VPI HW-19 Turntable

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Hello all,

I have the VPI HW-19 turntable which I love. I have added the acrylic platter. I am using a Jelco 750D tone arm switching the Denon 103d, Sure V-15 and Grado Reference cartridges. My preference is the Grado because of it's great display of large scale choral works. For jazz and orchestral stuff I prefer the Denon or Sure V-15. Here is my problem.

I am having problems with a bouncing turntable and tone arm whenever anyone walks across the floor. Everything is original on the VPI except the newer platter and record hold-down. Any suggestions please. Thanks for all input.

jazzbo

Mr Bojangles

Aug 28, 2012
Hi

You may need a wall-mounted shelf but the HW-19 is rather big and heavy. My other thought is to mount the turntable in a sandbox which should obviously be 'decorated' and disguised as to its real purpose.

Mr Bojangles

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Hello Mr. Bojangles,
Thank you for this mention. This sounds like an excellent idea. I will have to look around for a box that will do the job. On the other hand, I do plan to look at the studs in the wall. If my drywall is laying right on top of the studs I might try long bolts and use of heavy duty 100 to 150 pound shelf supports. My TT weighs about 60 pounds so should not pose a major problem. Thanks again sir. You have been most helpful.

jazzbo

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS

I am having problems with a bouncing turntable and tone arm whenever anyone walks across the floor. Everything is original on the VPI except the newer platter and record hold-down. Any suggestions please. Thanks for all input.

jazzbo

I had a similar issue with my mkIII. Replacing the springs with VPI's Sorbothane pucks (from the jr) cured the problem and changed the sound, as well. The TT was more Rega-like in its speed and articulation. More upfront, less hazy. The soundstage, however, became noticeably more shallow and worst of all, motor noise was now evident. As in audible. I likely don't need to expand on the sonic drawbacks.

To make a long story short, I reinstalled the springs, but with a few twists (no pun intended). First, I cut a number of discs to match the spring perches from an old Oracle mat, and installed one between the base and the lower spring mount along with another on top of the spring assembly. Frankly, the effects of this were not drastic, but audible. It also occurred to me that VPI's spring arrangement isn't all that unlike a coilover suspension. As such, it can be tuned with changing the rates of the dampers (ie. the foam inserts). After playing around with a bunch of options, I settled on a combination of closed-cell foam surrounding a Sorbothane insert. For clarity, this is inside the spring.

To my humble ears this move retained the VPI's layering and its easy-going presentation, and added greater dynamic contrasts and a better sense of transient attack. No motor noise to speak of, nothing like before, and no bounce on shaky floors. HTH

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing