Dead Can Dance fans: new album is great.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Dead Can Dance - Anastasis.jpg

The new DCD album, Anatasis (Which means resurrection in Greek) is really great.

Cinematic..Gothic, yet modern sounding. Relatively good recording too.

For you Lisa Gerrard fans, the album is a bit heavy on Brendan Perry vocals.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I have all their other CDs, I'll have to get this one soon.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Wow. I was beginning to think I was weird for being hooked on 4AD and Beggar's Banquet bands. I feel normal again. I'll check this one out. :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---Yes Jack; you are normal, Gary too, Andre as well, so am I. :b

* Andre, I'm a CD (SACD) guy; I'll just buy the CD. :b
[But I'll check that 24-bit download as well, and compare prices, I mean Sound.]

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
View attachment 5373

The new DCD album, Anatasis (Which means resurrection in Greek) is really great.

Cinematic..Gothic, yet modern sounding. Relatively good recording too.

For you Lisa Gerrard fans, the album is a bit heavy on Brendan Perry vocals.

Thanks...like DCD a lot, just got MFSL Into the Labyrinth and already have MFSL Spiritchaser. BTW if you go to amazon, there is a notation next to the photos of the album in the top left...it says this album is a 'victim of the loudness wars'...and shows some kind of measurement indicating it does not present a very wide dynamic range.

What do you think?

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Thanks...like DCD a lot, just got MFSL Into the Labyrinth and already have MFSL Spiritchaser. BTW if you go to amazon, there is a notation next to the photos of the album in the top left...it says this album is a 'victim of the loudness wars'...and shows some kind of measurement indicating it does not present a very wide dynamic range.

What do you think?

I can't speak for the CD but I think the vinyl edition sounds great. I demo'ed it at the last Philadelphia audio group meeting and lots of jaws dropped.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I can't speak for the CD but I think the vinyl edition sounds great. I demo'ed it at the last Philadelphia audio group meeting and lots of jaws dropped.

thanks...good to know. on the one hand, i have to imagine that DCD's latest album must sound great. On the other hand, this is exactly what the notation said...basically that most other DCD albums are well recorded...but this one is a victim of loudness wars and was disappointing in this regard.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I am getting the LP this afternoon, and attending live by November here in Mexico, love the band!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

What do you think?

I did not think was such bad offender. It certainly is "louder" than their
previous albums. I will have to evaluate it in this regard.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
---Yes Jack; you are normal, Gary too, Andre as well, so am I. :b

* Andre, I'm a CD (SACD) guy; I'll just buy the CD. :b
[But I'll check that 24-bit download as well, and compare prices, I mean Sound.]

You will probably pay a $5 premium for the 24 bit download.

Notice they passed on higher sampling rates and DSD, which is the new
false god of audiophiles..no rock or pop groups are investing in it.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Well, I bought the LP which has a code for a digital download - vinyl sound quality is average, nothing to die for.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---I know it's just a very rough estimate, and I did not want to bother of sharing with you guys, but now flez helped on that. :b

On the first day that Andre came with the news I sampled all the tunes of this latest DCD album;
just to hear if it would 'navigate' my boat. ...But helas, just 30 seconds from each tune did not persuade me.

Like I said, it is very tough to judge from such short samples, but it is still what it is.

* Flez, do you like the musical content of their latest effort?

But I do love [4AD] 'The Serpent's Egg' and 'Into The Labyrinth' best. :b

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
---I know it's just a very rough estimate, and I did not want to bother of sharing with you guys, but now flez helped on that. :b

On the first day that Andre came with the news I sampled all the tunes of this latest DCD album;
just to hear if it would 'navigate' my boat. ...But helas, just 30 seconds from each tune did not persuade me.

Like I said, it is very tough to judge from such short samples, but it is still what it is.

* Flez, do you like the musical content of their latest effort?

But I do love [4AD] 'The Serpent's Egg' and 'Into The Labyrinth' best. :b

I do, it follows the same structure, and by that I mean it is a little tedious, but I liked it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing