.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Anybody compared against the 313 VTA? Same Equipment?

A dealer told me it is only the last 5%.....

Josef

I cannot quantify the differences between the Ref 313 VTA and the 4Point, but going from the Stogi Reference to the 4Point yielded huge improvements. I think a more interesting comparison would be between the Ref 313 VTA and the Stogi S 12 VTA.

FKUZMA

Feb 10, 2014
Hi,

being a designer of Kuzma 4Point tonearm I would like to clarify confusion regarding how is done wire loop on this tonearm.
Photo on post #52 is correct: All 4Point tonearms always had big wire loop in this position when tonearm is set up for use.
Tonearm 4Point does not have detachable cable so during transport cable is secured on small pin on armwand with tube to avoid any forces on thin wire loop.
Thus makes it easy and safe to handle during transport and mounting. But after you insert armwand with tube onto bearing, you release screw which holds black metal cable holder on pin and reposition it on second pin which is on VTA tower support.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Anybody compared against the 313 VTA? Same Equipment?

A dealer told me it is only the last 5%.....

Josef

No, it's not. I had the 313VTA on my Kuzma Ref., and the 4Point is considerably better. Bass is better, fuller, and the naturalness is just incredible.
The 313 isn't bad, but the 4Point is something else.

alexandre

FKUZMA

Feb 10, 2014
Hi, Rockitman,

Yes that is correct- that is the reason why is there a wire loop.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Thank you for clarifying, FKUZMA and welcome to the What's Best Forum.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing